• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans and Motherboards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mico

I will be using a thermaltake smart case fan as a CPU fan. I was wondering whether or not to use the 3-pin setup and hook it to the motherboard for monitering, etc. or to use the adapter and plug it into the PSU. The fan will pull about 4.5 Watts on it's highest setting. I am using a Biostar Nvidia 2 M7NCDP motherboard. So in short:

-Should I use the fan on the Mobo or PSU?
-If it depends on the Mobo, where can I find the information? In the manual?

Thanks again for all your help :D

Let's see ... 4.5 W / 12VDC = 375 mA. That puts it on the high end of what I'd power from a motherboard. (So you should be fine using the mobo header.)

But if you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can always get a splitter cable that splits the RPM signal to the mobo header and powers the fan directly from the PSU.

-- Paul

Thanks guys! That's one thing I love about this forum. Post something, go get a snack, come back and you have several different opinions on the matter! Thanks again!!! :D

Back