• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350 NH-D14 high temps!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blozz

Registered
hey guys, bought my NH-d14, new 990fx sabertooth board and psu yesterday planning to get some decent air cooled overclocking in, just to find that my computer runs at 38-45C when i run prime 95 it takes a few minutes but it gets to 64 degrees then i cancel because i've heard 65+ is bad for the CPU.
what do i do? i've tried reseating the cooler, applying 2 batch of thermal paste. still nothing better?
any suggestions? :bang head:sn::ty:

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

If one cannot run a full 20mins then run until one thinks the temps are too high then turn-off P95 Blend and 'then' capture the HWMonitor that has been open and running during P95 Blend mode.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You probably should have just continued in you last thread but as we asked there, we need screen shots of what Rgone has asked and Johan in the last thread. We can't help you unless you help us see whats going on.

What does it look like when heatsink compound is applied using various methods. Lines, dots, crosses spreading etc.

prime 95 hit 64c within a few minutes, but i stopped it then because i've read that over 65 is not good for 8350's.
23tpa37.png.jpg
please let me know what you think could be the culprit so i can check it out, many thanks, from brendan

please reply guys, i know cause im australian the time differences are ****ed up! but i really do need help with getting my temps down.

A whole lot of jumping and looping???

It seems pretty difficult to get any real information about this users setup/configuration. He moved from a questionable MSI board and mini-water loop to a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and Noctua D14 and is wanting to know why the system seems to still run the cpu hot.

Well I have over time made up some relatively descriptive pics of case cooling issues so no sense in REinventing the wheel entirely.

Since we know nothing about the OPs actual case cooling, I will insert three captures and some information.

Being a mid-tower, the Scout 2 measures 9.1” wide, 20.2” tall and 20.5” long. << That should be a good sized case, BUT...

The Scout 2 can handle heatsinks up to 6.4" (162mm) tall. We expected a little more headroom from a case that measures 9.1" (230mm) wide, but the Scout 2 will still accommodate most high-end air coolers. << 9.1 inches wide and only handle a 6.4 inch tall air cooler? Kidding me?

Cooling is managed by a single rear 120mm fan that features red LEDs that can be turned off. That is the extent of the pre-installed fans, which is one of the weakest packages we have seen in recent times, though considering the quality of this case and its $90 asking price, we understand certain sacrifices had to be made. << Only having a single fan installed could allow the actual user to buy the exact fans he wishes to install and not have to pay for extra fans not good enough for his intended use.

I saved this graphic posted by 'trents' at some time and showing how it would seem best to have air move thru a case to remove the heat from within the case. Thanks "trents".

trents air flow.jpg

Some time last year I spent the time to annotate what seemed issues with a LianLi case made OH SO similar to the CM Scout 2 case. No real sense for me to have to go thru the whole thing again.

bLian Side View.jpg

Now a quick look at the CM Scout 2 case and how it is oh so similar to the LianLi situation above and how cool air may not be coming into case and hot air being removed. Plus we have no idea how many fans the OP has installed nor where, nor how long the video card is nor how many drives and location are being used. Many unanswered questions, but I can easily see how a Noctua D-14 may still struggle to cool a HOT FX-8 core processor.

Side CM Scout 2.jpg
RGone...ster.

rgone I have skyped him and he has a cm scout case and I've had him turn all his fans in the proper config and exhaust his cooler out the back. I think it may be ambient temps effecting it because I put my nh-d14 back on for him with only one 140mm and I got to [email protected] before hitting his temps. hes in Australia and its quite hot.

im here sorry. what information do you want to know? :)
ill try get as much information as i can :)

I put my nh-d14 back on for him with only one 140mm and I got to [email protected] before hitting his temps.
You physically went there and put the heatsink on? Yes ambient temps play a huge role as well as airflow through the case.

A heatsink can only cool as well as the air surrounding it. What are the ambient temps, where the Pc is?

im here sorry. what information do you want to know? :)
ill try get as much information as i can :)

Ambient temps, amount of fans in the case.

Additionally you can try taking the side panel off the case and then running prime with hwmonitor open. If the temps drop then adding additional fans in the case will help.

the ambient temperature is about 22-23 degrees celcius in my room. so i dont see why its at 46c

rgone I have skyped him and he has a cm scout case and I've had him turn all his fans in the proper config and exhaust his cooler out the back. I think it may be ambient temps effecting it because I put my nh-d14 back on for him with only one 140mm and I got to [email protected] before hitting his temps. hes in Australia and its quite hot.

1. I looked at your Rosewill THOR V2 and it is designed very similar to his CM Scout 2.

2. How many fans is he using on the D-14?

3. Is the D-14 mounted so it is blowing AT the rear fan? Is it the stock rear fan he is still using. Seems it was just a so-so fan model and might not pull enough air out of the case.

4. He says 22-23c in his room and that does not seem AU hot.

5. How many other fans are now in use and what are their CFM and speed they are turning. And are they blowing in or out?

6. Like "mandrake" says, he can try removing the side cover and see how the temp does then. I have taken the side cover off and aimed one of those 20in by 20in box fans at the inside of the case just to try and determine what maybe the issue.

7. I am still a little in the dark as to the speed of the cpu when a capture of Hardware Monitor is taken.

8. What video cards are in use?
RGone...

EDIT:
By the way it is usually recommended to keep the CPU Temp at 70c-ish and the Package/Core Temps at about 62c-ish. Those are the temps we have most often used when helping with FX processors in this forum section.
END EDIT.

EDIT 2:
I am going to put this here since I am leaving this computer and can find it here later if I need it.
I went and looked at my air-cooliing runs with my Xigmatek Aegir cooler with two 98CFM fans on it at 4.6Ghz with both fans on full since it was running OCCT P95 Blend and my beginning temp for cpu was 32c and Max cpu temp was 55c. CPU Vcore was maxed during P95 Blend at 1.44Volts.

During that same run of OCCT P95 Blend the Package temp started at 16c and Maxed at 54c with the same 4.6Ghz and max of 1.44Vcore.

My room temp was about 78 to 80F or up to 26.7C. That 10 by 11 ft room had 3 computers running in it and it gets warm for sure.
END EDIT 2.

Last edited:
the ambient temperature is about 22-23 degrees celcius in my room. so i dont see why its at 46c
These Fx chips temperature sensors aren't accurate at idle, usually the readings are low like 8-10c which is impossible unless the ambient temps are that cool as well. Yours reading 46c is odd, though the load temps are more the concern.

Now, please re read the post where we asked questions, answering those will help us better help you. Also trying the suggestion I made in my last post would be helpful. In addition, adding a signature, like I have at the bottom of my post, would be helpful. This way we don't have to go back to your last post to see whats in the rig, we are usually helping more then one person at a time and we get confused on who has what.

Try lowering the Cpu voltage. your only running 4ghz. That chip may run as low as 1.3v at this clock speed.

Or because you are wanting to overclock, go ahead and leave 4.0Ghz behind and go to 4.4Ghz or 4.5Ghz and then you will need that much Voltage to the cpu or close to it. But the cpu speed will be fast enough to need the Vcore that is probably too high for 4.0Ghz. Hell I never stayed at 4.0Ghz but just time enough to set at least 4.3Ghz in bios.
RGone...

Back