• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC build -- Are these temps good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stumpedify

Hello Overclockers community, my first post here as a new member and one who's just put together his first WC build.

I wanted to give a bit more life to my aging I7 950 -- holding out for Skylake -- so I decided to replace the stock cooler with the XSPC D5 Photon AX360 bundled kit with the raystorm cpu block.

I've moved it into a new case as well, the NZXT H440 and while I'm concentrating on the cpu first, I intend to replace my 7970 vapour-x with a graphics card that is able to be fitted with a full cover block and add it to the loop.

Here's a pic of what I have done so far:

W9RLVUg.jpg.png

I've got the 360mm radiator down the front of the case because it couldn't fit at the top.

Now here's where I need some help. I've been testing temps at stock settings before looking into overclocking it and I'm not sure if they are good or not.

D5 Pump power setting set to 3 out of 5.

Ambient temp: 19c~
Idle CPU core temps: 28-34c
100% load core temps (tested in Prime95): 47-51c

GPU idle: 29c

I've still got turbo mode on, which makes the first core go at a higher multiplier, which I'm guessing is why its idle temp is around 34 while the others get as low as 28, but I'm wondering whether I may have screwed up the thermal paste. Should there be such a variance in the core temps?

I'm using the XSPC 1650rpm fans that came with the kit in push doubling as the front intakes for the case. While under full load in Prime95 I used to exceed 80c with the stock intel cooler, but I can't help but feel I should be seeing better results. I know the design of the case hinders the air flow a little but are these temps good?

I wanted to try keep the sound as quiet as possible so I didn't set the pump to max speed. Should I set it to 5? As it is, I'm not happy with the noise the XSPC fans are making, going to invest in some good Noctua fans to replace them.

Last edited:
6C variance between cores is not unheard of. With a load does it get closer together?

Leave the pump at 3. Anything at 1.5GPM is fine.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It stays about the same under load 5-6c between the first core and the lowest one.

You can try a remount, but I highly doubt it will do anything. Look at the paste and spread pattern if you do to see adequate coverage.

Welcome to OCFs!

Your temps aren't bad at all. Just remember the consequences and maintenance needed when using colored fluid. I also hope you did a complete clean down on all the water cooling parts prior to installation.

What paste are you using? MX-4 is one of my favs and might knock a degree or two tops. Pea size in the middle and when tightening the block down, you will go in a "cross" like pattern. Half a twist each time etc.

I would replace those fans with either Noiseblockers eLoop B12s or if on a budget the Helix120s. If you're set on Noctuas than those are a good choice as well. What is your airflow set for that case? Front Intake and Top exhaust? I would use all the filtered locations as intakes and use the non-filtered as locations as exhaust.

Pump speed is good as its been said already. As long as you're in the 1.0-1.5 GPM threshold you are fine.

hi, thanks. I think I'm just overthinking the core temps a little.

That's good to hear the temps are fine, I guess I just didn't quite know what I was expecting but when I think about it, with the stock intel cooler, my cpu would hit 85c in Prime95. So it is definitely a considerable drop. It just worried me because I read of people getting in the 60s temps while overclocked so assumed they must have started at a lower temp than what I'm getting.

I flushed through distilled water before adding the coolant -- It's Mayhem Ice White, liked the look of the mayhem stuff -- So should hopefully be fine.

I used the bundled XSPC K-2 paste, using the method you suggested.

I've got the 3 case fans that were normally at the front now repositioned at the top to exhaust and there is 1 140mm fan at the back exhausting as well. The only filtered intake is 3 fans at the front pushing cool air through the radiator and into the case. Originally wanted to put the radiator at the top, but the case didn't have the clearance for it so don't have much choice but to put it across the intakes.

I was considering the noctua ones because they had a really good low noise level yet high static pressure compared to what else I saw around but I'll look for the ones you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

It's Mayhem Ice White, liked the look of the mayhem stuff -- So should hopefully be fine.
Nexzt time, go colored tubing. In the meantime, I would break your loop down in a few months and check things out. There is a reason people stay away from dye's in loops (buildup).

You should check out the stickies in the watercooling section to fill in any knowledge gaps you may have. :)

Back