• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games drive(s) in RAID-0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Not sure if you guyz remember I picked up a pair of WD Reds 3TB and decided to raid them for my games drive. Connected them to the ASMedia ports on the board and created the array via software raid in windows. Moved closed to 2TB worth of games from my Toshiba Red 2Tb drive over to the new array and evrything went smoothly. All my games (Steam, Origin and Uplay) worked just fine for several weeks....up until earlier today.

Decided to see how low of vcore I can run @ 5.0Ghz which I was already @ 1.29v. Then upon reboot all hell breaks loose. I lost my games drive. It just freaking disappeared like vanished :eek:. I go into bios and my WD Reds are there, but in windows they aren't coming up no matter how many times I rebooted. So I had to resort a last ditch effort to swap the drives away from the ASMedia ports and into the Intel ports. I knew once I recreate the array Imma lose all my games. Sure enough they were gone :mad:

So recreated the array using the intel ports and had to reconnect the rest of my other drives so they'll be in order. Dam rewiring took me a bit of time but it's all done. Now tomorrow the fun of re-downloading and reinstalling all my games :rain:

I'm still wondering what the hell happend that my drives just vanished and I couldn't bring them back. Could it be the ASMedia controller barfed? Drives themselves are in perfect working order.

Welcome to RAID. I wouldnt touch it with your PC and [insert name here] pushing, lol! Id rather save my pennies for a larger ssd, and/or just not install every damn game i have. I have a backup of installed games on a spinner, when i need to play something which isnt installed, the recovery is just a few/several minutes from steam/origin.

Should have been on the Intel controller anyway most likely...so it worked out. :)

Sorry all your games were blown away...as far as what happenend, perhaps instability borked the array.

Lmao, yeah I know what RAID is all too well. Ever since I got a taste with a pair of 200gigers and a Highpoint RocketRaid pci card I fell in love with it. Didn't think ASMedia would bork the array tho. Guess I'll have to back-up to the 2tb Toshiba. Would love a larger Hybrid drive for my games. Looks like penny saving time ;)

It may have done it on the intel controller too. Instability generally doesnt discriminate controllers.

I agree. I've had arrays get borked in the past when I ran the PCI/FSB over spec and corrupted the array. I'm thinking this time the array got borked on account of instability (overclocked or underclocked), but in this instance lack of voltage :-/

Instability is instability no matter how it happens, right ;)

Back