• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forgot external HDD power supply at school...can I use another one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup, anything that outputs 3A at 12V will work fine, if the connector fits.

Not sure what the impact is if you use one that does less than 3A (no worky I imagine, maybe melt the adaptor) or one that does more than 3A (maybe work fine, the thing should only pull the current it needs, or maybe it will fry your drive and burn your house down).

If it's anything other than a 3A at 12V adapter, do not act on my advice. You could die. Maybe someone else knows the answer to my questions.

Yup, anything that outputs 3A at 12V will work fine, if the connector fits.

Not sure what the impact is if you use one that does less than 3A (no worky I imagine, maybe melt the adaptor) or one that does more than 3A (maybe work fine, the thing should only pull the current it needs, or maybe it will fry your drive and burn your house down).

If it's anything other than a 3A at 12V adapter, do not act on my advice. You could die. Maybe someone else knows the answer to my questions.

Saying you could die is bit drastic but not unwarranted.

I have eleventy billion external drives and all of their power supplies are tangled up in a couple of boxes in my closet. When I need to use one I just grab the one off the top, check voltage/polarity/amperage, plug it in and go. Haven't blown up anything yet.

If you get a 2A power supply and your enclosure (somehow) pulls 3A the worst you'll do is melt some wires in the wall wart. Just get a 3A to be sure.

Back