• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FCPGA-Multiplier unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kevin_H

let me be the first person in the forum to say

HOW MUCH $ YOU WANT FOR THAT BAD BOY?

:):):) i know you cant get rid of them but it never hurts to ask :)

Like outhouse said, maybe he cannot get rid of them, but maybe I could rent one indefinitely...

:):):)

Read 2830 times... wow. Talk about a topic close to the hearts of Intel users.

I'd love to unlock my Katmai 450, but I still find it hard to believe. I mean, there must be maniacs out there that have been working night/day on chips. I simply cannot believe that it would just pop out like this.

Of course I want it too. :)

I think intel needs to get smart as far as overclocking is involved. I mentioned in another thread that there are basically 2 types of overclocker. 1 is the type who buys a 700mhz cpu because he can get it up to 1ghz and it costs less than a 1ghz cpu. The other is the sort who buys a 1ghz cpu and does lots of tweaking to get every last mhz out of it because they want the challnege.
Intel has stupidly positioned them selfs in the the first catorgory of overclocker where the most money is being lost as people are buying slower chips to get more performance. A good example is that most intel overclockers will go for either the 700mhz p3 or 600mhz celeron instead of the faster ones because they only have the bus speed to play with. Amd one the other hand thanks to the ease of unlocking has gotten their foot in the door of the 2nd type of overclocker. These don't just buy the 700mhz tbird because they can overclock it to 1ghz. They buy the 1ghz or 1.33ghz and overclock it as high as they can. The differance in price between amd chips pretty much eliminates the need for the forst type of overclocking with amd chips as you may as well just go the extra expense on the fastest chip, even then the fastest chip can be run even faster.
I have never heard of remarked amd processors, now either this is because there isn't the market, or because they do it so well you can't tell with amd or just because there isn't enough money to be made turning a 1ghz tbirds into a 1.33ghz one.

Miknow (Apr 21, 2001 10:42 a.m.):
Hmmm... I would try it if I could read german. But I have a pentium 500e laying around somewhere but if they had a english translation and was convinced I would take a shot at it

WILL SOMEBODY JUST DO THIS PLEASE!!!BUNCH A PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT AND NO ACTION!!!!!

Thast because it probabally just doesn't work. As soon as I get a spare coppermine I'll prove it. Any way I bet some people have tryed it and had broken cpu's and not been able to get back on to tell people it doesn't work :D

For those of you that down-trod Intel and their business decisions, go buy an AMD.

I have always, and will always run Intel. Should they succomb to the dark side and help overclockers? No. They are protecting their investment. If you look back in the past two years, there is another field that AMD has surpassed Intel......remarked CPU's!

Intel isn't saying "the hell with overclockers", they are protecting their investments and their yeilds. Do we OC'ers have to pay for that with chips that are locked? Yes.

But like I said, if you don't like it, go buy a Thunderbird.

Me, I prefer the challenge. With an AMD everything is handed to you.

Been a month+ since I ready this post -- WoW (now I know why)

Is that,.. really, THE Kevin_H???!!!

Whatever, I could login as a new member with any id and say I'm Bill F@%^ Gates, it doesn't mean I am.

Don't fall for any of this, we will probably never see an unlocked Intel chip. If it bothers you that much, as it has been said time and time again, buy AMD.

Kingslayer (Jun 20, 2001 09:05 a.m.):
But like I said, if you don't like it, go buy a Thunderbird.

Me, I prefer the challenge. With an AMD everything is handed to you.

I think I will :D

As for amd having everything handed to you and you prefering a challnege, whats the challnge in setting from 66 to 100mhz fsb or 100 to 133mhz fsb? With AMD heat is more critical so ingenuity pays off big time.

Where is the challenge in the Intels?

#1. Trying to figure out how to unlock it. It's possible, it can be done. And us Intel users can say that WE figured it out, it didn't get handed to us from AMD. And don't even try telling me that it didn't come from AMD......

#2. FSB? The challenge there is getting everything in your machine to run stable at FSB above 133Mhz. You AMD users can set your multiplier and keep your FSB's low. We can't...yet I still run a 165Mhz FSB.

#3. And don't give me that jabber about heat. With the heatsinks out today if you smoke a chip it's because you did something stupid. HSF's have come far and most top of the line HSF's will cool any CPU to a reasonable temp.

Theres no ingenuity in there either. You want to see ingenuity? Come look at my machine. When was the last time you saw a Network Card with a heatsink on it so it will run stable above a 41 Mhz PCI bus speed if necessary. Because we can't change multipliers, we have to up the FSB which in turn ups the PCI bus, we have to make our cards stable.

THATS INGENUITY.

Kingslayer (Jun 20, 2001 01:53 p.m.):
When was the last time you saw a Network Card with a heatsink on it so it will run stable above a 41 Mhz PCI bus speed if necessary. Because we can't change multipliers, we have to up the FSB which in turn ups the PCI bus, we have to make our cards stable.

THATS INGENUITY.

In upstate New York we call that Wintertime, when we have little else to do but start electrical fires...

I don't know that your argument holds water, since tweaking is to have your machine do things faster, not merely the fact of making it faster for no purpose. I overclock mine for better gaming performance and faster audio processing... there's little Ingenuity in necessity... now learning Cakewalk 9, Soundforge 4.5, and Acid 2.0 in 2 weeks to produce a 60 minute album from your living room with radio Shack mixer/microphone takes Ingenuity... using a hacksaw to cut up a heatsink and gluing it to a PC Card is... well, you get my point.

Kingslayer (Jun 20, 2001 01:53 p.m.):
Where is the challenge in the Intels?

#1. Trying to figure out how to unlock it. It's possible, it can be done. And us Intel users can say that WE figured it out, it didn't get handed to us from AMD. And don't even try telling me that it didn't come from AMD......

#2. FSB? The challenge there is getting everything in your machine to run stable at FSB above 133Mhz. You AMD users can set your multiplier and keep your FSB's low. We can't...yet I still run a 165Mhz FSB.

#3. And don't give me that jabber about heat. With the heatsinks out today if you smoke a chip it's because you did something stupid. HSF's have come far and most top of the line HSF's will cool any CPU to a reasonable temp.

Theres no ingenuity in there either. You want to see ingenuity? Come look at my machine. When was the last time you saw a Network Card with a heatsink on it so it will run stable above a 41 Mhz PCI bus speed if necessary. Because we can't change multipliers, we have to up the FSB which in turn ups the PCI bus, we have to make our cards stable.

THATS INGENUITY.

1. There is no practical way of doing it. This would be a big business for the remarker who would gladly waste a few hundred dollars at trying to found a way as there would be a lot of money in it for them.

2. That challenge is still there with amd, at least if you can't get a high fsb then you have the multiplyer to fall back on, there are no celeron 700 situations with amd chips, amd boards have problems running at high fsb's due to the ddr bus so usually you have to use better northbridge cooling and up the vio voltage as well to get it too work.

3. Intel cpu's are so easy to keep cool as they throw out so little heat. You can get a way with putting too much heat transfer compound on and bad case cooling, with amd's you have to get it right as every oC counts for mhz where as an intel chip is far more likely to reach the peek of the silicon than to be too warm.

'You want to see ingenuity? Come look at my machine. When was the last time you saw a Network Card with a heatsink on it so it will run stable above a 41 Mhz PCI bus speed if necessary.'

I have suggested this to a fair few users my self. The fsb is just as much an overclocking tool with amd chips but at least it doesn't hold you back. I've overclocked intel and am and the intel I overclocked was not a challenge and didn't have room for tweaking. I just upped the fsb until it became unstable, set the highest safe voltage, tryed upping the fsb some more but it wouldn't go, put some case fans and artic silver on and it went done. With Amd you can spend a while tweaking with the multiplyer and fsb and other memory options and get your setup just right.

I think in my situation my arguement hold alot of water. I use my NIC for more than just broadband access. My machine is used for transfering files, large files, to other machines on my network, and via FTP. I work alot with graphics and of course I game. So NIC stability at high PCI bus speeds is essential. I think it's essential for any overclocker. Take a NIC up to 40 Mhz, transfer a file, and set your finger on the chipset.......You'll be suprised.

I have two 800's at 990. That a multiplier of 6 with a FSB of 165. Thats pushing the PCI bus. Most cards can't take more than 40-41 Mhz. But if this was a...oh...lets say a 800 Duron, I could just throttle the multiplier up and lower the FSB and keep my PCI bus about 30-35 Mhz. Well in the safe range.

AMD'ers might have to tweak alittle more to reach their maximum stable speed, but us Intel'ers have to watch the system as a whole. Not just the CPU. This leads to ingenuity like NIC heatsinks, sound card heatsinks, and for those poor guys still running PCI video cards, vid card cooling is necessary.

But you sound like you don't think amd oc'ers use the fsb, they do as they can fine tune to a few mhz of what the chip is capable of.

pathetic off topic duel...
don't start another AMD vs Intel in this "intense" suspense thread.
I have an AMD but I'd be very glad if intel cpus could be unlocked.

I would love to try something like this. I have 3 PIIIs, 2 stuffed away in a box somewhere,

unfortunatly I can't see the pic, the website seems to be down. I really hate that, just when your dieing to have a look, the site is down

Yeah we have strayed off topic.

But then again the original topic is going no where. There's too many people that say "Would someone please do this mod and see if it works?" But they are too afraid to do it themselves.

Yep, I've tried it. It doesn't work. I've tried removing pins, Doesn't work. Tried shorting certain pins. No go. Tried shorting connections where the resistors/capacitors used to be. So far the only thing that I have accomplished is creating a really neat 800Mhz keychain.

And this topic won't go anywhere until someone else gets the nuts to try something new on thier chip. I've tanked one for the sake of science already. Who's next up to bat?

A few months ago I read an article about unlocking a PIII (It was written by a scientist or an Intel insider) but that was way over my head, all I could make up from what he was saying: IT CAN'T BE DONE BY YOU OR ME (unless you have the right equipment, but that would cost you lots of money I'm talking about 100.000's of dollars).
I've seen one good answer so far (it has to do with frequency), well at least that is what the scientist/Intel insider was saying.
All I know it CAN be done with a SLOT1 PII (They have done it in Germany), but I doubt it can be done with an FCPGA.
A little explanation would be appropriate: A EPROM can be programmed, A CPU (FCPGA) can be programmed as well (They have a built-in EPROM in which the multiplier is set (or something like that)) but there's no EPROM programmer YOU and ME can afford that has a 370 socket.
I hope this makes some sense.

BTW: Nice keychain you have Kingslayer ^_^ (Sorry it didn't work, but I've learned to do some research before trying and not jump into things PPL are saying just because they wanna see if it works).

Maybe i should have posted this a long time ago, but i've been searching for that article........no result yet.

KILLorBE (Jun 21, 2001 10:40 a.m.):
A few months ago I read an article about unlocking a PIII (It was written by a scientist or an Intel insider) but that was way over my head, all I could make up from what he was saying: IT CAN'T BE DONE BY YOU OR ME (unless you have the right equipment, but that would cost you lots of money I'm talking about 100.000's of dollars).
I've seen one good answer so far (it has to do with frequency), well at least that is what the scientist/Intel insider was saying.
All I know it CAN be done with a SLOT1 PII (They have done it in Germany), but I doubt it can be done with an FCPGA.
A little explanation would be appropriate: A EPROM can be programmed, A CPU (FCPGA) can be programmed as well (They have a built-in EPROM in which the multiplier is set (or something like that)) but there's no EPROM programmer YOU and ME can afford that has a 370 socket.
I hope this makes some sense.

BTW: Nice keychain you have Kingslayer ^_^ (Sorry it didn't work, but I've learned to do some research before trying and not jump into things PPL are saying just because they wanna see if it works).

Maybe i should have posted this a long time ago, but i've been searching for that article........no result yet.

It can't be done! It can't be done because the multiplier is set by burning connections into inside the chip. I believe this is done with a laser. So, once the connections are burnt there's no connecting them back.

As for the PII you saw that was unlocked that's easy to explain. First of all, early PIIs weren't even locked to begin with. I have an old PII-233 that isn't and many other people have PIIs that weren't it was later on that they started locking the multipliers. They did it because unscupulous vendors were remarking CPUs and selling them to unsuspecting customers as faster CPUs. Anyway, when they did start locking the multipliers was about the time the 100Mhz FSB deschutes core PIIs started coming out. At that time the multiplier was locked, not inside the chip, but on the little printed circuit
board that a slot1 chip is located on. This is why it was possible to unlock those. However, by the time the PIII (Katmai) came along they were locking the multipliers inside the chip itself by burning circuit in to. Once those connections are burnt in to there is no connecting them back together. So, once the multiplier is locked this way, it's forever locked for the life of that particular chip.

It's interesting that you bring up Eproms. Eproms are eraseable programmable read only memory. That is they can be progrmmed then later on erased and programmed again. However, there are also what is known as Proms. Proms are Progrmmmable read only memory. That is they can be programmed, but only once, and after that they cannot be erased or reprogrammed. The way they work is kinda like blowing fuses inside the chip and burning connections in to. If you've ever seen a blown fuse then I'm sure you can understand that they cannot by any electrical means be put back together. This is kinda like the way they lock the multipliers except that instead of using a current to blown the fuse they use a precise laser to burn it into. They use the same technique to disable the addition a cache in a celeron II.

Don't believe anyone who tries to tell you they can unlock a locked PIII! They're either lying, badly mistaken, or trying to perpetrate somekind of fraud. It's true there are chips called engineering samples that do not have the multiplier locked to begin with. These aren't really meant to be released to the general public and are for testing purposes only. That's why they are left unocked. These will be marked "Intel Confidential" and the people these are given to are not suppose to release them to the general public, but ocassionally a few get through. Anyway, don't ever send any money or your CPU to someone making such claims and promising to unlock your locked CPU. If you do you'll never see your money or CPU again!

Back