• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

floppy drive modding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you could not use a floppy drive they really aren't too needed nowadays because you can boot from CD and most people have a cd burner and it's like 5 bucks for 3 CDRW's so I suggest just not using on e at all

Its very tough matching floppy faceplates. Seems as if every single OEM and manufacturer used different faceplates. Best bet if you can't find one at a local used comp shop or computer fair is to dig out the epoxy once you can get one reasonably close. Of course, you could always keep it as a spare in case you buy a case with the floppy front built in.

dowmace said:
you could not use a floppy drive they really aren't too needed nowadays because you can boot from CD and most people have a cd burner and it's like 5 bucks for 3 CDRW's so I suggest just not using on e at all

Ever try to load RAID drivers from a CD?

CrystalMethod said:

Ever try to load RAID drivers from a CD?

Why does a floppy have to be permanently instaled?

I just hook one up whenever I need one once in ablue moon. Quick fix, problem solved, no ugly drive sticking its nose in my business.

you could install it facing backward into the case, into one of the HDD cages, so if you need to use it, just open the case.

Sounds like so much work. Hmm i just might as well get another one and sell the one from HP since floppies are around only $5-10 these days. Thanks guys.

I''ve got a floppy like that installed in my system. I just mounted it so that I could put the regular drive cover in front of it. So if I need to use it I just pop out the drive cover and there's the floppy. I also keep it disabled int he bios till I need it. Which isn't that often now that I've got a computer that can boot from usb, a internal usa compact flash reader, and a spare 16mb cf card that I use to boot from.

If you still have the drive cover for it, you should be able to cu tit so it can cover it while still being able to use the drive, ie- cut holes for the switch and stuff.

you could install it facing backward into the case, into one of the HDD cages, so if you need to use it, just open the case.

Boris posted what I think is the most sensible idea, but how much would a new floppy drive set you back? 8 bucks?

Fushyuguru said:

Why does a floppy have to be permanently instaled?

I just hook one up whenever I need one once in ablue moon. Quick fix, problem solved, no ugly drive sticking its nose in my business.

It doesn't. You don't even have to switch off your system when you hook one up (It's recommended, but not necessary). I usually just throw one in each of my systems just in case I happen to need one. That way I'm not digging around for hours in my pile of parts looking for one. It's more a conveinence thing than anything else.

Is there a way to put a face-plate on a floppy that i took from a old HP? It works fine but it has no face plate and looks really ugly. =/

You could always make a face plate out of an old floppy bay cover. Might be a little tedious to get things lined up right though.

Back