• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350||SaberTooth||24/7 Extreme OC All The Things

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The two things I see from your pics are temps and an already high voltage.
Have you tried just upping CPU_NB to ~1.35v ? I do find people tend to overvolt the CPU because of the IMC on theses chips. It's not so much the ram speed but it's density and CPU speed. Both require a bit more CPU_NB voltage.
I tried this approach, all the way up to 1.4v and temp/vcore was lowered a fairly insignificant amount. Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

OK I'd like to try and help you here. Do you mind?
If this where mine, and it is not.... Approach this in a different manor.
That's what I'm here for! Thanks for the fresh perspective. I know you're knowledgeable with these chips, and appreciate any suggestions you have regarding getting "the most" out of mine.

I agree with ShrimpBrime about cutting the top out of the case and mounting the rad and fans outside. That's what I've done on my main ring. It has allowed me to use more powerful 120x38mm fans because clearance to the edge of the motherboard is no longer an issue. Plus, it tremendously relieved congestion in the interior of the case. Things are much easier to work on now. Plus, I just think it looks really cool, like a roots supercharger sitting on top of my computer!
An interesting Idea, I have a "thing" about confining everything within the case, but for now(aside from a spot fan here or there) my cooling setup is was it is. Unless you wanna give me that 29x360 koolance of yours ;)

Last edited:
Looks really good. spot on.

CPU VDDA is basically CPU PLL voltage. This helps with higher bus clocks in some cases. Doesn't look like you need it at this time. However if you where to push 275 and 300 bus clocks, it may require a tad extra here. Also at 275 and 300 clocks, you'll have that 1000mhz memory divider available. So 16.5 x 300 is going to put you at 4950mhz. I've had many FX chips very stable like this. Just remember to keep that NB and HT low.

Down in my sig there is how I set up 1200mhz. No reference overclocking either. 200 bus clocks only. Again using only 1.68750 memory voltage.

Any stability with all current settings and 20x multi? Or does that CPU want more volts?

#1 FX cpu lesson is this. The cooler the cpu runs, the less voltage may be required to overclock. The hotter it runs, the worse it gets. Overclocking even without adding voltage creates more heats. you'd look at a transistor in motion basically without added lubrication (cooling) it's creating a friction and in turn heat. You always get more power from a cold engine. Same rule applies to processors. That old saying.... "can't cool it, can't clock it."

Dustin, I gotta say.... Your doing rather well with your rig. I couldn't run these clocks without a minimum of 120.4 radiator!! Dang 9590 just pours heat.

What I was referring to was the last pic in your original set. @ 5100 your package temp was hitting 61°, that's about the end of your cooling. I see now at 4800 your temp is much lower. It's just as S_B said in the first post. More cooling = more speed. So what I was saying was unless you get the v-core down or improve the cooling you won't be going much past that 5100 I saw initially as a 24/7 stable OC that is.

Well, here's where I'm at today. Tried hitting 4950@both 275&300. With fsb swinging up, and max core clocks near 5ghz, I couldn't get it stable with less than ~1.56v. Upping VDDA did nothing to reduce fsb swing. Now that I think about it, I guess I could have tried 274/299. Damn module 4 just always wants more juice, and one of those 2 cores always drops out first! I also noticed that looser timings kept core temp from shooting up so quick, and allowed my fans a chance to kick in based on socket temps. And since I couldn't get ram timings any tighter @ 1866, I decided to push the clock up. I also removed AI suite, got tired of it messing with fan response time and was only using it to monitor vrm temps anyways.

Nicely done Dustin.

Could you kindly post the voltage specs you are using for all peripherals?

Many thanks!

So you are running these specs with pretty much stock cpu/nb voltage stock chipset voltage and perhaps a slight ov on the memory.

I often wondered why everyone would hammer on their IMC as if it where necessary.

Chipset or NB speed if it gives you trouble, use the lower divider. It can create problems at high frequency.

Looks good. Really it does! Even the cpu voltage isnt terrible. Nice memory tweakage too!

Decent set up here. Time to game!

So you are running these specs with pretty much stock cpu/nb voltage stock chipset voltage and perhaps a slight ov on the memory.

I often wondered why everyone would hammer on their IMC as if it where necessary.

Chipset or NB speed if it gives you trouble, use the lower divider. It can create problems at high frequency.

Looks good. Really it does! Even the cpu voltage isnt terrible. Nice memory tweakage too!

Decent set up here. Time to game!

Oh, I don't game much, might have to bust out some DoDSource though. Just like to spin my wheels really fast.

I dont either. Would like to, but no time! Doin metro and hawken.

Did a little tweaking too. Sig settings 1222mhz right now. Stable as could be. Even testing sleep mode and wake up. No issues found. Mixed memory both tested seperately for these speeds and timing settings. 2x2 Patriot Viper 1000mhz and 4x2 corsair 1066mhz. Stock cpu/nb voltage as well as chipset and ht. No ss atm wont be home for about. 11.5 hours.

that does look good, you can lower things like power phase control and response control, having these at the higher end, on water can make us a little unstable and add a bit of heat.
I have never found a time when cpu/nb or ht over 2600 did me any good and have found that ht gives me nothing at all so 2000 has been good for me.

10 / 2246 = 0.0045 X 1000 = 4.5ns access time on your RAM.
Not bad :thup:

7 / 1642 = 0.0042 X 1000 = 4.2ns access time on my RAM.
Barely any difference. You'd never know it but you have more bandwidth than me.

Try tightening that RAM now. Hit the DRAM voltage up to 1.75V. Might get lucky.

10 / 2246 = 0.0045 X 1000 = 4.5ns access time on your RAM.
Not bad :thup:

7 / 1642 = 0.0042 X 1000 = 4.2ns access time on my RAM.
Barely any difference. You'd never know it but you have more bandwidth than me.

Try tightening that RAM now. Hit the DRAM voltage up to 1.75V. Might get lucky.

Did I do good? I don't think I can get them any tighter without more voltage, I hear you like to pump crazy amounts of voltage through your gear and I'm not sure about 1.75v 24/7 I'm gnna play with the ram a bit more before I call it good still though. What does tightening tRAS and tRC do?

Last edited:
Did I do good? I don't think I can get them any tighter without more voltage, I hear you like to pump crazy amounts of voltage through your gear and I'm not sure about 1.75v 24/7 I'm gnna play with the ram a bit more before I call it good still though.
Oh? Where'd ya hear that? :D

I've ran 1.72v on the RAM 24/7 before. It was on my red G.Skill RipjawsX. That was on my i5 2300. Got 12-12-12 2400 out of if IIRC. Instantly corrupted the OS though.

Bumping volts a bit might get you a few more Mhz but unless it's like 100Mhz more it's not worth it. you did good dialing that RAM as it is :thup:

Looser for more stability and less voltage. Tighter for better PiMod scores.

Look at comparison for DDR3 vs DDR4. 4 is looser timings, larger bandwidth and less voltage.

Can find ripjaws Cas 15 at 1066mhz ddr4 while ddr3 can do the same bandwidth or frequency at Cas 9. The difference between these two sets would be the DDR4 able to run onyl 1.2v at this frequency.

So any 1200mhz ddr3 at Cas 12 would be good to go.

Ultimately bandwidth prevails. Timings being too tight makes problems. Could keep them loose as wanted and increase frequency.

Here's you go fellas. 16GB 2400mhz MEM HT and NB.

Runs pretty nicely. It's air cooled so excuse the lower clocks on that FX chip there lol.

HT NB MEM 2400mhz.png

shrimpy and trents are right, you would be amazed if you added up all the area of fan case grids and see just how much air it stops from exhausting heat, imo when going for the bigger overclocks, cooling is so major to have right, when you know you have the right cooling for what you want to do then you can play

myfx-4130 with my asrock 970 pro 3 with a evo 212 cooler in my original antec case was running stable at 4.9 for 9 mths, then i bought the antec darkfleet85 and had it in that, i only took it out to bench it, now ive got the asrock 890 fx deluxe 3 with a 980 be in it $ 4 gig, i dont need anymore than that but i know itll do it if i want to, ive got the coolermaster V8 cooler on it now as i got 1-2 c better temps than the evo

Last edited:
Back