• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally pulled the trigger... i7 6700k here I come!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know both of my 6700K chips struggle to run 4.8 stable, even at 1.45V.

Ran some tests with the 4.3Ghz @ 1.18V and compared at least to some results I had for the 4.7Ghz, I was anywhere from 5-8% slower in cpu benchmarks I ran. Only one of the video encoding ones at 4k ended up 10-11% slower. Though for a 9.3% reduction in clock it wasn't that large of a hit performance wise, I'll have to run some gaming benches I had to see if there is really any reduction. Temps where running great, at a whopping 56C maximum under stress test. So its looking like if I want another 100Mhz, I basically just give the CPU another .05V and let her go all the way up to 4.7Ghz. Might see if I can drop it a little lower voltage wise but I think I'm probably pretty close to the limit for stable voltage at 4.3Ghz. BTW my VID voltage is 1.179x (got a screen shot of it saved at home).

The overclocking performance benchmarks are interesting, Looking forward to seeing your gaming benchmarks.

kenrou has a decent chip.

"decent"... latest BIOS 2202 /w uncore 1:1

4.4ghz 1.2v Aida64 - Realbench
4.5ghz 1.24v Aida64 - Realbench
4.6ghz 1.29v Aida64 - Realbench
4.7ghz 1.34v Aida64 - 1.38v Realbench
4.8ghz 1.39v Aida64 - 1.42v Realbench

Before BIOS 1701 (or was it 1501) 4.8ghz was off-limits and every voltage was .05v above what is now, 4.7ghz and 4.8ghz lowered again by .02v in 1901. I know that Skylake is "sort of" new tech but didn't expect so much tweaking, My Hero VIII had something like 15 revisions :p

"decent"... latest BIOS 2202 /w uncore 1:1

4.4ghz 1.2v Aida64 - Realbench
4.5ghz 1.24v Aida64 - Realbench
4.6ghz 1.29v Aida64 - Realbench
4.7ghz 1.34v Aida64 - 1.38v Realbench
4.8ghz 1.39v Aida64 - 1.42v Realbench

Before BIOS 1701 (or was it 1501) 4.8ghz was off-limits and every voltage was .05v above what is now, 4.7ghz and 4.8ghz lowered again by .02v in 1901. I know that Skylake is "sort of" new tech but didn't expect so much tweaking, My Hero VIII had something like 15 revisions :p
For me.
4.5GHz 1.24v Realbench
4.5GHz 1.28v Prime95

Last edited:
This has me curious as to how my chip compares, Ill have to load it up and see. Luckily I'm testing RealBench right now anyways so it should be pretty straightforward to test.

According to them, Deatman has one tha'll do it on air, kenrou has a decent chip. I can't attest for normal cooling but mine did 5.2 @1.42v on cold water XTU bench.
Maybe I'm off but I honestly think that's slightly above average not just top 20.
Show me one at 4.8 with 1.25v or less and maybe I'd shell out the premium.
it's not top 20, it's top 20%. It's ambient cooling, not sub zero Canadian air across a rad either. Benching stable, even for xtu, and Realbench for an hour stable are also dramatically different things as you know. :)

Like any business, they are in it to make a profit. Some have the time and want to make the effort for that kind of chip, some dont. :)

If you lower the CPU core voltage will that cause damage or degradation of the CPU, Also want to know if lowering the core voltage will increase the AMPs? And the answer is yes from Intel. https://communities.intel.com/message/425662#425662
?

Last edited:
If you lower the CPU core voltage will that cause damage or degradation of the CPU, Also want to know if lowering the core voltage will increase the AMPs? And the answer is yes from Intel. https://communities.intel.com/message/425662#425662

Huh.....

I find that statement funny due to the fact that the processor automatically has different states that lower the voltage and clocks as well. I've never heard an issue with lowering the voltage before as long as its stable. And I thought the AMPs to the CPU was steady, only thing that changes is the voltage.

Not sure they understood what he was getting at (or why this was double posted in an unrelated thread.. :p) honestly. This is a good place for Dolk to chime in.... :)

I posted it here because deathman wanted to see how low he could run the Vcore. There is a finite balance when setting the voltage according to clock speed. Increase the voltage there is less AMPs at the same clock speed. Decrease voltage increase the AMPs at the same clock speed, also half to factor in resistance. Basic electronics ohm's law.
Ohm's_law_triangle1.jpg

1.2v is supposed to be stock for 6700k, is there any merit in going below that ?

god now i feel crappy about how bad my chip is.

4.5 stable at 1.312
4.6 stable at 1.344

couldn't get stable above that

Sounds like the average 6700K to me, mine aren't much better than that.
The one I'm running in my daily machine is at 4.5GHz 1.3V.
I can run 4.7 or 4.8 on the one in the bench, but it's not 24/7 stable.

To lower temps.

Stock voltage can be lower or higher than that. Every chip is different.

Well yes but stock is stock, even on a crap cooler stock shouldn't run higher then ~70c/~75c. Mine peaks at ~60c with fans on silent. I would understand if you got a crapper with 1.4v but would also expect you to return it and get a new one. How low does your OCD need to go if 90c is the ceiling ?

Potentially questionable morals/ethics aside on returning a 'poor' chip, I simply wanted to put it out there that every cpu has a different stock voltage. That's all. :)

I don't imagine there are any cpus that obnoxious in the wild, remember, they do still have to fit within TDP on all loads. :)

As I sit and peck this out on my phone, I feel like I am adding details for little reason though, lol!

I posted it here because deathman wanted to see how low he could run the Vcore. There is a finite balance when setting the voltage according to clock speed. Increase the voltage there is less AMPs at the same clock speed. Decrease voltage increase the AMPs at the same clock speed, also half to factor in resistance. Basic electronics ohm's law.
View attachment 183945

But couldn't it also be played like this: Watts / Volts = Amps?
This is rough numbers from what I remember last night playing with it:
4.3Ghz - 1.18V / 75Watts = 63.6 Amps
4.3Ghz - 1.25V / 88Watts = 70.4 Amps
4.4Ghz - 1.21V / 85Watts = 70.2 Amps
4.7Ghz - 1.35V / 107Watts = 79.3 Amps

I'm not saying the resistance is zero, actually don't know what type of resistance is in the processor but we can at least figure out how many apps are being used via the CPU. At least according to this and typically, if you increase the voltage on a CPU, you'll get higher heat output (watts) even if you run it at the same speed.

1.2v is supposed to be stock for 6700k, is there any merit in going below that ?

That is the true "stock" voltage of a 6700k or what its supposed to be at? I know there are swings in it but always nice to see I can get higher speeds just under or just above stock.
Brings me back to my old I7 920 running it at or below my stock voltage at a higher clock. Really the only merit of staying at or going lower is you got a really nice chip that has overhead. Now it might not mean you can OC it really fast but it at least means it has the potential to be cooler than others. At least thats what I've experianced in past chips that can OC decently at or under "stock" voltage.

Last edited:
That is the true "stock" voltage of a 6700k or what its supposed to be at? I know there are swings in it but always nice to see I can get higher speeds just under or just above stock.
Brings me back to my old I7 920 running it at or below my stock voltage at a higher clock. Really the only merit of staying at or going lower is you got a really nice chip that has overhead. Now it might not mean you can OC it really fast but it at least means it has the potential to be cooler than others. At least thats what I've experianced in past chips that can OC decently at or under "stock" voltage.

Haven't found any Intel docs regarding this but since most 6700k i read about (good and bad) do 4.4ghz/4.5ghz at 1.3v one can extrapolate that it's where it's supposed to be at. DT also says this in it's review : "At its stock settings the Core i7-6700K has a base clock of 4GHz, with a rather meager maximum Turbo Boost of 4.2GHz. Its stock voltage is 1.2." - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

Each CPU has a different stock voltage. :)

1.2V is not the stock voltage for all 6700K's. They will each vary.

Back