• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVR or PVR HD How to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davekusa

Is it possible/How do I :

Make my own DVR / PVR for HD. I have a few extra quad core and dual core computers sitting. I have HD cable and don't like paying for the box and the remote.

Would also be nice to recorde 2 shows and watch a third channel in HD.

What card or box do i need and what software?

Get a TIVO HD with a multi-stream cable card. I got one a few weeks ago after my ReplayTV died & have been very happy with it. You still have to pay $2-$6 a month for the cable card, but you don't need the DSTB or their remote anymore.

It has dual tuners, not 3. You can record two things at once, then watch a third that was previously recorded. You can expand storage space with a portable eSATA HDD too.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetails.do?boxName=renewed-180hourtivohd&type=renewed

ninja edit: DSTP = digital set top box :)

Is it possible/How do I :

Make my own DVR / PVR for HD. I have a few extra quad core and dual core computers sitting. I have HD cable and don't like paying for the box and the remote.

Would also be nice to recorde 2 shows and watch a third channel in HD.

What card or box do i need and what software?

for HD channels recording, there's currently only 3 ways to do it.

1. OTA (Off The Air) HD tuner, which could capture off the air HD channels (channels will vary depends on your location, but most likely you'll only get your local channels) via an antenna. no monthly fee STB needed.

2. HD Homerun tuner, (I never used one, so I might be wrong in the following description) which it's a dual tuner (so two shows at the same time whether you're watching or recording), it get non encrypted HD channels (ClearQAM) directly from your wall cable outlet. again, channels will be vary a lot depends on your local cable company how many channels they haven't locked up. usually your local channels, and some lucky dude also got channels like ESPN, Discovery, etc. but don't count on it tho as the cable company could change their mind anytime! I "think" this one also no STB needed(?).

3. Hauppage's HD PVR tuner. it's a single tuner (means only one shows at a time), currently it's the only way to record/capture ALL of your cable/satellite HD channels. it work by using the analog output from your STB (calbe/satellite) to avoid the DRM/copyright/etc. issue from the HD STB. you will still need to pay for the STB and the extra HD channels fee tho.

you can record or watch as many channel as you like as long as you have enough tuners in your HTPC. just remember, one tuner input per each session (watch or record), so, if you want to record 2 shows and watch another 1 at the same time, you'll need a total of 3 tuners to do that. (that's in theory only, when you starting to get ridiculous amount of tuners to watch/record at the same time, your HDD might starting to be the limiting factor! but we are talking about a dozen or more tuners!)

pretty much any PVR software will let you do that. e.g. SageTV, BeyondTV, VMC (but it doesn't have HD PVR support), MythTV, etc.

good luck.

Back