• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight Simulator X is INCREDIBLE!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dave65 said:
One good thing though,I just bought my video cards,and NewEgg has a 30 day return policy on them,so I will be sending them back for an 8800 that is DirectX10 compatible..
I remember reading that if they are still working, they charge like a 15% restocking fee or something.

*Shapes begins to cast #RESSURECTION# on an old thread!*

*CLEAR* zzZaaP!

Ok now that thats done with... anyone still actively playing this? Just picked this up and have a couple of questions.

Starting with: Does this baby support SLi? Heard back in the day it did not, or wasn't noticeable. Whats the current status on that. Also, I got an X52 flight controller thingie along with it (god bless the wives that fuel their husbands addictions) and was wondering if anyone had some profiles set up for it.

I haven't heard squat about this game in about a year anyway. I was hoping they would use the same engine and make a Combat Flight Sim X...

I played the demo and got bored. Went back to Lock-On Modern Air Combat. It's still the best combat flight sim I've ever played.

Speaking of Lock-On Modern Air COmbat... Check out this video. This guy set up 3 video screens and used that IR Tracker that tracks your head so if you look around the screen follows your view just like in a real plane!! Very cool!

Yeah after playing around with FSX, its looking like I'll be going back to FS2004. Heck I might even try X-Plane.

FS9 has a huge addon database that will have it looking graphically on-par if not better than FSX, and higher FPS.

And to the guy who rezzed this thread...I wouldn't worry about SLI. I was under in the impression this game is CPU limited all the way. All you would get from SLI is more heat and noise when it comes to this game.

Hey! That is my joystick that I just bought off of craigslist! It is a pretty nice joystick.

Anyway, just another screenie. You can see where the world ends in the demo:

fsx6.jpg

way to deep stall chief!

i sat in the back of a beech 1800D a week or two back and i could swear we decended about 3000ft in a deep stall. creepiest feeling ever!

landed with ice all over the thing in MKG. nothing like MKE>MKG>MBL in the winter i tell ya.

dunno what was worse, that or the ride north in the ice for two hours in a car.

rode the AMR EMB back from GRR>DAL>LBB and had the same feeling.
(my hate for northern michigan is reinforced)

whats up with small T-tails?
the big 9 thru 717 dont feel like that!

btw, i am stuck with the misery of flightgear.
my rig wouldnt run msfs 98 let alone FSX. - if i could afford it.

anybody know where i can get FS95-98 for cheap?
bargian bins?

Last edited:
Anyone playing this successfully on an Xfire setup, my uncle plays mainly flight sim x and wants Xfire, apparently with SP2 it works properly?

Xfire is a no go i think, it will work but performance will be lower than with any single decent nvidia card. MS FS has never liked ATI cards, i suspect the extra overhead of the Catalyst drivers are putting more strain on the CPU, and CPU has been the limiting factor for MS FS as long as i can remember.

The newer ATIs are not yet in multi-GPU charts at Tom's but still:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=867&model2=815&chart=352

i dont think the cats over head should be that much more then nvidia control panel...

it seems FS X is just poorly coded more so, just popped in a quad core and apparentl SP 2 is to improve muiltie core performance but barely does, with an 8800 GTS 320mb i can put everything ultra high, most finer details up (AA on in settings and tripple buffering on in DX10 mode)@ 1680 x 1050 and for thr most part it stay around 50-60FPS, of course once you hit cities it can drop as low as 15 fps breifly then back up.

I OC'd the 6600 to 3ghz and will be testing later on the same flight to see if it makes any diff if i have time before going back to costa rica.

Yeah, for me FSX performed better when I dropped SLI for a better mobo and a single graphics card. I was getting 15-20FPS at 1920x1080 with mostly maxed out settings and and Graphic X addon. When I went to a single card with a Q6600 my FPS is residing in mid 30s for the most part. But I've yet to see anything over 35FPS, even with my current system, which is far from "top of the line" but still, heck I can get 35-38FPS in crysis at that resolution with everything on high + custom CFG (to get all the DX10 goodies while in DX9 mode).

931252_20060811_screen001.jpg

THAT, my friends, is Flight Simulator X with Direct X 10. Or at least what an artist thinks it will look like, but I'm pretty sure that's pretty damn close to what it could end up being.

Unfortunately.... It doesn't. :beer:

I wanted to ask if the service packs helped at all? I have been thinking about picking it up and was wondering if it helped the performance.

Back