• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXTREME case mod and ovcerclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kind of what I was trying to get at with my last post.

Though there is a caveat:
Non-Conductivity: As with all Non-Conductive fluids, PC ICE can become conductive if it comes in contact with excessive dust or other fluids that may be conductive. The Non-Conductive aspect of PC Ice is used as a safety measure only. It is always a good idea to keep your system clean and free of dust, especially in a water cooled system. PrimoChill is not responsible for any hardware damage. Use at your own risk

Things are not looking good right now. I think I'm going to buy a few different kinds of oils and see which one suits my purposes best.
They didnt look good for the other 23455465 people that posted this either. ;)

Every year on all forums I go to new people chime in about this and just walk away as its not practical, hardly effective, nor worth the mess.

YOu can just google mineral oil computers and see the rare success rate, but again, practicality and effectiveness come into play. I know thats not exactly what you are doing but fundamentally the reasons against are the same and strongly outweigh the benefits....though Id like to actually see someone follow through with it. Will you be the one? Doubt it, but Im pulling for you!! :attn:

They didnt look good for the other 23455465 people that posted this either. ;)

Every year on all forums I go to new people chime in about this and just walk away as its not practical, hardly effective, nor worth the mess.

YOu can just google mineral oil computers and see the rare success rate, but again, practicality and effectiveness come into play. I know thats not exactly what you are doing but fundamentally the reasons against are the same and strongly outweigh the benefits....though Id like to actually see someone follow through with it. Will you be the one? Doubt it, but Im pulling for you!! :attn:

Have a point there. I failed with my attempt.

If you do decide to go with it know this : MINERAL oil sucks for submersion so I wouldnt try mineral oil.

You're never moving the computer again.....it's gonna be hella heavy. Draining it out would be the only way to move it, and you'd have to do the draining in increments since you can't just dump it down the drain.

Well I am going to go through with this, but I'm going to put my old pentium 4 pc in first to see how it goes. If all is well with the pentium 4 I'll put the comp that I am building right now in, and do some overclocking with the gulftown I'm getting.

Here's a similar setup that is actually being manufactured: Link Here

3373.jpg

So... basically what was done here is: everything is submerged in some proprietary oil 'coolant' (probably nothing special), and then a secondary coolant system works similarly to a water cooling setup. The GPU's, CPU, PSU's, and NB/SB are all run through a coolant loop using specifically designed coolant blocks in which some sort of coolant (most likely the same proprietary stuff) is run through the loop and cooled in a large radiator.

I asked my dad (he's a senior engineer at the Dow-Corning HQ) what the purpose of oil cooling was, and this is what he said: Oil cooling is only used in situations where lubrication is also required, and when operating in temperatures below ambient is not required. Oil works extremely well in cars for example, it 'soaks' up alot of heat and lubricates as well. It also can carry away debris and the engine has no need to operate below ambient temperatures. In extreme overclocking, below ambient is absolutely necessary (I see most pots WELL below 0*C). Oil works great as a surrounding atmosphere and was in fact used in the Cray 2 super computer mainframe for cooling. So submerging a PC in oil alone is almost pointless. However, combining oil submersion with a primary cooling system like a W/C loop would work well, just not for extreme overclocking.

Basically, if you're goal is to make a system using a really cool looking and functional cooling system and extreme overclocking isn't your main goal, then an oil system would be cool. However, you might want to consider a primary cooling solution to work within an oil submerged environemt if you do wish to achieve extreme OCing. Regarding the freezer idea, oil has the ability to soak up extreme amounts of heat and does not dissipate it very well. The oil would have to be chilled in a freezer for hours before turning on your PC, and then be re-chilled for hours more after only a little bit of use.

A suggestion: Build an oil submerged environment with cooling sub-systems similar to a W/Cing setup. Personally, I think LN2 is your best bet for uber-OCing. However, a sealed case with a sealed I/O plate on top (like most oil-PCs) filled with oil cooled by the radiator from Puget Systems and then an insulated (as in the tubing would be insulated) water cooling type loop that 'dumps' heat into a freezer unit using like dual 120.3's and a few pumps would be really cool.

@Dooms101

Damn. Kind of ruined my idea for me. But thanks for the info. My uncle (who is a computer engineer) said he might be able to get me this special coolant his buddy uses ( also a computer engineer) to find max clocks for cpus. Apparently it is non-conductive and cools faster than water and takes in heat faster as well. He uses it like a traditional water cooling setup but I think it will suit my purposes well. ( If it doesn't cost a fortune that is.)

Well, completely submerging the PC in the coolant you just suggested would work quite well if you used very large (like any standard 120mm vertical CPU cooler) heatsinks and actually directed a convection current from hot zones up and over in a loop to a cooling zone then back over. So basically a loop. It's pretty safe to say almost anyone who's heard of this has come up with their own crazy ideas for it, and I am not exception. My idea was to create 2 connected 'zones'. The first containing the hot stuff (basically all the components) with the mobo turned down so the GPU's were faced downward allowing their HS's to be closest to the bottom. Everything would have very large surface area coolers on them. The flow of the oil would be directed using fans on the 2 connecting 'bridges between the hot zone and cold zone. Standard 120mm fans would work fine. I would use a custom aluminum cooling grid that would be carried out of the oil 'case' to a symmetrical aluminum grid where it would be air cooled or even chilled. Effectively a super-aided convection current. This idea is HIGHLY impractical though and very time consuming... but very tempting still.

Well if you still do plan on cooling the oil using a freezer or whatever, and plan on using a pump I suggest asking a for a viscosity spec sheet at different temperatures. Oil becomes more viscous at lower temperatures.

Hmm maybe It's the sleep depravation getting to me... but could you spray the board with the one stuff... haha can't remember the name :) I know some of you potters use it to keep your boards from shorting out... would that work in this case? or does that stuff not last long?

I had a thought last night.

firstly though, that idea of insulating the board sounds ok, so long as it doesn't trap the heat in.

back to my thought.

The biggest issue with tec/phase cooling and other extreme forms of cooling is condensation - now - if the rig is submerged in oil - does the risk of condensation go away? If so, phase cool or whatever the chips and use the oil not as coolent per se, but more of a barrier against condensation.

Would still look cool, but might be more feasable

TL;DR

Sorry if I missed something important after the first post. I'd be interested to see you try it, but your deep freeze will likely be overpowered by the PC. A deep freezer is designed to get things cold and then maintain it. It isn't designed to dissipate a constant heat source.

YMMV.

Is mineral oil different than mineral spirits? I think I'm confusing the two because I read this thread and thought, mineral what? he's going to ignite his entire case!

Back