• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

future cpus'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
while digging around on another subject I have run up on moores law.
thinking about that a little has caused me to think about what happens when the transistors get so small that the fact that silicone, on the atomic level is basicly unstable.
so what do cpus' get made of then? will they get more powerful after that point? will we have any reason to buy anymore computer toys then? will anybody bother making computers if we only buy computer stuff when it breaks?
when might this happen, if at all?

I would guess that's where quantum computing steps in and saves us all. Although it looks like the cost and complexity of QC (at this point) will have us back around to computing as a service, with just a monitor and peripherals on our desktop. Or holographically projected on our eyeballs, or delivered via implant directly to our optic and auditory nerves. VR for everyone. Of course, that means no offline computing for anyone. Big Brother will be up to date on everything we do. And think. For a nominal fee, of course. Advertising will be targeted like an AIM-9 Sidewinder is targeted then. Instead of trying to tempt us it will explode in our cortex until we buy XYZ's latest worthless junk. Yay, future. I'm glad I'm old. LOL

Maybe we should turn the question around, what are the next areas of technology to touch our lives, and then look at how will we get that? AI, deep learning and all that stuff is one area for ongoing expansion. There will be some balance between local power, and cloud services. Is quantum computing going to be a part of that? Probably, but in what ways?

Maybe they'll also come up with more novel ways to get better scaling even once we hit the silicon wall. If you can't improve density, you can still go wide. On that note, even if silicon has reached its limits, there are other materials with superior characteristics for clock. This wont be a space or power saving, but using those alternate materials might allow higher clocks than seen today, and is probably not done due to the cost. Silicon is relatively cheap compared to those.

I would guess that's where quantum computing steps in and saves us all. Although it looks like the cost and complexity of QC (at this point) will have us back around to computing as a service, with just a monitor and peripherals on our desktop. Or holographically projected on our eyeballs, or delivered via implant directly to our optic and auditory nerves. VR for everyone. Of course, that means no offline computing for anyone. Big Brother will be up to date on everything we do. And think. For a nominal fee, of course. Advertising will be targeted like an AIM-9 Sidewinder is targeted then. Instead of trying to tempt us it will explode in our cortex until we buy XYZ's latest worthless junk. Yay, future. I'm glad I'm old. LOL
Thanks Alaric, that sheet was funny! :thup:

I'm so anti-future I'm spending all my time and money on Denebs, Thubans, K8s, and AM3 boards. I bought 4 GB of DDR3 last month. I'm thinking about smoking more, too. :D

I'm so anti-future I'm spending all my time and money on Denebs, Thubans, K8s, and AM3 boards. I bought 4 GB of DDR3 last month. I'm thinking about smoking more, too. :D
Nothing wrong with them old school processors. Them old AMD chips are hella fun to play with. Sorry CD back to the quantum computing. :D

I have zero interest in "cloud" anything. I don't even like the euphemism. Funny commercials for rental storage units aside, if we called it what it is-somebody else' computer-I think the appeal would drop off somewhat. I'm not giving my data to some stranger with a leaky box to keep "safe". Data banks are vulnerable. I know, my house can burn down. That's a personal misfortune of mine, though. I don't want my stuff to be at risk of a stranger's misfortune. Computing as a service doesn't hold any more appeal for me than operating systems as a service, and in fact doubles down on those two undesirable states.

Chronophobia is defined as the persistent and often irrational fear of the future or the fear of passing time. Since time can be considered as a “specific object”, Chronophobia falls under the category of specific phobias. The word Chronophobia is derived from Greek ‘chronos’ meaning time and phobos meaning fear.

The question of time has always baffled mankind: many writers, philosophers, scientists, and social critics have tried to research its elusive nature. In case of persistent Chronophobia, the sufferer develops an extreme fear of passing time in that; s/he suddenly feels that the present moment is going to be in the past soon and this thought can terrify him/her. The phobic obsesses over time; s/he is extremely anxious so much so that it affects his/her day-to-day functioning. The phobia mainly affects prison inmates, elderly people or individuals who may already be suffering from various anxiety disorders.

Causes of Chronophobia
The causes of the fear of the future phobia greatly vary from person to person. Most experts believe that a highly stressful or traumatic event can suddenly bring on the phobia.

Chronophobia, as mentioned above, can come on suddenly – sometimes, even a simple benign comment like “Time moves so fast” can trigger this phobia in a person already suffering from certain anxiety disorders.
Depression is a major trigger of this phobia. A person might turn 40 and suddenly feel empty: this is the time when the kids usually leave the nest, and one starts feeling empty, useless or feels s/he is not contributing in any way.
Loss of employment, death of a loved one, divorce or separation can also sometimes trigger Chronophobia.
With passing time come the afflictions of old age as well as the inevitability of death.
Women undergoing menopause are more prone to the fear of the future phobia.
The phobia is also related to adrenal insufficiency, hormonal imbalance, surgery, certain medical conditions like thyroid, heart diseases etc.
Prison inmates serving for long periods of time are also known to suffer from Chronophobia as they often lose the sense of time and reality. This condition is termed as prison neurosis and it is often accompanied by claustrophobia (owing to the confined space of prison cells.)
Sometimes, even a traumatic event in one’s childhood can trigger this phobia.
Chronophobia may also be hereditary or genetic.
Symptoms of the fear of the future phobia
Chronophobia affects different people differently. A young man suffering from this phobia, for example, might suddenly drop out of college where most people his age are busy preparing for their future. Usually, chronophobes undergo various physical and emotional symptoms which include:

Feeling totally detached from reality
Having a full blown panic attack at the thought of passing time: breathlessness, heart palpitations and dizziness, fainting, sweating excessively and, in general, feeling completely out of control.
Feeling lost-not knowing what to do –often embarrassing oneself in front of others.
Feeling like running away, crying, shaking, or trembling.
Having overwhelming thoughts of death and dying
Being unable to express oneself clearly
Overcoming the phobia
Many self help techniques and specialized treatments are available to help ease the severe anxiety that accompanies Chronophobia. Hypnotherapy is one such therapy which has given positive results and has even been approved by American Medical Association for treating various mental disorders.

Another form of psychotherapy, NLP or Neuro-linguistic programming is a proven therapy for overcoming the fear of the future phobia. An expert practitioner can help the phobic “fix” his/her preconceived notions about time and the future.
Fearof.net
Welcome to my world, Alaric Sir

Nah, the future is gonna happen whether I like the way it happens or not. I don't mind tomorrow, I mind what the Idiots are likely to do to it. LOL

I'm afraid it doesn't look very bright, dear sir..hopefully they design CPUs that can complement ones brain in everyday calculations. We could really use that in some folks' heads..

Checked YouTube "trending" videos and was very upset seeing what I saw. Bunch of useless and very stupid stuff..why aren't "rebuilding an ICE" trending? Or build something tutorial...

even if it all goes to the cloud "they will still need cpus'

I have to agree, but what will the chips be made of???
after silicone, what's next?

With the current state of tech, and the direction progress seems to be going right now, I'm still leaning towards a system of quantum nexus' ("cloud computing, for lack of a better descriptive) and end user terminals. But-and it's a big 'ol butt(think Nicki Minaj)-there could be a breakthrough in quantum chips/systems that allows for personal computers to go on or something that gets over the current hurdle in an economically feasible way. An awful lot of technological breakthroughs have been from side quests, so I wouldn't rule out an accidental solution, either.

flat tacos, nothin' like it!

Look both ways before you cross the street and you won't have that problem!

It will probably be the most ultra optimized 1.7ghz you've ever seen

Yeah, an optimized single core 1.7 GHz ARM will be waaaaay more useful than my 4.7 GHz x86 quad core with Hyper Threading. :rolleyes: I have a Phenom X4 with a burnt pin that I'd rather use.

Oh lighten up, sir, it'll be great! You'll like it! Imagine running cinebench from a tablet everyone's score will be the same! No need to tinker!

Back