• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Email Hacked :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So my MSN email account that I've had since the age of dial-up was hacked it appears. I'm guessing someone finally figured out my password. I'm not sure what to do now. I've already changed my password to something a lot stronger. It terms of the 53 emails I have sitting in my inbox about that are delivery failures, or the 20 something in my sent messages. Also a support ticket had been made to navyfield and Creative! Thank fully the navyfield guys just blocked my email (and I didn't even realize I still had an email for them). But how do I go about "damage control"? Also do I need to report this to MSN? Will they do anything? Seems like they should check the logs and ban the ip that did this..

From the Navyfield website.

A few tips for safe and enjoyable battle.
1. NEVER tell your NF password to anyone. Not even ¡°TeamNF¡±. If you abide by this simple rule you will never run into any account loss issues. (Please see ¡°How not to get OMG HAKKED¡± in the Tip and Tactics Forum for further clarification.)
2. Do not attempt to buy a game account or game item with real money. This is highly prohibited in game. Your account may be suspended for doing this
3. Try to use ¡°Manual FCS¡± if you are able to. It is a thousand times (give or take) better than Automatic. It¡¯s hard to master, but well worth it once you know how to use it
4. There are many underage players enjoying the game. Therefore, please try to be mindful and well mannered while playing. Your account can be suspended for swearing, being rude, or otherwise causing others offense
5. NF may be pretty addictive, but please do not play too much. If you are spending hours upon hours per day in NF please contact us so we can help by temporarily blocking your account until you can find a nice girl (or boy) friend
6. Do not spend too much money on Navy Field. It¡¯s just a game. We want you to just enjoy it; do not make it your life (unless we post a job notice)

ROFLMAO @ number 5.
:clap:

[Off Topic]
I thought you guys were the same person with the same avatar
[/Off Topic]

I'd email everyone in your contacts list and tell them that someone has hacked your account and not to open any attachments form you.

I believe someone is in the wrong thread.

uh lol?

I would run virus scans right now and get a nice password with both uppercase lowercase letters + numbers. Most likely the guy was running under a proxy if he where to spam and hack you. **** anyone off in the past few weeks lol? I dont see why someone would log you unless it was just for spam by any email or targeted you specificly for more reasons.

Perhaps you? The OP mentioned that Navy thing.

yep, it did. That's why I had to go look it up.

@zbo There's still a few of us old timers who still have the Memorial avatar. I doubt I will ever change back to my Computer Abuser avatar.

To Shelnutt2, sorry for the hijack. It was unintended.

Yeah Navyfield, haven't played that since the beta years ago. Didn't even know I still had their email in my address book, lol.

I know it probably coincidental but I just changed ISPs from earthlink via brighthouse to roadrunner. In the 7 years I had my msn email account never had an issue. Two weeks after I switch to roadrunner, bam!

Also, I don't see the need to run a virus scan, I'm in linux :D. (I know linux isn't invunerable, but show me a good AV client? ClamAV? AVG Free? All just detect windows viruses so we don't accidentally spread them).

Yeah I'm going to send out a mass email, although it doesn't look like any attachments just this message:
Dear
We have the honor of contacting with you today.
We get your info in internet and now we would like to have a brief introduction about our

company for your
We are integrated high-tech enterprise specializing in the development, manufacturing and

sales of electronic
products in China. We have over ten years of experience in this industry. And our excellent

service has been
successfully established and highly recognized in the domestic market as well as abroad.
The Huge brand of our products comply with Europe environmental friendly standard, EC and

enjoys the users favor
of Europe, USA and South-east Asia, etc, which annual output is about thousands and millions

of pieces!
Our commitment is to satisfy your requirement, please trust that we will be your reliable

business partner for our
good reputation, good quality and competitive price!
If you are interested in our product, pls feel free to contact with us or visit our website
www.ele*****.com
Choosing us, marching to win-win!
Best regards,
Mail : elec****@y188.com

L 7

(and thats how it's formated, no bad copying..)

Perhaps you? The OP mentioned that Navy thing.

I remember going back through the first post and not seeing anything with the word navy in it. I went back today and found it though, only took me 2 days.

That's what you get when you go to the forums without your glasses on, kiddos.

Unless you had a really easy password it's more likely somebody figured out your "secret question" then your password.

- Use strong passwords
- Use different passwords in all services
- Use something like Keepass / KeepassX to manage those passwords (remember to take periodic backups of the key database file)
- Make sure the secret question is not something anyone can figure out, or disable it
- Use HTTPS for accessing login pages, not HTTP, especially if you are on a shared network

That's a good starter. Of course on top of this you would still have to make sure you don't use any computers with keyloggers.

For a linux user you might want to run chkrootkit and rkhunter. Not 100% sure, but definitely better then nothing (and does not take a lot of time).

Sent: Sun 12/13/09 2:46 AM

Dear
We have the honor of contacting with you today.
We get your info in internet and now we would like to have a brief introduction about our
company for your
We are integrated high-tech enterprise specializing in the development, manufacturing and
sales of electronic
products in China. We have over ten years of experience in this industry. And our excellent
service has been
successfully established and highly recognized in the domestic market as well as abroad.
The Huge brand of our products comply with Europe environmental friendly standard, EC and
enjoys the users favor
of Europe, USA and South-east Asia, etc, which annual output is about thousands and millions
of pieces!
Our commitment is to satisfy your requirement, please trust that we will be your reliable
business partner for our
good reputation, good quality and competitive price!
If you are interested in our product, pls feel free to contact with us or visit our website
www.electbay.com
Choosing us, marching to win-win!
Best regards,
Mail : e*******@y188.com

Way to go man, way to go... :D Not that I use my hotmail anymore. I've seen other contact's MSN accounts get jacked too, not sure how it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a linux user you might want to run chkrootkit and rkhunter. Not 100% sure, but definitely better then nothing (and does not take a lot of time).

I did so and system came back clean, didn't know about those. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just had the SAME thing happen to my Hotmail account (sent out an email to all my contacts from what I can tell telling them about this electbay website) - which I've also had since 28.8 days. Dang it! Very embarrasing - already had a couple people email me and say "WTF?"

Make sure your secret question is not easy to guess, and that your password can't be brute forced with a dictionary.

Back