• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This Amiga 500 was left outside for years. Let's try to revive it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

This brings back memories :clap:

It's time for another poor neglected retro computer -- this time we have an Amiga 500 which was left outside for years. Here in Oregon that means rain -- lots of rain. Can this poor computer ever work again? Let's give it a try!

Time to continue working on the Field Found Amiga 500. In this video let's try to run some software on the computer to make sure I actually fixed it in part 1. Unfortunately, this work didn't go exactly to plan!

We have the final installment in the field found Amiga 500 saga. When I first unboxed this computer, I had my doubts that this machine would ever work again. So when it had signs of life in parts 1, I suddenly realized that it was indeed possible it would live to play another game. So in this part, the machine finally gets the TLC is deserves and is all back together.

This is interesting, modern SCSI interface to use an SD card to emulate an HDD, how big can you go? :unsure:

Last edited:
I have Bondwell 8 from 1984, which is as yellow as this Amiga and wasn't even outside. It works, but it only has Basic on a floppy, no HDD or anything ... if you want to use it, then first program your own software ;)

With old hardware, it was possible, but I bet that no one will resurrect current hardware in 20 years. Well, even now, people have problems fixing current hardware, and that's why many devices are officially not repairable. RMA looks like a money back or a new device, as long as it's under warranty.

Old gaming consoles like Gameboy are still fun to mod or bring back to life. There are many old games that are still fun. Somehow Amiga or Atari were "fun" in the past, but I doubt anyone would say the same nowadays.

Last edited:
The guy did say that some of the chips aren't made anymore (probably for quite a few years now), so it was a very good thing to have a "scrap box" with parts cannibalized from other systems if you were going to try something like this. Personally I still have the Amiga nostalgia, it was my 1st proper "computer" and gaming rig, but I wouldn't buy older hardware to play it, much rather have an emulator with all the roms/games and just use it on my current rig :shrug:

I bought a Gameboy Color and modded it with the new LCD. It was more that I wanted to make it than I really wanted to play it. Modding kits are on Aliexpress, but it will still cost around $100 in total for a used GBC + modding kit and shipping. I couldn't afford it when I was a kid and always wanted one. Another thing is that I bought 10 games ... I still wish for one of the Zelda games, but these titles are at sick prices. Since it lasts for about 9 hours on batteries and with rechargeable even less, I found a USB->GBC power cable on Amazon, and I used to play with a connected power bank. I passed 2 or 3 games, and it's collecting dust right now :) I highly doubt that Nintendo Switch will be so popular in 15-20 years. It's much more complicated with multiple parts that can break, and replacing some components won't be worth the money. For the same reason, investing in laptops nowadays is a waste of money. They are too fragile, too expensive, and they change so often that you won't get spare parts in 2 years.

Ah, but that's the point of nostalgia, if you're enjoying yourself and your product (whatever it is), the money spent on it is worth it right? Nowadays the hardware is plentiful and generalized, there's nothing that really stands out with the possible exception of the Chinese GPUs with waifu theming and custom case modding. Back then everything new seemed completely different from the last as technology boomed, so in my opinion it made it far more eye catching then today's stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back then, you could afford new stuff. Now, you can't afford mid-grade stuff that is still too slow to enjoy everything as you wish. Back then games were simple but were a lot of fun for many days, weeks, months, and people were coming back to them. Right now, games are for one weekend and cost $70 (with some exceptions that cost $50-70, but are for a couple of weeks).

Back