• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 + GA-78LMT-S2 Mild Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalMatty

So, I'm going to start by saying I'm relatively new to the world of OCing. I have done a small OC on my old graphics card (1050Ti SC), but never anything with the CPU. I have done quite a bit of research, but I'm still worried because, well, obviously you can fry everything if you do it wrong.

So let me follow up by saying I know this mobo sucks for OCing. I have seen it already in a few posts here saying that the board itself cannot handle the heat from extra voltage.

I'm not necessarily trying to break any records here. I had a FX4300 in this system, and while it was fine, I have (due to outside circumstances) a constant sort of screen recorder happening on my system. My theory is that having two extra cores might help alleviate the stress of that screen recorder. My issue, and the reason I want to OC even though realistically it won't make a difference, is just to get the base clock speed of the FX6300 to match the FX4300 (3.5Ghz-3.8Ghz). The turbo speed of the FX6300 is obviously .1 Ghz higher than the FX4300, so I really wouldn't even need to mess with that.

So, I guess all I'm really asking is, -should- I be okay to just bump the base speed up to 3.8GHz, and leave boost on 4.1? I am guessing this probably won't actually benefit a lot, but it's kind of OCD in a way.

Overall specs are:
Case: Phantex P400 with 3 intake and one exhaust fan, plus a 66-70 degree F ambient temp.
CPU: FX6300 (obviously)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
PSU: 750W EVGA
GPU: Currently a 1050 Ti Sc, will be a Zotac 1060 6GB AMP! by hopefully Monday when it shows up.
There IS a slightly larger than stock cooler for the CPU. It's not quite EVO212 size, but it's definitely bigger than stock. I'd say probably 1-1.5" larger than the stock cooler.

Again, I'm not looking for a major OC, and I'm guessing that what I want to do isn't going to actually make anything run better, but I was just curious if it can be done, and if it might help things out.
I guess an easier way to ask my -overall- question: Is there any benefit from leaving turbo boost to 4.1GHz and raising the base speed to 3.8GHz, or does most (or all) of the benefit from an OC come from turning turbo boost off an having the CPU run at a constant, higher speed?

The most you can do is try it and see. Keep an eye on temps. What I see happening is the motherboard likely throttling the CPU back

If I do end up just leaving turbo boost on, will it actually benefit at all to raise the base speed to 3.8GHz or is it really just a waste of time?

I do apologize for these annoying noobie questions, I know you veterans hate these kind of threads (I understand 'cause I'm the you on some car forums, lol).

It can't hurt. As long as you don't push too far that board will work but it is very limited, a lot will depend on how much voltage the CPU needs to hit some higher clocks. More voltage puts more strain on the delivery system, first thing you'll want to do is put a fan blowing on the power section.

I guess the first thing to do before going into this relatively blind is to see how the CPU does all stock. I need to just stress test it how it is and see if it can even handle being in boost mode for extended periods. Because if VRM throttles back all stock, it certainly won't be able to handle it slightly OC'd. So I will report back with stock findings, and if they turn out pretty well I may report back with slightly OCd findings as well. Thank you for your help!

Good move, I would still mount a fan on it though

How would one go about mounting a fan outside of the case spots? I actually have two more generic fans coming in that I was thinking of returning, but I can always try to mount one over the power section. I do still have one open fan port on the mobo, the other 4 fans are all just hooked onto the PSU's Motex.

Edit: Also, what program do you recommend for the stress test? Prime95?

How would one go about mounting a fan outside of the case spots?

Zip ties work if you have a heatsink on the power section. Just zip the fan straight to the sink. I suppose you could use rubber bands or paperclips as well, but there are reasons to be careful with both of those

Yeah P95 is a good stressor
That's part of the problem knoober, his board doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRM which is only 3+1 to start with.

Yeah P95 is a good stressor
doesn't even have a heatsink on the VRM
sv8wn.jpeg

I was afraid that might be the case but was too lazy to look :chair:

So if you don't have a heatsink to attach to then you can still use zip ties (in chains if you have to) and anchor wherever you can reach.

You could also get more involved and add sinks. There are some that you can buy but I've never used them. I've had good luck cooling various things with scavenged sink from old e-waste. A little thermal paste and superglue (thanks MrScott) works well

Back