• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight Simulator X is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bought this today, can't wait to get home and install it!

Hope it runs okay on my system. When is DX10 meant to be launched?

Quattro said:
Bought this today, can't wait to get home and install it!

Hope it runs okay on my system. When is DX10 meant to be launched?

Right around the release of Vista for the consumers.

Things that irk me:
1) Microsoft STILL hasn't cleaned up their big-jet act.
2) I don't really give a crap what the waves look like when I'm over the Pacific at FL380 and eight tenths the speed of sound, "dozing for dollars" as it were.
3) Performance, as I'm told by my circle of flight sim buddies, is horrid, and the product is not complete.

*happy with FS9 and his Level-D 767-300, Feelthere ERJ-145LR, and Greatest Airliners Boeing 727-200 for now*

Captain Newbie said:
3) Performance, as I'm told by my circle of flight sim buddies, is horrid, and the product is not complete.

I'll highlit this part because thats the exact same situation I was in with the Beta. The preformance was horrible, yielding 15 FPS (im sorry that sucks) with everything on low at 1920x1200. And I know its not the setup since I tried it with my old system and my new one and its the exact same way.

I wouldn't mind 25-30 FPS as that would be playable at least but it jerks way to much at 15.

yeah. i noticed it was out today as well $50 at wall mart.
i was there to get a copy of fs9 (IX? heh) for cheap and see about a cheap joystick.
but there was only FSX.
and ONE joystick, in a smashed box with no pricetag.
so i left.

i thought this thing ***just*** had its second beta and would be out with vista? like after christmas?
am i missing a part of the picture here?

Wow, am I severely disappointed in this latest offering.
No matter what I do to the settings I can't get decent performance while still having the visuals any better than Flight Simulator 2004. This is severely disconcerning because in X-Plane 8 I can throw the settings all the way up in 1600x1200 and still get better performance while having a level of detail higher than in FSX.
Microsoft's new engine for FSX frankly is garbage. The only improvement I can see is in the aircraft models.

I'm either going to stick with FS2004 or buy a full copy of X-plane 8.

Captain Slug said:
No matter what I do to the settings I can't get decent performance while still having the visuals any better than Flight Simulator 2004. This is severely disconcerning because in X-Plane 8 I can throw the settings all the way up in 1600x1200 and still get better performance while having a level of detail higher than in FSX.
Microsoft's new engine for FSX frankly is garbage. The only improvement I can see is in the aircraft models.

Only can wait and see what it offers in the DX10 market. Maybe its another ploy by MS to upgrade to Vista to play decently. Of course thats only if you have a DX10 card that is.

C.Slug,

That is X-plane photo, correct?

I have been using that sim since 4.0 and is one of my training tools before cross country flights. The high detail textured are nice, but mega GIGS. Hope you have a spare drive just for the sim.

Yes, and amusingly yes I do have a spare hard drive laying around that I could use.
For the the first time in my life, despite having been into flight sims for over 10 years, I got myself a professional quality joystick and throttle.
desk2.jpg

Last edited:
Damn full thing is 60Gigs wow. Seen the demos for it but never that X-Plane yet.

Captain Slug said:

I two am very discouraged about FSX,and so are many many simmers out there who bought this sim only to be disappointed in the results,it says on the box minimum hardware a 32 med video card and a 1 gig CPU,cna you imagine someone who knows nothing about flight sim or computers in general will see this and say,my computer will run this an
d he will spend $65 for nothing,as I did and many more out there.
When they developed this game they didn't think dual core CPUs would catch on,well they did but it was to late to change.

http://forums.avsim.net:80/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=121&topic_id=369614&mesg_id=369779&page

I went out and spent $800 on a Opty 170 and new memory and 2 7900s and I still have to use the low settings and still get,if I am lucky 20fps:temper:

Dave65 said:
I two am very discouraged about FSX,and so are many many simmers out there who bought this sim only to be disappointed in the results,it says on the box minimum hardware a 32 med video card and a 1 gig CPU,cna you imagine someone who knows nothing about flight sim or computers in general will see this and say,my computer will run this an
d he will spend $65 for nothing,as I did and many more out there.
When they developed this game they didn't think dual core CPUs would catch on,well they did but it was to late to change.

http://forums.avsim.net:80/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=121&topic_id=369614&mesg_id=369779&page

I went out and spent $800 on a Opty 170 and new memory and 2 7900s and I still have to use the low settings and still get,if I am lucky 20fps:temper:
Something wrong there D:

I played the demo on 1440x900, with medium-ishing settings, and it worked good(20-40 fps). 3Ghz P4, 2gb value ram, and a 9800 pro.

UnrealAlex said:
Something wrong there D:

I played the demo on 1440x900, with medium-ishing settings, and it worked good(20-40 fps). 3Ghz P4, 2gb value ram, and a 9800 pro.

Thats just it,I can play the Demo too with no problems..

One good thing though,I just bought my video cards,and NewEgg has a 30 day return policy on them,so I will be sending them back for an 8800 that is DirectX10 compatible..

Back