• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme OC PC build "Need cooling routing advice"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patmetz

I have an extreme OC PC build I am wanting to vet out, I want to try to obtain a stable 24x7 5GHz 8 core 1150 intel machine and keep temps at ambient temps.
This will drive a 6x 27" monitor setup in 2x3 with 3 in SLI 1x extra and 2x using onboard graphics.

Gaming will be a focus, along with music and video production being a close second. I will also use this to run VMs on for my day job as a 24 year network architect.

The system is as follows
Coolermaster Stacker case with 915 add on unit, both small units are mounted on bottom and the bottom of the middle 915 has been cut out to allow the units to be a giant rad and pump box, with the PC case being on top.

Gigabyte Z87 OC Force MB
Intel i7 4970k Devils Canyon
32GB DDR-3 1600 Mhz Crucial ballistix RAM 4x8 GB
2x EVGA GTX 780 SC in SLI with XSPC Titan V2 water blocks
Sound blaster z sound card
1x Intel Pro100 PT Quad port Gigabit adapter with TCPIP offload for iSCSI
Tiered Storage
2x Samsung 240GB 840 EVO drives in RAID-0 C:\Drive System
2x Seagate SSHD in RAID 0 7200 RPM 8 GB SSD cache D:\Drive Application installs
4x 3TB Toshiba 7200k With 64 MB cache in RAID 1+0 E:\Drive :Mass storage
2x 4 TB RAID 1 f:\backups
Additional PCIex 1 SATA II Card for 2x 6x Blu-Ray burners f:\ and g:\

Cooling is where I need help in what to do with the loop, I have always used AIO solutions and now the time to break free of them is needed, I have made a substantial investment in cooling and have purchased the following for this build.
4x 360 mm Swiftech radiators they will be mounted in the 915 cases on each side 2x per 915 case.
12x Thermaltake Luna 12 LED fans, selected due to 1200 RPM 1.35 Mb pressure and 9 volt startup at 18 Db better stats than corsair,but not cost effective to buy Noctua NF-P12 for this many fans.

1x Swiftech D-5/ 655-b pump with Bitspower mod top

2x Silenx 120mm fans to provide positive pressure to the rad fans one going in and one going out 18 DB @ 92CFM

for the case of the PC I have the stock Cooler Master 140mm fan exhausting to the back and 2x 120mm TB silence fans going into the front with 34x Thermaltake luna 12s exhausting to the top. there will be a corsair RAM cooler providing air to the RAM as I don't see the need to watercool the RAM.

I have drawn up a visio diagram of the case and would like to have input from everyone as to how to most efficiently run this cooling loop.
I will be using all 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing with all barb bitspower barbs and nylon grip clamps to seal the fittings the onboard cooler worries me as it is 3/8" 9mm fittings but I don't want to buy a EK chipset block for this board.

So do I use the multiple outs and ins of the pump?
Do I use Y adapters to go to each component and if I do does the negative pressure and easier flow mean that I may not move water through the chipset if I run a y adapter at the feed to the video cards? Should I use 1 big loop or break it out?

I am sure this will provide plenty of fodder for discussion and I am open to ideas, the parts are already bought , so no returning them. I just want this thing to be a devastatingly fast quiet and cool PC. After this one, I am done building PCs for a while!!!

Please let me know what the best thing to do is with this cooling loop!!!!!:confused::comp::grouphug:
attachment.php

Attachments

• PC Visio.jpg
    PC Visio.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 149
I would keep the VRM's out of the loop personally... Its not going to buy you any performance. As far as how to plumb it... well... thats a tough one friend... :)

What I would do is get a better quality Power Supply. Coolmax is know for being garbage. I would be shocked if that unit could put out remotely close to its rated power. It would be a shame to have such a sweet setup and then a junk PSU take everything out. A quality 1KW PSU (Corsair/Seasonic) is what I would choose...ASAP.

Last, not sure 5Ghz will be in the cards. While you have the cooling capacity (may need to delid...depends), its going to be up to the silicon lottery if you can reach that with sane voltages (1.4v or under for 24/7).

the rad /pump plumbing is fairly easy, but i'ld have to sketch it as probably nobody will understand this:

Res > Rad1 > Rad 2 > Pump > Rad 3 > Rad 4 > GPU > CPU > Res

Not the best of performance flows, but the easiest to route.

You could just run 2 seperate loops. You seem to have all the parts.

Off topic, but depending on the number of vms and such you may want to consider a socket 2011 setup so you can have a hexcore CPU and plenty of ram slots and quad channel memory, as well as additional x 16 pcie lanes.

Off topic, but depending on the number of vms and such you may want to consider a socket 2011 setup so you can have a hexcore CPU and plenty of ram slots and quad channel memory, as well as additional x 16 pcie lanes.

I also have a HP Z800 with Dual Quad Xeon 5620 Procs 96GB DDR3 1600 ECC RAM as my main ESXi server and to get my core count up. On the 2011 note this will be my last graphics integrated build for the PCI lane reason.

The boards I have for this build both have PLX controllers to addresses this, I wanted to have 2x16 slots and 3 if I needed before the system went down to 8xPCIe.

Back