• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD+R/DVD+RW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if you take the Sony one, you still gotta decide on your DVD media, get both DVD-R and DVD+R media and burn it and then put it in a DVD-ROM Drive or make a home video or something and burn it and see for yourself which is more compatible.

Or if you have a DVD-ROM Drive already , check to see which DVD media it can read, I'm sure not everyone wants to buy a DVD-ROM with Sony's name on it (Sony's DVD-ROM Drive, the newer ones also support both medias), so it can support both of it.

I personally would ALSO check the prices of DVD-R and DVD+R media so you can make the judgement for yourself.

I for one would support the DVD-R medias since its cheaper for "me" and also I think the Pioneer (A05) is better than the sony, all sony's got is the +/- combo in one riding on it.

DVD-R works on LG/Pioneer/Asus/Panasonic/Lite-on DVD-ROM Drives.

While "I" could only find Sony and Lite-on (DVD+RW) for DVD+R media

So...I should get the sony then because it supports both formats.Whichever one wins the battle I will win either way.

Ok the difference between DVD + and - burners is actualy the reflectiveness of the disk although - is the best for burning movies or video to be played on home DVD players or standard DVD rom drives. + disks will not play on most home entertainment DVD players while the - will this is due to the majority of players being sold when only - was available. + on the other hand is best for Data and back ups due to the fact it recorders beter with a lower faliure rate. In the long run i would recommend the Dual format sony especaily if it's for burning of home movies to be played on other peoples DVD players. I have both home Cinema DVD player and 2 in my PC and disk burnt on + media will no play on my home DVD yet play on my PC's DVD drives while DVD- plays on all drives....as you can see from my Sig i'm using the Sony and after trying others this happens to be the best and i can recommened getting Nero 5.5 also. So if you byuy the Sony you can buy the media for what you are doing i have both + & - media one for burning of movies and video's to people over sea's and the other for originals of the films made for storgae and HDD back up

+ is for data dvd's
- is for movie dvd's

the standard will be both together (you can quote me on that :cool: ), 2 drives are out already with both standards (sony and nec) another is coming soon

5 more posts to 1000 :D

A380 i was only quoting what came on all the loose leaf paper in my Sony DRU 500A. any other information would be great as i video edit in my spare time and burn to DVD for clients so the more info the happier me and my clients are! :D Also thanks for the link that is really useful especailly the compatibility listing!!! you made me vewy vewy happy

Last edited:
Cool im using a few at the moment for just throwing stuff together i use Winproducer no bells or whistles but very good for just throwing a story board together mainly use Premiere 6.5 with after affects took a while to get into especaily as i bought the English version. Also there is no difference between Data disks and Video disks only the price as some of the money goes to the movie industry ( correct me if im wrong please:D )
:D

A380 said:
+ is for data dvd's
- is for movie dvd's

That'S not true!
I've got a DVD+R with self made video on it! You can have video on + or on - and you can have data on - or on +.

It's the same with the CD-ROM. You can store games on it and Videos (SVCD). Videos are the same as data.

A380

I said "for" not "only for"

Johnny Knoxville said:

I said "for" not "only for"

Sorry Johnny but you are still incorrect i use both DVD + Data and video disks and also DVD - Data and video disks remember that there are only two dual format DVD burners on the market. After reading the forum A380 gave it tells you the differences + is actually the beter format it is not as reflective as the - disks and there for can not be read by some older DVD drives / players also the quality of the burn is better. As for movies or data they are the same it makes no difference what type of disk you use wether it be specific for Video or Data same with standard CDs it it has for video on it or for music all it means is that a percentage goes to either record or film producers/companies or athuorities in the area/country the disk is bought in. Technicly the only worry there is is for like me that your disk burnt on either a + or - disk will not play on another player

A380 said:
@Johnny Knoxville
It sounded like "only for". And still for is not correct and as i think makes people believe things that are not correct.
You can use + and - the same way.

A380

yeah you can but most standalone dvd players can read -, and most dvd-roms can read +

Back