• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those on the budget fence

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PYROMANIAC

After enjoying this setup for my htpc for about 2 years now I thought i'd share some experiences with those of you who are inevitebly on the fence about buying budget parts for their main or alternate pc as I know moeny is an option for almost everyone.

I built this computer in the summer of 08 with 1 goal in mind, spend as little money as possible but retain functionality for the purpose. The goal of this computer was to serve as an htpc with hdmi output, I had to find the cheapest parts.

When I went on search for a cheap micro-atx board with hdmi out I found a fledgling company ZOTAC. With a ridiculous name and almost no credentials I blindly purchased the N73PV-Supreme for $54. This board had what I needed, HDMI powered by the nvidia 7100 onboard graphics. It also had 4 onboard sata and was provided RAID via the nforce 630i chipset.

At this point you're probably wondering "what does this have to do with storage?" Good question. At first I just had a single 500gb hd because that suited the purpose at the time. A while later I purchased another of the same 500gb drive and went from my beloved winxpmce to vista 64 ultimate in a RAID 0 environment.

Despite the cheap pricetag on this board which sometimes carries down to the performance like some other manufacturers, this board never ceases to make me happy i paid $55 for it. If you're on the fence about buying budget hardware I understand exactly where you're coming from, but keep in mind that budget prices do not always mean budget performance. I would not always go budget, my intention is to share my experience with what some would consider "iffy" hardware.

Below are the full specs for the htpc and 2 raid benchmarks that I ran on the first day of install on the old vista ultimate and now windows 7(windows 7 mc is BEAUTIFUL).

ZOTAC N73PV-Supreme $54.99
Intel Celeron E1400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core $61.99
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $44.99
Microsoft A9O-00007 WinXP Media Center Infrared Remote Control $38.99
hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC 7K09 HTPC Case $49.99
Seagate 7200.10 ST3500630AS $79.99 and later 1 more for $64.99
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner $27.99
GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS PCI $17.99
Combo discount of $11 for the case/remote

Total without $36 of shipping $364

I have also attached these images since the built in picture viewer of this forum still leaves them a bit fuzzy.

As a comparison I am also including a picture that I found when I first built the computer of a pair of Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drives in RAID0 with the Intel controller on the Intel D975XBX motherboard on Vista ultimate 32-bit.

hdtach1eg4.jpg

hdtach2.jpg

The Raptors
hdtach1.jpg

Attachments

• hdtach1eg4.jpg
    hdtach1eg4.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 185
  • hdtach2.jpg
    hdtach2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 180
Back