• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First True Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tharnisch

I have decided to embark on building my first real from scratch build. I have custom ordered computers before from custom build sites, and upgraded parts, done a lot of computer work, but never put one together from scratch, which doesn't worry me, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. I have a desktop that is pretty much just used as a server storage on my network now as both I, my wife and kids all have laptops. My problem is I am pumped for the new Simcity game coming out in March '13(already preordered) although its not a real needy game, my laptop won't handle it. So I want to build a pretty beefy rig with a swing out monitor by my spot at the end of the couch.
It will be used mainly for:
  • Sim City
  • other mid/mid-high graphics games
  • web surfing
  • downloading
  • HD movie output to 1080p flatscreen in family room
  • Multi-tasking(I am notorious for 10+ Firefox tabs open, torrents downloading, pandora streaming, photoshop work, and documents open at once)
  • remote connection( I connect to my work computers a lot)
  • Photoshop photo editing
  • Pinacle studio video editing

And Here is my planned build
  • MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FX UD3
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0 ghz
  • CASE: Raidmax Blackstorm ATX-615ww
  • PSU: Raidmax RX-700AC 700w modular
  • VIDEO: Undecided yet($100-$200 card?)
  • SSD 2 X Samsung 840 Pro series 256GB RAID-0
  • RAM: GSkill Trident 1866 CAS8 2 X 8GB =16GB
  • FANS: upgrade case fans to COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation
  • CPU Cooling: Toying with whether I need to upgrade from stock to a good air cooled or even try Water Cooled
  • OTHERS: I will have a DVD-RW drive for sure, may eventually put in a BLURAY burner, will definitely have a mediacard reader panel on the front for pictures off camera cards. I will have slots available to add another 2 X 8GB ram for 32GB total, but I dont see that as being needed
  • LAN Planning on just putting in a pretty decent wireless PCI card to avoid running a CAT cable in my family room.

I went with the SSDs for their high read/write and higher then normal IOPS. I guess I see two of these RAID-0 together to make boot time very quick and program and document opening almost instant, which is what I want. i am impatient. This however is one of my big expenses in this build as two of these drives will run a little over $500. Someone more experienced then me with these might be able to tell me if I am wasting money on numbers that wont even show in the real world and I could save myself a couple hundred on drives that don't boast such high IOPS?
Also went a little higher dollar on the RAM with the low 8 CAS and the 1866 as the MOBO can take 1866 oc to 2000 even which I might try to do if it warrents it. I again look at RAM as being pretty important but am looking for some insight as if this is wise spend for the high mhz and the low CAS and shooting for 16GB starting leaving room to double that in the future if anything warrents it? Will I see the benefits or would dropping to 1600 or a CAS 9/10 for cheaper money do the same thing?
Some of the things like water cooling and possible OC'ing I am leaving to future upgrades, I am looking to order the rest of my parts in about a month. I already have the case and PSU as I got them for almost nothing with rebates off newegg the day after Thanksgiving.
Just looking for some insights as to how this system will pan out, maybe where I am wasting money, where I should spend differently. I want a speedy computer that can handle some gaming, some multitasking and HD Video and general use with ease, allow for some upgrades over the future timespan and get me several years of top use.
Thanks Everyone, I appreciate the advise and insight as I embark on this build.

Last edited:
RAM speed and timings have no real world performance impact.

RAID 0ing SSDs is something I typically advise against, it increases sequential transfer speeds (good for transferring big files), but doesn't reduce the boot time as much as you want as the RAID controller has to initialize. I'd just go for a single SSD in the capacity you want.

Return the PSU and the case. RAIDMAX isn't known for making anything other than complete junk. And having a high quality PSU is EXTREMELY important. Because when a bad PSU blows, it has the potential to kill other parts along with itself.

How intensive is the photoshop work you do?

I do some photoshoots on the side. I went to college for photography, so I just do some photo edits from RAW files and then convert to jpg when im done. so nothing real intense

That scares me with the Raidmax, I should have known with such an awesome deal, I was getting less then par product. I do like the case and its features, but the PSU definitely worries me, so i will start looking into something else. I have debated getting something closer to 1000w anyway for future upgrades, never know how much power I will wan to pull out of it

You can run any modern CPU and two GPUs on a 750W, and stuff is getting more power efficient over time.

Thing is I wouldn't expect that Raidmax PSU to actually output 700W without going out of spec on power quality or just plain shutting down.

What's your budget?

Do you think you'll stick to a single video card or ever go dual cards?

I will probably run a single GPU, maybe expand to 2 in the future just if need arises.
As far as budget, I don't have anything set in stone. I was trying to keep under $1,000-$1,200 on top of the case and PSU I had already bought but again my big expense there was SSD, but even if I stayed away from the RAID on 2 of them, I would probably spend the $500 on a single 500+GB SSD with decent speeds.

Looking at pictures of the case too...it's missing a lot of the features and has a rather meager amount of fan slots.

What would be your budget if you returned both?

Are you planning on having an HDD too or all your storage would be the single 512GB SSD?

EDIT: I got bored. :p

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.05.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.06.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 3.06.14 PM.png

Last edited:
I will probably run a single GPU, maybe expand to 2 in the future just if need arises.
As far as budget, I don't have anything set in stone. I was trying to keep under $1,000-$1,200 on top of the case and PSU I had already bought but again my big expense there was SSD, but even if I stayed away from the RAID on 2 of them, I would probably spend the $500 on a single 500+GB SSD with decent speeds.

here ya go. Add a few fans and a wireless card. you'll be set.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($146.41 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.99 @ Computer Valley)
Case: Cooler Master SGC-2100-KWN1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ NCIX)
GPU: Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 PCS+ MYST.(TAHITI LE) ($249.64 @ Newegg Canada)
Other: BitFenix Recon Fan Controller ($48.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1225.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-29 18:17 EST-0500)

haha... funny how we ended up so close knufire. should have looked at your build first prior to giving the op another option. Though i'd suggest that GPU from my build over that 660... just fell in love with the concept of that tahiti 7870.

Last edited:
Pinacle Studio seems to only be CUDA accelerated, not OpenCL, so that's why I went with the 660 over the 7870. 7870's gonna perform better in games though, but looks like all he's really playing is Sims.

Pinacle Studio seems to only be CUDA accelerated, not OpenCL, so that's why I went with the 660 over the 7870. 7870's gonna perform better in games though, but looks like all he's really playing is Sims.

I didn't know that. huh... interesting. I wonder what type of performance difference there will be.

It does seem like a lot of computer for Sims though... maybe i should have scaled it back a bit with a fx 6300, or an a10... oh well.

I figured this was more built around the photo editing than the Sims anyway, lol.

The A10, I wouldn't. Stepping down to the 6300 might not be a bad idea though.

The new SimCity coming out in March actually :) but i want to build it to handle beyond my current scope so whatever i do with it, it will reasonably last me a few solid years as a great computer

The new SimCity coming out in March actually :) but i want to build it to handle beyond my current scope so whatever i do with it, it will reasonably last me a few solid years as a great computer

well, both builds we put together will overclock well, and multi-task like no other.

I stuck a better GPU in mine, but knufire stuck a GPU tailormade for your photo editing.

I'm not sure how you could go wrong with either. Both systems will play modern high end games on high settings high resolutions and big monitors. Both will remain relevant for a long time baring some massive breakthrough in screen or vr tech. Both will crossfire/sli well, so you can keep your machine relevant longer by adding additional video cards down the road. If you'd like i can see about scaling it back a bit and getting you some outstanding peripherals to go with it (like a monitor or three). Up to you

He said he preferred a 512GB SSD and that was going to be his only storage, and he also needed a card reader and a wireless card. :p

He said he preferred a 512GB SSD and that was going to be his only storage, and he also needed a card reader and a wireless card. :p

ah... hah... yeah... i'll redo it a bit. need to read closer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($27.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($449.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master SGC-2100-KWN1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ($89.25 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ NCIX)
Card Reader: nMEDIAPC ZE-C218 Black Panel 3.5" All-in-one USB Card Reader ($25.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1240.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-30 00:24 EST-0500)

Tinkered with the previous build to fit your needs a bit better. This should still work perfect for you. Same basic price, kickass video card (had to one up knufire somewhere to justify the step back on the cpu)

Last edited:
Back