• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend starting a lan center, wants 120 pcs, where i get 120 of each product?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The idea is cool. The nearest Cineplex to me recently shut down and I have thought that it would be an excellent place to persue this idea. I have read about old theaters being modded into gaming centers and also using the big screen to play as well. My thoughts would be that to use the big screen you would pay like $50 an hour and the rest of the systems on monitors would be in the neighboarhood of $10-$20 an hour. Anyways, its all a pipedream for me, but hopefully your buddy is able to pull through with his dream.

Sounds awsome, does it have balconies? I think gaming on one and lookign down at the other players' machines would be cool... How many theaters are in it... 1 theater could be used for a different game and set to that style maybe...

Note to self, look for cineplex....

Damn nice idea tuk...

What i suggest is bolting down everything. Bolt down the tables, bolt down the monitor (I suggest LCD just because of the deskspace it saves and the cut down on electricity). Bolt each computer case to the floor. It doesn't matter how much money your friend has I'm sure he'd be angry if someone stole one of his PC's. :mad: Then in front of each PC mount acrylic so that the PC could be seen and not touched, but cut a hole so the drive may be accessed, that and a USB port in case they want to use a usbpendrive.

As far as security goes, higher a 3rd party group to watch the security cameras for you. It shouldn't be terribly expensive per month and since they do it 24/7 you will have constant protection.

If you're going to have people bringing their own PCs have a seperate area for them and have them sign waivers agreeing that any broken/stolen goods are not your fault.

Make sure you check out the rules for the place you live, in SoCal they have laws where internet cafe's cannot be open past 2am, it sucks but that's the law.

One final addition would to maybe have a television or two going so if the customers so choose they can watch the TV, also make sure you have monthly contests to draw customer's in, it doesn't necessarily have to be a $3000 machine (that's bad for business! you'll lose that customer) but what would be good would be like 1 all day pass or 30 hours free.

One final addition would to maybe have a television or two going so if the customers so choose they can watch the TV
Why not just install a HDTV proxy server and allow users to connect through a web-based interface?

Why Lan centers will fade...

1. Broadband is getting faster, more and more people are subscribing.

2. Initial investment vs. 1st Year expected Revenue.

3. Operation Costs.

4. Maintanence and Upgrades/Replacement.

5. Number of users today with PC's capable of running todays games.

buttonmash said:

3. Operation Costs.

I think lan centers will fade but not lan parties :D

I would have a row of desks with the towers inside a locked cabinet in each and have little vents on the front. This is going to be a crazy lan center.

-1cem4n

Sun_tzu617 said:
My friend is startign a lan center, and wants around 120 or the best pcs out (well, 6800gts, and amd 64 3500's) I order everythign from newegg, but they just dont have enough, and only allow 5 per customer, where can i get that much? Do i have to ask the manufact?

I need 120 pc's with these specs!

Chieftech cases
ocz 470 psu's
amd 64 3500
ram - thinking buffalo or crucial stuff
mobo- Abit av8
2x 74 raptors in raid (for room and speed and we are all gamins, so we need fast boot/load times)
custom paint jobs on all of em (you know maybe 300 bucks each)
The mx510 series mouse, and a keyboard thast nice but not wireless (might get stolen)
6800 gt's to play doom/stalker/farcry and stuff
etc.

thx for helping!

let me know when this place goes up. ill have to take a trip down to miami from tampa and see this place in action.

the local lan by me is ok, but has too much lag and their PC's are behind.

At all the LAN's ive been too you had to bring your own computer, moniter, and headphones. I guess that I have been missing out.

buttonmash said:

3. Operation Costs.

na i go to the LAN center by me all the time an i know 90% of the people there have hardware/connections and are capable of playing at home, it's just cool to take 5 friends and play agaisnt each other while sitting 2 feet away from each other :cool:

Have the cases hanging from the ceiling. Make then UV lighted and in a semi-darkish area, the cases would have clear sides and the UV will make it look great, you'd also notice if one of the cases are stolen if it's disappeared from the top.

Whys everyone giving advice for a year old thread and an apparent non existant LAN Center?

Back