• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fed up with H2O?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was fed up with the hassle of watercooling for a while, then I tried a little bit different approach, I grabbed a 80mm radiator and a c-systems pump and routed 1/4"ID tubing throughout, the system is so small and easy to take care of, I have the 3/8ID pushfits and that makes everything very easy. I plan on grabbing a bix to go along with the case and make things a lot more compact.

Give it a break for a while, if your running a 1/2" system I can see how you can be easily fed up with it. 1/4" ID system seems really small, but if its done correctly the small performance loss if any is well worth it.

Jon

I am interested in this sealant you guys are putting on your fittings. If I put this and metal clamps on, could I be sure that I would have no leaks?

I thought about goin 1/4" not long ago J, but I think I've figured out a way to really clean up my 1/2" system. However, I did have to build a custom case to do it with. I'll post pics when i get around to finishing the thing. :D

someone asked about the sealent: I use SILICONE II it is an excellent all around sealent and works on all kind of surfaces. It's kind of like the superglue of sealents (note sealent is not the same thing as an adhesive).

Why do you use watercooling? Is it worth the maintainence/hassle? Has anyone switched from water to air, and did you like it or not?

1. I used H2O for the lower noise and potentially better OCs and temps.

2. It's worth it when it works right.

3. Yes I have, switched from my H2O setup to an SP97 because of an irrepairable pump leak, and maintain the same temps and noise (if not lower) than my old setup, keeping the same OC of 2.4GHz stable in any weather.

Bottom line, if I were to build a new rig, H2O is sure cool and all, but modern high performance heatsinks work extremely well too. The case is sure cleaner now too and easy to work inside.

My H20 system has been running 24/7 for over a year without any maintanance besides topping up my res once, it was down maybe a half inch after 6 or so months, since then, over another 6 months its gone down maybe 1/8 of an inch, perhaps the first time was just air bubbles working out of the system.

So on that note, I love my H20 system, for its quietness and good temps.

only thing i get annoyed with is getting bubbles out of my loop and working with stuff in my case (stupid tubes, i love you, but you're a little big)

The Mag 3 IS a good pump...I don't know why everyone bashes it. It's worked flawlessly for more than two years in my situation.

I finally did find my leak source though, and it wasn't quite what I thought. My (formerly flawless :p) Mag 3 has some leaking around the impeller housing. Now that I know what it is though all I have to do is put some silicone sealant around the edges, and it'll be fine.
I was fed up with the hassle of watercooling for a while, then I tried a little bit different approach, I grabbed a 80mm radiator and a c-systems pump and routed 1/4"ID tubing throughout, the system is so small and easy to take care of, I have the 3/8ID pushfits and that makes everything very easy. I plan on grabbing a bix to go along with the case and make things a lot more compact.

Give it a break for a while, if your running a 1/2" system I can see how you can be easily fed up with it. 1/4" ID system seems really small, but if its done correctly the small performance loss if any is well worth it.
That's a pretty smart idea. I can't give watercooling a break, really, because it's the only cooling I have available. I'm thinking of ditching my White Water for a Swifty 6002 though just to get rid of the dual outlet barbs. They really get in the way, and knocking those off would get rid of a lot of the hassles I have.

Back