• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For all you watercooling nuts out there - hard data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tiger, how the heck do you have yoru temps that cold?

Mine is running at 30C Case Temp and 47C CPU temp when running under a SETI load.

I'm at 12x136 right now. 1.88V

How do you CHILL your coolant?

Computer Ninja said:
Tiger, how the heck do you have yoru temps that cold?

Mine is running at 30C Case Temp and 47C CPU temp when running under a SETI load.

I'm at 12x136 right now. 1.88V

How do you CHILL your coolant?
I am running a refrigerated chiller.

reco said:
This may be true but if you use a kit from overclockers hideout they have told me over the phone and in the directions that only distilled water can be used alcohol ethelyn glycol (anti freeze) water wetter will eventually damage the punp.
those guys at overclockers hideout must know alot about alcohol.
never heard of anybody using alcohol ethelyn glycol in their car. infact I have never heard of it period. I prefer to use Poly Ethylene Glycol.

Ethylene glycol is and has been the most common additive to sub-zero coolants for more than 60 years. All the fighter aircraft in WWII used it in their cooling systems. It's manufactured from glycerine (glycerol) which is also an alcohol. I have seen this post and don't really believe that it has a scientific basis to it. Propylene glycol apparantly damages plastics. I have done a search of possible interactions with polyethylene (material used to make the plastic piping) and never found any indication that there is a problem. Most of the submersable pumps have a magnetic drive in them so there is no contact between the drive shaft and the coolant. My pump (a maxijet) looks like it is almost entirely made of plastic inside and the impeller certainly has a plastic coating.

Tiger said:
Ethylene glycol is and has been the most common additive to sub-zero coolants for more than 60 years. All the fighter aircraft in WWII used it in their cooling systems. It's manufactured from glycerine (glycerol) which is also an alcohol. I have seen this post and don't really believe that it has a scientific basis to it. Propylene glycol apparantly damages plastics. I have done a search of possible interactions with polyethylene (material used to make the plastic piping) and never found any indication that there is a problem. Most of the submersable pumps have a magnetic drive in them so there is no contact between the drive shaft and the coolant. My pump (a maxijet) looks like it is almost entirely made of plastic inside and the impeller certainly has a plastic coating.
glycol is also a sugar

res0r9lm said:

glycol is also a sugar
Its actually classified as a polyhydric alcohol the molecular structure is CH2OH-CHOH-CH2OH. The 3 'OH' groups on each carbon make it an alcohol. It does taste sweet but that is caused by the alcohol group. Sugars are made up of benzene rings with OH group at position 6 on the molecule.

Last edited:
res0r9lm said:
What's the benifits of using Propylene glycol over Ethylene glycol
other than being less toxic?
I don't believe there are. It is likely that propylene glycol would actually make thermal transfer worse and I have heard reports that it damages plastic piping. I cannot confirm this since I have not seen any evidence of it. It certainly won't be less toxic.

res0r9lm said:
I thought alcohol was a sugar. atleast you can make alcohol with sugar
Yes sugars (the benzene rings) are broken down using enzymes in a fermantation process with yeast to form ethanol.

Some notes:
1. Glycol has a formula: CH2(OH)CH2(OH). Formula Tiger proposed is for glycerol. Name glycol is often also used for other alcohols with resembling structure.
2. Glycol a dihydric alcohol not a sugar.
3. Sugar structure does not contain a benzene ring. Sugar has an aldehyde or ketone group which is often in acetal or ketal form (thus sugar is then cyclic - but not aromatic). A sugar has also hydroxyl groups which make it also an alcohol.

Karsta said:
Some notes:
1. Glycol has a formula: CH2(OH)CH2(OH). Formula Tiger proposed is for glycerol. Name glycol is often also used for other alcohols with resembling structure.
2. Glycol a dihydric alcohol not a sugar.
3. Sugar structure does not contain a benzene ring. Sugar has an aldehyde or ketone group which is often in acetal or ketal form (thus sugar is then cyclic - but not aromatic). A sugar has also hydroxyl groups which make it also an alcohol.
so if staches are sugars does that make them alcohol too? not trying to be smarta$$ OR anything just curious.

Shadow ÒÓ said:
Should I change his member name to Water Boy? LOL

Very impressive friend. VERY!

thank you. been off the boards for awhile and i don't get the email notices on this thread anymore fer some reason. have been busy with school and the like. good to see the input by everyone. thank you all who have contributed thus far.

Last edited:
Karsta said:
And in addition: hydrogen peroxide reacts with copper. It is commonly used for corroding copper. I just used dilute solution in combination with hydrochloric acid to remove oxide layer after soldering water blocks. (Actually not so good idea because it left ugly rusty looking surface with powder "rust" which was hard to get rid of - citric acid works better for that)

yup yup - was aware of that. In WWII the nazi's made super fast/quiet/secret submarines that ran on H202 and the first messerschmidts and v2 rockets all ran on it.

of all the substances, hydrogen peroxide was the least realistic and least usable of the substances but at one point i got a hair and said "chuck it, why not?" and ran the specs for it just to see what happened- and it still came up waaaay behind. still, for purposes of comparison, it wasn't bad to have up there i don't think. 50:50 H202 is considered well within the industrial strength category and requires alot of moola and govt permits and safety equipment... more hassle than necessary.

Last edited:
res0r9lm said:

so if staches are sugars does that make them alcohol too? not trying to be smarta$$ OR anything just curious.

Do you mean starch? Starch is polymeric glucose and has multiple free hydroxyl groups thus it is also an alcohol. But you won't get drunk by eating starch;)

Alcohol is a compound which has one or many hydroxyl groups (-OH). So sugars, starch, methanol, ethanol, glycol, 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol), glycerol, phenol etc. are also alcohols. Many of those are poisonous, even lethal - only ethanol is suitable for drinking, sugar and starch for eating:p Something being an alcohol just tells that there is one or many hydroxyl groups which can give some information about reactivity or behaviour of the compound in question.

Edit: forgot to mention that the hydroxyl group has to be attached to a carbon atom. So water or hydrogen peroxide are not alcohols. Also hydroxyl group can be part of an another functional group like carboxylic acid (for example acetic acid CH3C(O)OH) then it is not classified as an alcohol but according to the functional group it is part of.

Last edited:
thermal cooling...

Thanks for the iformative info!!!
( I found it very interesting!! ) Thanks!!!
where can I find out more about water and other liquid cooling systems, and where can I get water cooling or water methane cooling apparatus for my computer system at "rock- bottom"
"aka" "poor man's" price range???
PLease send me some info on where I can get said equiptment at the absolute lowest cost please to: [email protected]...
Thanks again!!!:)

Back