• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox Annoyance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have gotten used to clicking with the mouse wheel, instead of the button. Tabbed browsing is really great, I am loving it so much over IE I don't know how I sttod it for so long before. I tried downloading the 0.9RC hoping it would fix the problem, but it was just to buggy for me. Now I am back with 0.8 and don't really have any problems browsing and opening every post in a new tab. In fact it makes it easier in some cases.

SOmething else that I noticed that is a bit strange to me is that I was constantly getting java runtime errors on certain sites in IE, but never get them in Firefox. Using Sun Java on both browsers, so I can't really think of any explanation for it.

Firefox and IE are very different in the ways that they display certain things. The code in Firefox is much tighter than in IE, and that migh be causing your problem there.

i love how fast firefox loads pages, but what ultimately made me switch back to ie was that firefox doesn't read CSS code, which i use on all my webpages... :eh?:

Wow.. I thought i was the only one that had this back button annyonace.. I hate Firefox for that reason (but am still using it almost exclusively).

Firefox just feels like it is MUCH better quality than IE. Quicker Load times, Tabs (still getting into all the functionality of these). Its all the little things.

FreakinSyco

I'm now using Firefox 0.9 and so far I like it enough to make it my default. Opera was better in some ways but it still has probems with some of the sites I go to. No browser is perfect but Firefox is the closest IMHO. The download engine sux as it will only do 2 active files at once but I can always use Freshdownload to get around that.

I also use the mouse wheel button to browse. It's so easy and it saves time. I often use shift + mousewheel button, which loads the link in a new tab but keeps it in the background.

For example, I use the search feature here often to solve a problem I'm having. I simply search, then scroll down the list, shift+mouse wheel clicking every thread that looks promising, then go through each tab I opened. this is always much quicker than having to use the back button a million times in untabbed browsing -- also, this method would solve the "problem" you're all having :)

I like Firefox 0.9 better than 0.8. It's not anything really big, just the inclusion of a lot of little stuff (like uninstalling plugins) that makes it more convienient to use. It and IE are about as good as each other right in my book... If you forget all the security issues of IE :D

But since this thread is on annoyances, here's another one that really irks me.
When you go back or foward on a website (or even just switch tabs), the cursor is automatically positioned up in the address bar. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, but when you're using Find As You Type on a few pages you have to go back and forth between (like when I'm searching through a page for a link to my current song's lyrics), it gets REALLY annoying to click back in the page every time.

JigPu

To my understanding, firefox is in a sort of preview stage, hence the zero prefix in the version numbers. Do you think Mozilla would listen to our suggestions and try to implement such changes for 1.0?

Yeah, it's still in beta technically since it hasn't hit the almightly 1.0. It's always possible to make feature requests, and inless you removed the link, a bookmark should be under Bookmarks->Bookmarks Toolbar Folder->User Support Forum that may be a good place to put suggestions.

JigPu

I love firefox to death, but I find that it is a bit unstable. It crashes for me, and MS has gotten about 50 error reports as a result :). Funny, because I can play every game with no probem and can run Prime forever, but firefox ocassionally still crashes.

I guess the next thing we will be hearing is 'yeah, you may be prime stable, but to be a leet OC its gotta be firefox stable, n00b.'

It never crashes for me. The only thing I don't like (it's actually a problem not just a preferance sort of thing) is when I open up a lot (I think it usually happens when I open lots of threads with lots of large pictures... not exactly sure why though... don't care THAT much) of pages it stoppes displaying refreshed and new pages (I have to highlight text to make it work and do weird stuff to make pictures work). It's actually a really bad bug but it doesn't happen often and I havn't been able to easily pin down the cause of the problem so I can deal.

(I havn't used .9 yet though)

JezterVA said:
It really depends on what type of "browser" you are. If you spend alot of time on ebay and click an item 3/4ths of the way down a page and then hit the back button on your browser, it puts you back at the top of the page. Now imagine you've done a search for some extra memory and you wanna look thru 150 items......get's kinda bothersome after a while.

Like I say though.....other than that one single annoyance, it's a spectacular browser.

by accident i found this ~~~ if doing a search on ebay and it returns to the top of the page, hit the search button of your search at the top of the items and it will take you to where you left off

Back