• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First pc build for graphic design and gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree that you will likely get cheaper prices waiting and saving, but that's not always easy to do. Some things you can buy now that won't fluctuate in price much or be obsolete in a few months:
PSU, Case, any kind of cable mods, uv strips, RGB fans, and cooling system. Most good AIO coolers will be covered for current and new CPU brackets even if you have to request a bracket later.

Ram is iffy. Its definitely high right now but not sure its really going to be much cheaper in a few months.
Storage drives, any cheap 7200 rpm drive is not gonna go much cheaper.
SSD, just have to catch it on sale. Caught a 960 Evo 500GB for $185.

CPU, MB, GPU should definitely be last.

Don't forget warranty as well, things that only have a year will be half over before you even start putting the system together.
If the system won't be complete for at least six months, I'd still look at the pricing trends on sites like PC Parts Picker and try and grab stuff at the lows. Cases and PSU's might not fluctuate much, but $10 saved during a sale is $10 saved. Their pricing trend graphs are nice for just this.

The ram prices, as well as GPU prices, seem to still be on the rise due to shortages. Hard to tell what it will look like in 6 months, could be higher could be lower. Always going to be a bit of a gamble.

Moral of all this, don't buy stuff like CPU/MOBO/RAM until the end unless you get a killer deal on it.

I would like to run a virtual machine on it as well. I was looking at the intel and amd 8 core cpu's, any suggestions?

I would go Intel 8700K Coffee Lake.

6 cores only, but the higher IPC and frequency will make it perform better than others 8 cores Ryzen. And the top notch single thread performance is a plus in all matters.

I would go Intel 8700K Coffee Lake.

6 cores only, but the higher IPC and frequency will make it perform better than others 8 cores Ryzen. And the top notch single thread performance is a plus in all matters.
What kind of motherboard would you match it with?

Any Z370 motherboard will do, just look for the features you want. I have had good luck with Gigabyte.

The AMD CPUs seem cheaper than intel, are they as fast? I read on some forums that they do not compare to intel

Has anybody tried a dual xeon build? It looksblike a much cheaper way to build a fast computer for a first timer.

Back