• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game registry question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I want to make a emergency backup copy of a few of my games such as battlefield 2, wow, and a few others.

My friend to do this.

Copy the game folder onto a dvd or something.
Then go to regedit and search for world of warcraft or battlefield 2.
export any keys you find.
save them and place htem on the dvd too.

incase anything happens to your hd. place the folder of the game you copied onto the hardrive and then run each key. after you try to run each key it will ask you if you want to merge it to the rest of the registry. click yes.

and your done. and your game should work.

is this correcT?

I don't know.... I doubt it would work and I don't think it would really take that much less time than just installing the game fresh.

It could work, but for something like BF2 I doubt it. Games dump registry keys all over the place, so a simple string search probably wouldn't turn up all of them. Also, some games install various other programs alongside it (such as copy protection stuff) and the game won't run without them installed. You could try it, but like aeiou said, reinstalling would probably be faster.

JigPu

Back