• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried CPU, time for new rig, looking Intel after ~10 years of AMD, your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirRealist

Fried CPU, time for new rig, looking Intel after ~10 years of AMD, your thoughts?

So this starts out as all AMD discussion/parts for new rig, but PLEASE read on! I'm looking to you guys to show me that i should be going Intel at this point, if that is in fact true.

So yeah, I OCed my 4200+ to:
11 x 260 @ 1.55v, 52-54C and it primed fine for 12hrs
Then 3 days later, it wont boot any OS
Only way it boots now is if I set it all to stock settings and lower multi to 6x. RAM is good, mobo caps are good, PSU voltage output is good etc etc.

If you're curious for the whole story, see my thread here:
Sadness

Well, so its not a totally bum deal... now I have an excuse to build a whole new rig! Here's what I'm thinking:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe

OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZWOF BlackBox

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Tuniq Tower 120

EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM

The idea here is to build a system i don't even HAVE to overclock, or at the very most OC to an extremely safe level (so i don't have a recurrence of what happened last time, where all seemed in the green and yet it still died). Then, as the system ages, I can OC what I've got in there (and add another vid card) to extend its life. Should I go with 2 x 1GB or 4 x 1GB of RAM? I am currently running XP, and I don't plan on upgrading to Vista, but maybe I should. If I build a new system, I'll need to clean install and OS, so should I go Vista now?

To sum up:

1) What do you think of my components?

2) 2GB RAM or 4GB?

3) Should I go Vista? Someone on another thread said:
"I do want to mention I think you should go with Vista, it's DX10 and that alone makes it worth it. Go 64-bit and get 4GB of ram..... For 64bit 4GB ram makes a huge difference, and witht he prices of DDR2 now, definitely get 4GB. Now I ran 64-bit with 2gb for months and my PC was just not as snappy as I like,. I got another 2gb kit and wala, system is blazing fast, load times are insanely low.." So, in addition tot he vista question, should I go 64bit?

4) Finally, and this is a big one... should I be looking at Intel? Is AM2 the way to go right now and not Intel?
I haven't bought Intel since my Celeron 366, which was my first OC (got it to 566!), but I'm not "married" to AMD; I'm married to best bang for my buck. I want to build a system that's going to last, and is going to be a screamer, and If I'm going to put this much money into this thing, I don't want to regret not even looking at Intel. The thing is though, its been SO LONG since I've even really considered Intel, I don't even know where to begin. Obvously I need to do my own research, but I figure you guys can get me on the right track at least. I think all my components are good for Intel system (unless you have thoughts otherwise), except CPU and mobo. So, could you guys make some suggestions as to some Intel replacements for these components? The "equivalents"? Let me reiterate... I'm looking for somethign that will be totally solid right out of the box with little or no OC needed, but has LOTS of potential for doing so in the future. Hopefully you guys know both AMD and Intel parts and can help me out with suggesting the right Intel equivalents. I don't mind spending a little more if I have to, but I don't want to break the bank! Please, no fan boy responses, just clear discussion.

The rig looks to be about $1100 (with 2GB ram, $1166 for 4GB)

I truly truly appreciate all your help and wisdom! Again, for the new rig, I'm looking for best bang for my buck, in the long run (if that makes sense). :drool:

$89 DS3L P35 chipset mobo (egg)
$200 E8400 6MB L2, 4Ghz capable on air (egg)
$45 G.Skill NQ 2x1GB sticks (The 1200 review ones), can hit 500MHz, mine do 419Mhz 4-4-4-12 2.1V (egg)
TT is fine, ultima 90 and Thermalright Ultra Extreme are good
GTS a bit more costly than GT, do you need that extra boost?
Raptors are noisy, can you handle that?
GameXSteam is ok PSU, got a bit of ripple, Corsair 620W is modular and is $136 at PROVANTAGE http://www.provantage.com/corsair-memory-cmpsu-620hx~7CSMC02Y.htm
Review (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=21)
Figure out Vista on your own.

Last edited:
Intel for sure, get one of the new E8000 series dualcores, performance and overclockability is better and performance per watt is impressive compared to Windsor.

About Vista, i agree with "for DX10 alone". Im gonna get Vista H0me Basic and some E8000 series CPU for a new gaming rig soon, i dont worry about anything besides Dx10 support, for everything else theres always Debian =)
64bit, i dont know, i just know i will be getting 32bit to be on the safe side, when games need more than 3-4GB RAM an E8500 is probably outdated anyway.

man, i was a faithful amd man for years as well; however, i made the leap to a q6600 and using stock settings i love it. granted i was using a single core 3200+ but still. im still a big fan of amd, but i think they have been slacking in recent years and needs to kick it into gear.

i say ditch the raptor. apparently these 410as model seagates are faster. they're the prototype for the 11 series i heard. don't know from personal experience. i'd research it a little. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

i'd personally go with a 2x2gig kit as they can be had for under $100 these days. you'll have a nice upgrade path if you want 8gigs in the future.

intel vs amd really depends on you. amds are dirt cheap. they overclock okay but not as well as intel though.

i say ditch the raptor. apparently these 410as model seagates are faster. they're the prototype for the 11 series i heard. don't know from personal experience. i'd research it a little. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

i'd personally go with a 2x2gig kit as they can be had for under $100 these days. you'll have a nice upgrade path if you want 8gigs in the future.

intel vs amd really depends on you. amds are dirt cheap. they overclock okay but not as well as intel though.

what do you think of the one i posted above you? i think its the same thing, but just 320GB instead of 250... for $30 mroe (15x), i figure its worth if for the additional 70GB... maybe not... thoughts?

Last edited:
Okay, I've solidified my rig... it is now:

ABIT IP35 Pro

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

Tuniq T-120-LFB

(2x) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200

And, an e8400 for processor.

I'm going to buy it all from egg except the PSU, which provantage has for a better price. I don't know when egg is going to have e8400... do any of you?

So the idea is to raid 0 the 2 HDs, then dual boot vista 64 and XP. Then use my existing 160GB & 500GB for storage. I was thinking of devoting about 200Gb for Vista and the rest for XP. and I am doing mostly gaming (no video encoding etc). So, what do you guys think of my rig? I am putting all this is my antec 900 case (thank god for modular cables on PSU!) with customized (air) cooling.

Thoughts? Feelings?

PS - Thanks to all for getting me to this point (esp Hazaro)!

Last edited:
Nice setup. Hope it will not take too long before you can get an E8400, very popular chip, could be hard to find right after initial availability, which is one of the reasons i ordered an E8500 (that and hoping they are really higher binned).

IP35 Pro looks to be a very good board, if i were looking at P35 that would be my choice as well. However its only $20 more for GA-X38-DS4, i think its worth it. Real dual x16 PCIe2.0 and tighter northbridge timings for the price of a few beers, + its easily prime stable at FSB 550.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128080

Nice setup. Hope it will not take too long before you can get an E8400, very popular chip, could be hard to find right after initial availability, which is one of the reasons i ordered an E8500 (that and hoping they are really higher binned).

IP35 Pro looks to be a very good board, if i were looking at P35 that would be my choice as well. However its only $20 more for GA-X38-DS4, i think its worth it. Real dual x16 PCIe2.0 and tighter northbridge timings for the price of a few beers, + its easily prime stable at FSB 550.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128080

Okay, interesting... I'll have to read reviews. Also, if I were going to do that, whats another $30 more,right? So, how does the gigabyte compare to the asus board:

ASUS P5E

get a 7200.11 500gig seagate drive instead of the old 7200.10 320g drive. The 7200.11 are way faster.

Agreed... updated my proposed rig

order placed!!!! Got all the gear listed, plus a SATA dvd-rw. Got the PSU from provantage (no MIR), the E8400 from tankguys, and the rest from egg. $1200 shipped... I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else got thoughts on the rig?

I was a little bummed to learn that only nVidia chipsets can do SLI (abit IP90 Pro can do crossfire, but I'm doing nVidia), so I cant add another 8800GT in the future if i wanted to, but oh well. The reason I was thinking of SLI is because my flatscreen is 1680x1050 native, and thats the res i want to run ALL games at; any other res at full screen looks blurry, even if there is no scaling and it is at proper aspect ratio. So, im willing to sacrifice goodies (like AA, AF etc) to keep the game at that rez with smooth FPS. So im hoping that this system will be good to go for gaming @ 1680x1050 for a while to come, now that i know i cant put in another 8800GT.

Thoughts?

Other than that, I think I'm pretty solid.

Back