• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX1070 FTW worth the extra $$$?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v1ks_

Hi guys,

Looking for a new GPU and wondering weather the 1070 FTW is worth the extra money. Over here, in the middle of nowhere, the prices are rather high to begin with. The FTW costs around 20eur/23usd more compared to an SC GAMING version of 1070.
Apart from the RGB bling-bling, is there any reason to spend those extra 20 euros? Dual BIOS, 10+2 phases and a larger cooler is nice, obviously, but from what I understand it actually has little to no impact when it comes to overclocking, or the temperatures for that matter.
Your thoughts, guys?

The temperature are VERY important for overclocking: even if the nVidia GPUs ared esigned to run up to 90c, they usually scale pretty well with low temps. That said, I don't think it will make a difference between those 2 air coolers...

VRM's, no, no impact unless benching on DICE/LN2.

WIth those low watt cards, the diffrerence will be the sillicon lottery on ambient cooling..

The temperature are VERY important for overclocking: even if the nVidia GPUs ared esigned to run up to 90c, they usually scale pretty well with low temps. That said, I don't think it will make a difference between those 2 air coolers...

VRM's, no, no impact unless benching on DICE/LN2.

WIth those low watt cards, the diffrerence will be the sillicon lottery on ambient cooling..

So you'd go with the SC GAMING instead of the FTW (unless RGB LEDs are a necessity)?
I do understand the importance of cooling when it comes to OC'ing. However, so far I've actualy seen higher/better clocks on the SC GAMING cards, than on the FTW (actually there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about FTW on the web).

They will all top out around 2000-2050 mhz really... the SC version appears to be reference while the FTW has a better VRM, dual bios, etc.

They will all top out around 2000-2050 mhz really... the SC version appears to be reference while the FTW has a better VRM, dual bios, etc.

Indeed, hence I'm wondering, weather it's worth spending extra, considering they all top out around 2000Mhz+. I'm somewhat inclined to think that all that larger cooler/better vrm/dual bios stuff is naught but marketing, giving no tangible improvement for the end user.
Am I missing something? :)

I don't think you'd see any realistic difference that isn't going to rely on luck of the draw with silicon lottery. Otherwise you're paying $20 for RGB lighting options.

Nope, you nailed it! ;)

Edit: the ONLY GPU's worth throwing extra money in are the EVGA Classified and KingPin Edition, as they use top binned pieces of silicon.

I have a 1080 FTW.

The second BIOS increases the max power draw of the card.

When I went to the second bios, the average draw didn't increase. But the core clock speed stabilized more, and I was able to get an extra 50 MHz of clock.

If you're planning to flash the BIOS at any point, get the FTW.

Nope, you nailed it! ;)

Edit: the ONLY GPU's worth throwing extra money in are the EVGA Classified and KingPin Edition, as they use top binned pieces of silicon.

I doubt there will be KPE/Classified GTX1070 as there are only the highest GPUs in these OC series.

FTW is the only "non-reference" GTX1070 from EVGA ( I'm not counting cooler as it doesn't matter ). It has double everything: power section, power connectors, BIOS ... and higher TDP but who cares about wattage :)
Simply if you want GTX1070 with higher ( at least theoretical ) overclocking headroom then FTW is one of the best options on the market. However right now all GTX1070 are overclocking the same so if you are going to play games and not much more then I don't know if it's worth to pay more.

That's always on air cooling right? What about WC? Is it worth the extra $$ if u WC both the SC and the FTW?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I still haven't decided which one to get. On one hand, I actually want the RGB-bling, on the other, I'm not sure I like the fact it has 2x8pin and non-reference board. It would be a no brainer, I guess, if the dual bios and 10+2 VRMs actually did something, but... they don't, for me anyway.
Ehh, choices, choices, choices!

@Itachiii tbh, I don't think is worth the $$$ to WC a 1070. Better use that money to buy an 1080 or something.

the one advantage I have seen between the sc/ssc cards and ftw is that the chip tends to run cooler and tend to be quieter overall, other than that the performance, with fraps off, looks the same to my eyes.

I bought the FTW DT just now, it was priced competitively enough and ACTUALLY IN STOCK.

I have no window on my case :p

Oh and speaking of case, make sure yours is big enough. WOW what a massive videocard!

@Itachiii tbh, I don't think is worth the $$$ to WC a 1070. Better use that money to buy an 1080 or something.

Well, the 1080 is 25% faster than a 1070 and it costs 200-250€ more where I live. So the 25% extra power is not worth the premium just for gaming (since I'm not benching or anything). Therefore, the 1070 seems like a better choise overall for me

Last edited:
Well, the 1080 is 25% faster than a 1070 and it costs 200-250€ more where I live. So the 25% extra power is not worth the premium just for gaming (since I'm not benching or anything). Therefore, the 1070 seems like a better choise overall for me

It's the same here, but unless you already have a loop built and just need the GPU block, the price to put the 1070 under water is ridiculous (unless you're looking at some AIO solutions). Even if you do have a loop, a block + backplate + bits'n'pieces will set you back around what, 150eur? So you'd be spending about 75% of what it would cost to get a 1080, to watercool a 1070, which would net you a higher overclock, that would still leave you some 10 - 15% away from the performance of a stock 1080. Just not worth it, from price-performance point of view.

I bought the FTW DT just now, it was priced competitively enough and ACTUALLY IN STOCK.

I have no window on my case :p

Oh and speaking of case, make sure yours is big enough. WOW what a massive videocard!

Psh, they're not big! I'm replacing a Palit GTX980 Super JetStream. Now that one was one the larger side and I had trouble with the side panel of my ITX case (Cooltek W1, aka Rosewill Legacy W1).

Most likely will be going with the FTW. Finding it hard to say no to RGBling...

And what if u throw the 1080 under water? :p 789€ for the 1080 + block + backplate + misc. we're reaching about 950€ . Then you can wait for the 1080ti which will cost about 900€ and will be stronger than the 1080 and... you understand what I'm trying to say here :p the 1070 FTW @ 1440p gaming is just fine imo, since I'm not benching or trying to run flat-line-60 fps at any game. I might be seeing things wrong, but ultimately the 1080 will still be 20% faster, give or take, than the 1070.And since i'm watercooling any card I take, those 250€ are not worth it. Unless if the 1080's OC capabilities and scaling make it worth.

It's the same here, but unless you already have a loop built and just need the GPU block, the price to put the 1070 under water is ridiculous (unless you're looking at some AIO solutions). Even if you do have a loop, a block + backplate + bits'n'pieces will set you back around what, 150eur? So you'd be spending about 75% of what it would cost to get a 1080, to watercool a 1070, which would net you a higher overclock, that would still leave you some 10 - 15% away from the performance of a stock 1080. Just not worth it, from price-performance point of view.

Psh, they're not big! I'm replacing a Palit GTX980 Super JetStream. Now that one was one the larger side and I had trouble with the side panel of my ITX case (Cooltek W1, aka Rosewill Legacy W1).

Most likely will be going with the FTW. Finding it hard to say no to RGBling...

2.jpg

That's not an optical illusion, it's one inch wider than the 960 FTW

I had to move my hard drives around.

9.jpg

Back