• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duke Nukem Snuffed Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy X

3D realms has stepped in to ban a mod maker from making a Duke Nuken based on the HL2 Source engine :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050125_135828.html

This is really sad considering that the mod would probably be the only Duke Nukem that we'd probably get to play before 2008 . I guess we'll have to continue waiting for Duke Nukem Forever ( pun fully intended ) .

Incidentally I prefer to call it Duke Nukem For-Never and in rally-racing DNF stands for 'did not finish ' , that may indeed be a fitting abbreviation .

I love the fact that if you link to the Duke Nukem website, they are still showing the screenshots they released for the game about four years ago!

Hopefully when it comes out, it'll be somewhat decent. If it takes until 2008 to have a grade-A story line (Deus Ex, HL, etc) then I personally think it will be worth it.

There's nothing more important to me in a game than a storyline. When you get a game that has a spectacular story, it's like seeing an awesome movie, or reading a great book. That's what counts (IMHO).

if they still have screenshots from four years ago than chances are they too so long to make it that the graphics became obsolete and they are remaking the game over and over again :eh?: :temper: :mad: .

MonroeM said:
Hopefully when it comes out, it'll be somewhat decent. If it takes until 2008 to have a grade-A story line (Deus Ex, HL, etc) then I personally think it will be worth it.

There's nothing more important to me in a game than a storyline. When you get a game that has a spectacular story, it's like seeing an awesome movie, or reading a great book. That's what counts (IMHO).

Indeed, but since when have the Duke Nukem games had a storyline?

This game, can't do anything but suck.

At it's best it will be another doom 3. Look at better stuff like Fear and Stalker. :cool:

Is 3dreamls doing okay finacially?

I wish they'd just go under and have to sell the IP to someone competant. Sh*t or get off the pot 3drealms.

Duke Nukem isn't about story line or plot.

Its about attitude, style and gameplay. DN3D was amazing. I will be buying DN4Ever.

And about shutting down someone copying there game. Duh. You cant just copy someones game. Good for them. Let people liceances stuff. Instead of just ripping it off.

9mmCensor said:
Duke Nukem isn't about story line or plot.

Its about attitude, style and gameplay. DN3D was amazing. I will be buying DN4Ever.

And about shutting down someone copying there game. Duh. You cant just copy someones game. Good for them. Let people liceances stuff. Instead of just ripping it off.
Yes, make them pay to license the ideas to make somthing that is going to be relased for free, based on a 7 year old game. Makes sense to me.

MonroeM said:

Fully agree.

Games like Doom that are long on graphics and short on story are boring, unengaging, and overall a waste of well-earned money.

While Doom and DN3D are both FPS, they are each in a league of their own. I love both, but gotta hand it to Duke Nukem just for the sheer humour and bad-*** factor it brings.

Hail to the King, baby :thup:

RAMMAN said:
if they still have screenshots from four years ago than chances are they too so long to make it that the graphics became obsolete and they are remaking the game over and over again :eh?: :temper: :mad: .

I wondered about that too... though it's probably false. If DNF ever sees the light of day, it will probably suck something fierce.

IMHO, the problem 3D Realms will be facing is repetitive gameplay. I agree w/ the other guys who said DN never really had a story behind him, but now-a-days people want variety... and all the DN games just give you a gun, some health, a paragraph of the badly-written story, and send you on your way. New Age gamers will be pissed.

I don't know what they're doing over at 3d realms. Do they want their game to have the most badass tech so each time something new comes out they start over? You can't do that, you'll never release anything. Plus, it goes against the duke3d spirit. Duke3d used the boring old 2.5d build engine but still did well against the more advanced quake. And frankly, graphics are overrated. I'd take a game with cool AI, dynamic enviroments, good modding base and interesting weapons with last years graphics over todays latest and greatest graphics any day.

More importantly, I think they've just plain missed the boat on DNF. Duke3d was an awesome title when it came out...but frankly duke 3d with better graphics just isn't going to do much for me anymore. Yeah, I totally understand the "when its done" POV regarding games, since most are shoved out the door before they are finished...but what has it been...8 years or something? How long does it take to make a game?

I dunno, maybe it will come out and be awesome, who knows.

But that guy getting sued, he should just do what Duke's creators did: Make a ripoff character. King Blastem. I find it amusing their going to sue of duke nukems IP when so much of what made duke nukem, duke nukem was stolen directly from B horror movies with bruce cambell.

And its not like "space aliens with big guns" was exactly the most original idea ever conceived either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back