• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 1060/1070/1080 overheating issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, evga has not admitted they were supposed to be there, correct? Those are your words/opinion? I just want to make sure the facts are out on the table for those that come by and read the thread.

I stated EVGA said it was an oversight, Just going on what I've read on gamers nexus.

"EVGA admitted to GamersNexus that the lack of thermal pads between the VRAM and VRM components and the heatsink was an "oversight," but did think the issue to be somewhat blown out of proportion by the internet. We even agreed, to some extent, but warned that high ambient or high case ambient could exacerbate the issue to a point of concern for owners."

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario

But it isn't an oversight, nor has evga admitted anything in materials I have seen. Let's not put words in their mouth again. :)

Nothing I've said has put words in their mouth, unless possibly the oversight thing, but then half the internet is too :)

Ahh good... that is what I contested but you didn't support it when I asked. You put up guru3d links. ;)

:confused: didn't meant it like that, apologies. Maybe a coffee refill is in order :p

Well if its real that "hundreds of people" complained i would call that bad no ?

I read through all the links on the internet and only 1 person (Mydst) had the FTW card burnout. Unrelated problems were Black screen full fan speed problem, happens on all makes of nvidia GTX 1080 or GTX 1070.

Last edited:
Ha! Yeah, saw that... this won't be good at all...but you can't fault their response to it (replace the card or send thermal pads).

I agree. This is where EVGA's customer service has the opportunity to shine, and I expect they will. I almost skipped over the story at first. It's going to take a while to get used to being on Team Green. LOL

I'm not convinced that this is directly to do with the lack of thermal pads though, it's kind of like the reference 480 PCIE power problem.

Many people tested the reference cards on older motherboards and they simply shut down when exceeding the PCIE specs.

That saying the 480 problem and this EVGA issue would probably be a factor in exposing faulty or weak components, and therefore why you see some things burning out.

Haha - the article calls it an "ATX" cooler, not "ACX".

This article is doing nothing more than citing the ranting of about 15 people on various websites.

After all the searching I have done, I have only found 2 pictures and 1 YouTube video of a burned card...and the fact that the guy just happened to have his phone out and pointed at his PC for the flame is dubious...

OK, so the thread title needs to be updated to include the GTX 1060 also. Also several posters in the link above mentioned being stuck in the approval loop, so its possible EVGA is having problems with the logistics of getting the thermal pads shipped out. Further in many countries, EVGA does not offer the "Advanced RMA" so those owners will be inconvenienced if they choose to get a replacement card. And altering the fan profile will make the cards noisier, which will annoy those who purchased EVGA cards thinking they might be quieter than other models. In addition, most owners are not at all like the members here and are not going to feel comfortable updating the BIOS on a graphic card or self-installing thermal pads anyway. So EVGA will be dealing with lots of RMA exchanges IMO. Finally, I'm kind of surprised by some long-time members and mods here coming on so strong in defense of EVGA. I see this on other sites where members line up in camps supporting their favorite corporate entities. One of the things I like most about this site is that this so seldom happens here.

OK, so the thread title needs to be updated to include the GTX 1060 also. Also several posters in the link above mentioned being stuck in the approval loop, so its possible EVGA is having problems with the logistics of getting the thermal pads shipped out. Further in many countries, EVGA does not offer the "Advanced RMA" so those owners will be inconvenienced if they choose to get a replacement card. And altering the fan profile will make the cards noisier, which will annoy those who purchased EVGA cards thinking they might be quieter than other models. In addition, most owners are not at all like the members here and are not going to feel comfortable updating the BIOS on a graphic card or self-installing thermal pads anyway. So EVGA will be dealing with lots of RMA exchanges IMO. Finally, I'm kind of surprised by some long-time members and mods here coming on so strong in defense of EVGA. I see this on other sites where members line up in camps supporting their favorite corporate entities. One of the things I like most about this site is that this so seldom happens here.
Feels like I was just called a fanboy... not sure it could be any further from the truth, but hey, you are entitled to your opinion too.

Note its difficult to wrap your head around it when you ask what kind of apples someone has and they talk about an orange. :p

I haven't owned an EVGA card for the record. I have reviewed many, but never hung on to or bought one... nice try though.

Let's bring this back, though its my fault for responding to that nonsense...twice, to the issue at hand and not anyone's personal preferences please. :)

What's funny is the sheer number of VRM failures on 290/290x's with proper cooling and no one batted an eye. A handful of EVGA cards are affected by either an idiot trying to play furmark for hours at a time, or a **** poor case setup and everyone looses their mind.

I have a literal stack of 980ti's in my work PC with zero room between the cards. I guarantee the VRM section runs hotter, yet no one has even died.

to one just browsing through this post it sure seems as though several have jumped on one persons statement of ill towards EVGA. That I find sad, to just call someone out over having some discoloration on a heatsink.
It seems that many have some serious confidence in EVGA's customer service. My only (attempted) interaction with them was when a board failed me, and I didnt recieve any response at all- and emailed them twice! Luckily, Microcenter's return period covered me- just had to make a 2 hour drive to Dallas to trade it in for a different board. I have been told that I must have been the outlier as they are usually very good- cant say that for myself.
I have purchased other EVGA goods since then, and no other issues to date

I specifically bought this 1070 because it was quiet and ran cool. I don't mind installing the thermal pads, but I won't be updating my bios to increase the fan curve.. This is in an ITX case as well. I updated it to 'fix' the micron memory clock issue, but won't be doing the one after to bump up the default fan curve, otherwise it defeats the purpose of buying this particular card.

I'm a little annoyed but at the same time in a mindset of 'eh, shrug' as tech is always changing, stuff happens, who cares. I've run my card in this enclosure hitting 82 degrees on the core (which would then supposedly lead to assumed higher VRM temps, 10 odd hotter than a full size case with solid airflow would normally be), and so far haven't had any issues and confirmed mine comes from pre end august batch (supposedly the one with the VRM issues).

Last edited:
Back