• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I plan on picking up a DVD burner this week and was wondering which one you guys would recommend. I don't want to to have to spend too much. I don't really care about the speed either. If it's 4x I'm fine with that. However I was wondering which type of disk plays in most DVD drives. Any ideas?
Duck

ToiletDuck said:
I plan on picking up a DVD burner this week and was wondering which one you guys would recommend. I don't want to to have to spend too much. I don't really care about the speed either. If it's 4x I'm fine with that. However I was wondering which type of disk plays in most DVD drives. Any ideas?
Duck

Take a look at the Lite-On 451S, TDK AID+440N, also look at the Sonys and Plextors. I can speak for TDK's and they are really good. The TDK's are rebadged Plextors I am positive. I mean just compare the two. I used to have a Lite-On DVD Player and it was really good, so I can't really speak for their burners though but a lot of people use them.

I personally have the TDK AID+840(G). It is a really good burner. I picked it up from Staples for $200-40 MIR. I thought that was a good deal considering that Newegg wanted $225 for it.:p

EDIT: The Lite-On 451S is a updated version of the 411S. I don't know the difference but I am sure the 451 is a revised 411S. I saw them talking about this on another forum.

I just got one of those "new" 451S from Best Buy during the holidays and paid $79.99 after rebates, which was great since this thing works at 4x and handles "+" and "-" media.

The other really good and affordable DVD recorder that was recommended here was the NEC 1300A and the Pioneer 106.

I would say that the Lite-On would be best money wise. If its not an issue PLEXTOR is the best quality but more expensive. I dont know about them being the same as TDK though.

PiMpShiN said:
I would say that the Lite-On would be best money wise. If its not an issue PLEXTOR is the best quality but more expensive. I dont know about them being the same as TDK though.

The Plextors and TDK are the same. Atleast the TDK model 840G looks identical to the Plextor. I mean just compare them on newegg sometime if you get a chane/time, then I think you will agree with me.:)

what about the lite-on 811s?

8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW

it's only $149, newegg.

Hi,

DON'T get a Liteon DVD Burner IF you plan to use it in an old VIA chipset based mobo (Apollo/PRO, KT133,...). They simply do NOT work in most cases. I'm sure this will be solved quite soon by Liteon or VIA, but in my case... well, I returned my burner yesterday for this reason.

Regards
FTC

Back