• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox Annoyance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErikD

I just decided to download Firefox and give it a try. I am liking it for the most part, but have one minor annoyance with it. When using IE to browse forums if I click on a post, and then go back it remembers where I was on the page. In other words if the post was at the bototom of the forum when I click back I am returned to the bottom of the page. Firefox doesn't do this, it just takes me back to the top of the page everytime. Is there some setting or something that I can change to return to where I was previously? Thanks for your help.

Xenocide, I am amazed that you switched back over that, but meh.

Erik,
Do you mean on a search page or one of the sub-catagories; you click on a thread (post) and then arn't intrested so you click back and it's at the top again?
If so what I do is hold Ctrl when I click. It opens the thread in a new tab and then when I am done with the thread I just Ctrl-W (close the tab) and it goes right back to the search or sub-catagory on the tab before. Works out well for me:D
And,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
(If you havn't been welcomed already.)

Yeah, the problem is when clicking a thread and then going back to the top of the sub-catagories page. Weird thing is it only seems to be a problem on some forums, not all. I would really prefer to not need to Ctrl-Click or Ctrl-W while browsing. Hopefully some other options exist.

This is the same reason I don't use firefox.....I've tried it and I really like it, all except for that one problem. AFAIK, there is no setting to fix it......At least there wasn't in the last version (FireBird...it was in the FAQ on their website). Presently, I am using NetCaptor as my browser. I believe it's just somebody's "reworked" version of IE with tabs. I'll try the next version of Firefox and see how the "issue" get's handled.

I am amazed that you guys switched back to IE over such a small thing... I just don't get it.
Anyways, you might wanna try MyIE 2, it has tabs and some other features but works off of the IE6 core so it should work the same.

For some people, having the browser remember where you were isn't such a small thing. I've been using Firebird/Firefox for a few months now, and am even considering going to Opera or something because of this problem. :-/ I really love Firefox, but it's just annoying to have to find where you left off on 50% of pages on the net.

I don't think there is a setting to fix this though. It's either a bug with Firefox itself, or with the HTML not being up to W3C standards (making Firefox kinda choke on the site). Back when the forum was running on VB2, Firefox would remember, but now it dosen't with VB3. Don't know why it happens...

JigPu

Other than the issue of remembering where I was I am loving Firefox. It is real weird that it does this only on some websites though. Other forums I frequent that also use VB3 don't have this problem. Really weird. I wouldn't stop using it over this issue though. I have just strated to open posts in new tabs using the scroll wheel button. This is working out reasonably for me, although sometimes I do forget. Hopefully whatever it is will be worked out.

CrashOveride said:
I am amazed that you guys switched back to IE over such a small thing... I just don't get it.
Anyways, you might wanna try MyIE 2, it has tabs and some other features but works off of the IE6 core so it should work the same.

It really depends on what type of "browser" you are. If you spend alot of time on ebay and click an item 3/4ths of the way down a page and then hit the back button on your browser, it puts you back at the top of the page. Now imagine you've done a search for some extra memory and you wanna look thru 150 items......get's kinda bothersome after a while.

Like I say though.....other than that one single annoyance, it's a spectacular browser.

Right but I always open stuff in a new window so that I don't have to click back all the time anyways. Works out way better for me. I guess it is the type of "browser" you are then:p

Oh well.

Just press your mouse wheel on the thread link and it will open it in a new tab. When your done reading the thread then just close the tab. This takes the same amount of work as it does in ie.

Opera 7.51 ROCKS!!!

I also tried Foxfire and my sig wasn't colored anymore. What happened to Firebird?

I've been using MyIE2 for quite awhile now because of it's extra features and Opera was sucking.

Well I've been back since the newest Opera came out and loving it. I've had a paid 7.xx registered version for quite awhile but now I'm getting my money's worth.

Even the free ad supported version ain't too bad if you select the google ad version.

Audioaficionado said:
I also tried Foxfire and my sig wasn't colored anymore. What happened to Firebird?
Firebird was aparently already trademarked, so they changed it's name. Again. :D

As to why your sig isn't colored, it looks to be because you didn't follow HTML spec when writing the colors ;) The snippet of HTML below is from the page source, and is bad. Your font color should be #FF3939. That pound symbol is required for correct color, though IE is lax about that rule. Apparently VB3 isn't smart enough to automatically change non-pounded hex colors to pounded ones :rolleyes:

<font color="FF3939">Iwill DH800, TWINX512-3200LLPT 2-3-2-6, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.55v/667/3000 > 4xF@H 24/7</font>

JigPu

JigPu said:
As to why your sig isn't colored, it looks to be because you didn't follow HTML spec when writing the colors ;) The snippet of HTML below is from the page source, and is bad. Your font color should be #FF3939. That pound symbol is required for correct color, though IE is lax about that rule. Apparently VB3 isn't smart enough to automatically change non-pounded hex colors to pounded ones :rolleyes:

JigPu

Ya! So change your sig and change back to the kickass Firebird:p:D

Yeah, I had the same problem actually. Firefox is stricter in it's development. IE will let things like a missing # sign for colours slip, while Firefox won't.

So I just gotta put in a # in front of all my hex color codes?

hex red

Edit: It works in fire fox now but I still like Opera better at this time.

Funny it all worked with Phoenix/Firebird & vB2.xx before.

Last edited:
Dubbin1 said:
Just press your mouse wheel on the thread link and it will open it in a new tab. When your done reading the thread then just close the tab. This takes the same amount of work as it does in ie.

Another easy way is to just right-click then open in new Tab. I've done this so many times its natural for me.

Back