• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fractal Design S Fan Help 🙂.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AWitney87

Good afternoon everyone 🙂,

My father decided to retire from his IT company earlier on today, while making the most of this man made (?) epidemic, depending on who you believe 🙂. While I helped smuggle his stuff out of his office, his boss allowed me to visit the companys computer graveyard in the basement and take some parts. I only took the fans as everything else wasn't needed.

I have a new case, Fractal Design S, coming within the next day, but I'm stuck on fan placements. I am well aware that what I have now is pure overkill, but while I have it, I would like to make the most of it.

I would like some help with the fan locations and which fans to use.

I have the following fan + AIO collection 😎😎😎;

140mm-
X6 Artic F14 @1350rpm
(acfan00079a)
X3 Cosairs @1150rpm
(a1425l125-2)
X4 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14
(?)
X1 Cooler Master @1000rpm
(a14025-10cb-3bn-f1)

120mm-
X2 Cosair Sp120l @2700rpm
(sku co-8950002)
X1 Silent Cooler @1100rpm

AIO-
X1 Fractual Design Celsius S36.

I would like to put the X3 140mm Cosairs as top exhausts.

Either the 140mm Cooler Master/ Fractals GP14 as the rear exhaust.

For the bottom, depending on space, I would use the Fractals GP14 or the 120mm Silent Cooler.

For the front, do I keep Fractals S36 as stock with the X3 120mm fans on her, or could I possibly mount the radiator, then mount the X6 140mm Artic F14s around it for the Push/ Pull effect? (I'm well aware that the 140mms will sandwich the poor little radiator 🙂. Would the airflow, no matter how minimal and overkill it is, would it be cooler with the X6 140mm's?.

My case will have the following (the above fans and fractals S36 is complete overkill for what I have at the moment, I know 😉); Ryzen 5 2600X, B450 Aorus Elite, Gigabyte GeForce 1060 6GB, G/Skill Ripjaws V 16GB, Kolink Continuum KL-C1050PL 1050W, Hitachi 2TB, Western Digital 1TB (Work).

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Edit: How would you guys allocate your fan placement with the above?

Many thanks,

Adam

Honestly you should try the stock configuration on the AIO and test temperatures before buying more fans for it. It might be fine for you at stock. As far as the case fans go, experiment a little with placements. More fans isn't always better. Just my two pennies. Good luck on the new build!

I would suggest using PWM fans. You want air flow, usually in through the front and out through the top and back. Going push/pull on the rad will probably help temps a bit, but you'll have to experiment. I noticed in your spec you don't seem to have and SSD. If this is the case you should sell some of your extra cooling gear, maybe even the S36, and purchase an SSD, as the lack of an SSD will really be holding you back.

Back