• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8370 cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steroid

Registered
Hello everyone,

I recently upgrade my system, and got the FX8370 (wanted to get the 8350 but it went out of stock everywhere here) and also a Deepcool Captain 360 cooler. All was good until I found out how noisy it was now to a point it's annoying me.
I also can't even put in the 140mm fan that was included with my case at the back (NZXT Noctis 450) because of it's pipes.
The temps are good, a lot of heat coming out of the case which is good and annoying. Just the noise. If I tone down the fans half way when I started a game, Lords of the Fallen for example (horrible game btw) it would out tab when I got in the game and wouldn't let me play until I increase the speed of the fans again.
So I'm contemplating on getting rid of it and getting a Noctua NH-U14S or Noctua NH-D15, I read good things about these coolers just wanted to double check if anyone that has them with an FX CPU is happy and if they are loud.

Thank you

Looks like that AIO is a decent cooler but even the reviews said the fans are quite loud. Another option would be to replace the fans for somethng quieter or better performance. I'm no fan guru but I do know the difference can be night and day. One other option would be to reduce the number of cores which will reduce the heat produced. Quick reading suggested that anything over 4 cores really didn't give that much more performance. Sounds like that Lords of the fallen is quite hard on the CPU since it qui on you because of temps I'm assuming. There are still other options depending on whether or not you have Overclocked. If you are running it all stock then the board could be overvolting the CPU as well causing excessive heat.

Everything is running at stock, I have not OC'd. It's primarily for gaming.
I'm using a ASRock 970A-G/3.1 motherboard and the GPU is the Sapphire R9 390 Nitro. I'm not sure if the board is overvolting the CPU tbh, did not think of that, I have HWMonitor running on my third monitor all the time I will keep an on it today when I get home. Any tips on what the voltage should be at?
Tbh if I have to throw more money for extra fans I'd rather try and get rid of it then and just get an air cooler since I don't see a point to OC. I had the Hyper 212 EVO with my old FX-6300 that was not loud to a point it would annoy me, perhaps I should have at least tested it with it to see the temps before I got rid of it. I did read up on the NH D15 and saw some videos with noise tests and that seemed that it could also get pretty loud too.

The Evo is near dead silent with the stock fans and the D15 I can only hear very light buzzing at 100%, but my case has sound dampening, so YMMV. My GPU is much much worse when it kicks off ;) Johan is very right though, could be a simple case of overvolting if everything is on auto. If memory serves stock would be around 1.25v-1.3v.

Yeah I also can't recall of the Evo being loud at all and I've had that cooler twice for 2 of my previous builds. If I bring down the fans to 50% the noise is bearable but again it doesn't seem to like them being that low under pressure. Thanks :) I will keep out for the voltage today and see what it's at.

Update, here is stats from the CPUID HWMonitor and AXTU. I think you're right that it's overvolting it as the max is going to is 1.4V+
So I should tone it down a bit? :) Also should I turn off the Cool N' Quiet (not OC'ing)?
hwmonitor.jpg axtu.jpg

Last edited:
Update: found the problem, it was the APM and the Turbo Core. Silly me not thinking of it earlier.
I do have final question, so I actually found a tiny space to move the radiator to the right and managed to squeeze the back fan finally to use and push some air out, however the pipes are soooo close to it, now the fins are not hitting them. The fan is secured and not vibrating, however the second pipe is resting on the edge of the fan and I'm just worried that by some miracle the fan vibrates slowly without me noticing it and eventually slowly move out the pipe eventually. I know that's unlikely but that's just how I am lol. I am not sure if anyone has run into this when setting up water coolers (now I know I should have not gone with the 360mm radiator or at least not this case)
I've attached some pics.
20160422_024217.jpg 20160422_024222.jpg 20160422_024227.jpg 20160422_024233.jpg 20160422_025140.jpg 20160422_025146.jpg 20160422_025151.jpg 20160422_025156.jpg 20160422_025207.jpg

Update: found the problem, it was the APM and the Turbo Core. Silly me not thinking of it earlier.
I do have final question, so I actually found a tiny space to move the radiator to the right and managed to squeeze the back fan finally to use and push some air out, however the pipes are soooo close to it, now the fins are not hitting them. The fan is secured and not vibrating, however the second pipe is resting on the edge of the fan and I'm just worried that by some miracle the fan vibrates slowly without me noticing it and eventually slowly move out the pipe eventually. I know that's unlikely but that's just how I am lol. I am not sure if anyone has run into this when setting up water coolers (now I know I should have not gone with the 360mm radiator or at least not this case)
I've attached some pics.
View attachment 178361

From your nice picture :) If you are worried about the back fan hitting that tube in someway. It may not look pretty but it will get the job done :) Take a ZIP TIE and secure the tube to the screw directly in front of it. It does not have to be SUPERMAN tight but it will pull the tube away from the back fan and give you some additional clearance. :thup:

Thank you for the tip :) didn't think of that tbh, just hope that it won't pull the tube out :p
This fan is 30mm thick, and I can only find 25mm thick fans here so not much difference. Might just get one for the extra 5mm and zip tie the tube.
Now just to figure out why the bios is showing the case fans as N/A even though all are spinning :D

Thank you for the tip :) didn't think of that tbh, just hope that it won't pull the tube out :p
This fan is 30mm thick, and I can only find 25mm thick fans here so not much difference. Might just get one for the extra 5mm and zip tie the tube.
Now just to figure out why the bios is showing the case fans as N/A even though all are spinning :D

Check the BIOS for a setting to turn on and off monitoring of the fans. :)

Check the BIOS for a setting to turn on and off monitoring of the fans. :)

I am not able to check now but when I get home I will. It should be on, because I remember it showing the RMP for one of the CPU fans, its also weird as it shows 2 CPU Fans when I have 3. The case fans are 4 and it shows them all there but with N/A. I will double check however when I get home. Also I can control the CPU fans from the utility but not the case fans which also weird. Also possibility that I have connected something wrong initially as I re-did this all last night at 4AM lol, even though they all spin.

Back