• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd backups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

i just installed an OS and all the software on a client's computer. I want to use my DVD burner to make an image of that hard drive in case I ever need to restore it. What program would I use to do this? Ghost?

sramjones

Disabled
your best bet is to make a partition on your main hard drive of about 5-8 gig depending on size of all info on hdd. then install ghose on main c:\ parttition and then back it up. then put the ghose image on the 5-8gb partition and then u may also back it up.. That is the most efficient way in my opinion been using that way for abot 2 years. also backup your registry and put it on the partition. becouse ghost doesnt do the registry

OP
pummer

pummer

i thought ghost made an exact image of everything on the drive...

if it doesn't, that's what i need a program to do

CrazyP

ghost does, I dont know what he is talking about not backing up the registry. it backs up everything, at least ghost 2003 does which is what I have. ghost 2003 supports backing up to DVd, CDs, Hardrives, Networks, you name it

shadowdr

Nero 6 does dvd backups in windows as does the corporate version Of ghost.I have used the Nero version,it makes a bootable dvd for an easy reinstall.Worked very well as i keep windows on its own partition so fitting on 1 dvd was no problem.The version of Norton 2003 I got had GoBack instead of Ghost Which would not work on an a raid array.

jhl3

Ghost usually does well. I've only had one instance where the clone drive wouldn't boot. Re Ghosted and it booted.

deRusett

IF I used Ghost to image my drive, would I need to keep ghost installed on my system after making the image? When I tried ghost it had a stupid systray Icon, I'm not really a fan of using extra resources for a program I only need to use once

CrazyP

i just type "services.msc" in run and disable the service. I restart it the same way if I need to make a backup.