• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first fx 8120 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

hy guys, I,m new here and I have my first amd and its a 8120.
I got it on a asus sabertooth 990fx mobo.
I,m running at a stable 4.3 but I really dident change much.
do you mayby have some tips.
and is all of this oke????

and the other question is, if I put a second r9 270x toxic in will the cpu be a bottleneck

2vl1rms.png.jpg

hope people can read it, but cpu-z says under load, 1.380vcore
highest temp according core temp 57 degrees

the rest of my pc, is
corsair cx 750m psu
8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
sapphire r9 270x toxic.

thx for any tips, I want to see if I can get it at 4.5

Last edited:
Lots of tips!!! I won't click the link, some will.....

Try using the little paper clip at the top of the post box or manage attachments at the bottom under the post box.

A few screen shots of cpu-z all tabs open and core temps or HWMonitor and put Prime95 on a run so we can view your load temps!

Can't push more until we get all the infos!

oke now I got the temps a little lower, I have it in push-pull now, o and I forgot t o tell, I,m on a aircooler the scythe mugen 3 hardware edition with 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze DFS123812H-3000 fans

To answer the GPU question it's not going to bottleneck the CPU. You're already at the low 50's with the CPU temps so there's a bit of headroom for more speedbut not much.

hy guys, I,m new here and I have my first amd and its a 8120.
I got it on a asus sabertooth 990fx mobo.
I,m running at a stable 4.3 but I really dident change much.
do you mayby have some tips.
and is all of this oke????

and the other question is, if I put a second r9 270x toxic in will the cpu be a bottleneck

2vl1rms.png.jpg

hope people can read it, but cpu-z says under load, 1.380vcore
highest temp according core temp 57 degrees

the rest of my pc, is
corsair cx 750m psu
8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
sapphire r9 270x toxic.

thx for any tips, I want to see if I can get it at 4.5
What do you consider stable? We usually let prime blend run 2 hours before we consider a rig stable. Could you also re run prime for a full 20 minutes and post back your temps in HWmonitor. It's usually more indicative of what your temps are under load.

I now its stable because I run linx avx for 4 hours.
the temps now stay 54 degrees with the 2 fans in push-pull
so things I want to now are, what is for most 8120 the vcore for 4.5, what temp is oke for this cpu under stress.
don't whant to do much of overclock, are there more things I should set except the multie

No one can tell you what Cpu voltage you need for 4.5 Mhz, every system is different, so they will overclock differently at different voltage.
Temperatures, 70c on the Cpu 62c on the package.
Most of us will use the FSB to tune our final overclocks, as well as the Ht Link speed, Nb Frequency and Ram speed.

I know that different cpu,s need different vcore, just whant to now what wil be a good point to start from.
I have totally no idea using ht nb/fsb settings, come from intel so amd is new for me,

Start from where your at, raise the multiplier and test, if it fails raise the voltage, stay under the specified temps.

update running prime with avx at 4.4 vcore of 1.428 under load.
temps according hw monitor cpu highest 61 degrees and 55 for the package

oke last update.

in bios a put cpu busspeed manual at 2000
ht at 2200
cpu multie at 44
vcore at 1.3875 and llc auto
cie and cstates and stuff like that is off.
vcore under load goes from 1.420 to 1.440
when its idle it is 1.392

2rxz8gi.png.jpg

If I were you I would set the CPU LLC manually. Judging by the voltage swing I think it's still on auto. You'll find it in the Digi VRM section under the AI Tweaker tab. I would set it to high but you'll need to raise the V_Core to compensate. Right now you're voltage goes from 1.39 to 1.44 which is a fairly large swing. With the LLC on High or Ultra high you'll need to raise the V_Core up to about 1.42 and LLC will add a bit to that for the 1.44

If I were you I would set the CPU LLC manually. Judging by the voltage swing I think it's still on auto. You'll find it in the Digi VRM section under the AI Tweaker tab. I would set it to high but you'll need to raise the V_Core to compensate. Right now you're voltage goes from 1.39 to 1.44 which is a fairly large swing. With the LLC on High or Ultra high you'll need to raise the V_Core up to about 1.42 and LLC will add a bit to that for the 1.44

oke will do that, but is that high vcore no problem to run it 24/7.
I come from intel and never used that high vcore, for intel of course, just when I was benching

With proper cooling AMD says up to 1.5v is fine. Ya there's a big difference in the CPUs as I'm sure you've noticed. It may take you a couple of attempts to get the right V_Core/LLC setting to keep you stable.

oke johan45 this is what i did.
cpu ratio 22
turbo disabled
cpu/nb freq auto
ht auto
cpu llc at high
power phase standard
vcore in bios set to 1.425

this wil give in windows 1.404/1.416

Your temps look good and the voltages aren't overshooting by too much, looks good.

Back