• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC rig upgrade, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alex_2033

Hi everybody!!,

I'm a frequent visitor of this awesome site but I hadn't had the opportunity to register until today that I was looking for some advice.

Last year I build my current PC rig and I'm more than happy with it. Now Christmas is coming and I'm planning on spend some cash on one upgrade. I want to get the right upgrade and the one that has the most benefit for my rig, which is mainly used for gaming. Here are my specs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte 8800GM-UD2H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128439

CPU:
AMD Phenom x6 1090T overclocked at 3.8ghz ~1.376v
Northbridge Clock overclocked at 2.6 Mhz

Cooler:
Cooler Master TX3 with two fans in push/pull config

Video Card:
ECS Geforce GTX 480 overclocked:
Graphics Clock - 700 Mhz
Memory - 1848 Mhz
Processors Clock - 1401 Mhz

PSU
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w

RAM
4GB DDR3-1333 ADATA Gaming Series 7-7-7-20 (2T command rate)

Internal Hard Drive (have it since 2007 build)
Seagate 7200 RPM, SATA II, 160GB

External Hard Drive
Iomega Home Media Nework Cloud Edition 1 TB

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Case (have it since 2007 build)
Acteck Nitrox with 3 Cooler Master 120mm fans (1 rear exhaust, 1 side panel intake, 1 front intake). Also I have one 80mm top exhaust
Here's a link with pictures of the retail version of the case
http://www.pcenlinea.com/mp/56887.html

Monitor
SyncMaster PX2370 LED Full HD

Speakers
Creative 5.1

Mouse
Razer Gaming Mouse Krait - 1600 DPI. 3 buttons

Keyboard
Perfectchoice Multimedia Hub USB

Optic Drive
LG Blu Ray Rewriter

So, this is my current rig. And as for games it behaves really well, I play Crysis 2 with an average I'd say of 45 fps (30fps low and 60fps high), Metro 2033 behaves the same... COD BO, Dead Space, MOH, WOW, Batman Arkham stays at 60 fps. (settings maxed out)... So for my gaming experience I'm very pleased.

So what do you guys think for the next upgrade? I was thinking of getting one of those SSD and use it for the OS and some games, but my GTX 480 left me with no more Sata connectors (it sits right on top of them only leaving room for two which I have my HD and Blu Ray connected to). And also my Mobo doesn't support SATA III.

Maybe a better cooler? My temps are fine the CPU never goes past 54°c (being 62°c the maximum safe according to AMD). Also I think I don't have room in my case for a taller cooler, the TX3 and the side panel 120mm are very close to each other.

Case? Yes I have on my mind the Corsair Graphite Series 600T.. But do you think is worth it at this time considering my Micro ATX Mobo?

Mobo?
I don't have PCI slots left (GTX 480 occupies 2 and the other one is for the sound card) an also no more SATA II connectors (reason stated on video card spec), so I'm only left with the PCIe-x1. No USB 3 and No SATA III

Maybe I was thinking on getting thouse PCIe-x1 USB 3 cards or a TV Tuner also PCIe-x1, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

So, thank you very much for any suggestions you might have. I really would like some of your input... One last thing, sorry for my English my main language is Spanish...

Once again, thank you and let's see what u think.... Regards!!

I forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.

Regards,

your rig is pretty good if you ask me. the motherboard is limiting your upgrade choices at the moment i guess. personally i would upgrade your motherboard. You may not get much of a performance improvement now but you may open up your options for future upgrades. maybe get a newer 990X series, preferably an atx one. usb 3.0, sata 3, more sata slots for possible ssd, support for one of the newer bulldozer processors (amd really needs to release them if you ask me), and sli if those 480's ever go down in price.

By the way, your english isn't half bad. buena suerte y que la pases bien

your rig is pretty good if you ask me. the motherboard is limiting your upgrade choices at the moment i guess. personally i would upgrade your motherboard. You may not get much of a performance improvement now but you may open up your options for future upgrades. maybe get a newer 990X series, preferably an atx one. usb 3.0, sata 3, more sata slots for possible ssd, support for one of the newer bulldozer processors (amd really needs to release them if you ask me), and sli if those 480's ever go down in price.

By the way, your english isn't half bad. buena suerte y que la pases bien

:welcome: to Overclockers!

I'll agree with this. get a 970 or 990 motherboard, and since you have to anyway, get a new copy of windows, 64-bit this time.

Back