• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Writer Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

My DVD-ROM drive just died on me last week and since I am in the process of upgrading my computer I am considering stepping up to a DVD Writer, however I don't want to spend the extra 50 or so dollars on one if it's not worth it.

Right now I see myself getting a DVD Writer just to say I have one, but when I bought my first CD Writer back in the days when an 8X writer was $400 I had the same mentality and we all know how useful a CD writer is now. So for those who own a DVD Writer how useful has it been for you guys?

Thanks.

Just got mine not long ago, but havent really used it. I have a lot of large files like 700MB+ movie files that may need backing up and I liked the idea of 4.5GB on a disk.

i love mine and could never go back to just a cd rw. the media is expensive but copying DvDs (for backups) is real useful. also i can just burn 5GBs worth of crap on it as storage instead of having it all on my HDD..(stuff i dont use much but dont want to delete). i usta burn VCDs and it was a real pain..having to break up large files and burn them onto multiple CDs ect. well you get the point. :p

Drec said:
i love mine and could never go back to just a cd rw. the media is expensive but copying DvDs (for backups) is real useful. also i can just burn 5GBs worth of crap on it as storage instead of having it all on my HDD..(stuff i dont use much but dont want to delete). i usta burn VCDs and it was a real pain..having to break up large files and burn them onto multiple CDs ect. well you get the point. :p

Drec, if I wanted to copy DVDs (for backups) and I only have the DVD-Writer, is there a program you use to let you copy the DVD or will I have to get a new DVD-ROM as well? Thanks.

yeah google it, find a progg thatll let you rip it to your hard drive, or create a disc image.

Dont know how I lived without a CD burner for so long...I mean 1.44mb floppy disk is not much.

Now I dont know why I waited so long to buy a DVD burner.

I use DVD Shrink...Works like a champ...Makes really good backup's...Easy to use.

Linky

In the guides section it gives you an interactive tutorial on DVD Shrink and Decrypter.

I really like the 2500A NEC's...The dual layer 2510's can be had for about 10.00 dollars more...Lite-On DVD burners are also a good choice because of the firmware updates.

I like the NEC's a little better even though their support is no where to be found...Smoother and quieter...Seems to be a much more precision piece of hardware...In my humble opinion of course.

Believe me once you get a DVD burner you will wonder how you did without one for so long... :)

I just got a Lite-On SOHW-812S and flashed it to an 832S giving me dual layer support. DL media is very expensive right now, but it will be a nice thing to have when DL media gets cheaper. The NEC 2500 is also flashable to a 2510 giving it DL as well. I would go with either Lite-On or NEC since they are good, cheap drives.

Backing up DVD movies is easy if you have nero. You can get DVDShrink which will decrypt the movie and let you shrink it to fit on to a single layer DVD. Most retail DVDs are dual layer so you have to either remove the extras or compress the movie to get it to fit on a single layer DVD. Some movies you will have to do both, but not very many.

Or if you have Nero 6 Ultimate it has Nero Recode2 which is the same as DVD Shrink except it doesn't remove the encryption. If you would rather use Recode, than you can use DVD Decrypter to remove the copy protection.

Thanks all for your inputs. I plan on getting a Lite-On SOHW-812S writer soon. Figured after what you guys said its worth the extra $40 for one.

Dermen said:
I just got a Lite-On SOHW-812S and flashed it to an 832S giving me dual layer support. DL media is very expensive right now, but it will be a nice thing to have when DL media gets cheaper. The NEC 2500 is also flashable to a 2510 giving it DL as well. I would go with either Lite-On or NEC since they are good, cheap drives.

Dermen, I remember seeing something about this, but I don't remember where. Where did you get the file to flash from? Was it easy to do and have you verified that it worked? Thanks.

Its very easy to flash. There is a program called omnipatcher that allows you to flash to an 832S. It also allows you to make other changes to the firmware.

I suggest you visit http://www.cdfreaks.com and read the lite-on section.

I haven't burned any dual layer media to tests it since it costs so much. But all my programs say that the burner is an 832S now. And people at cdfreaks have burned dual layer media with the flash.

Back