• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway software audio problem on XP x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Hello.

I have a new laptop, a Gateway P-7811FX with Vista Home Prem x64 installed.

Lappy specs: Bestbuy info and Gateway website info

I added a new hard-drive (Seagate Momentum 7200.3 320gb sata 3.0) and installed XP pro x64 on it. No problems. Install was smooth.

A common problem with "downgrading" this laptop is the audio drivers. I honestly dont understand the intricacies of it all but it uses a software sound setup with Conexant HD Smartaudio 221. There are numerous posts on notebook hardware forums about how to get this device to be recognized and work with XP x86, but none of the workaround work with XP x64. Here is the direct link to notebook hardware forums workaround for XP x86, most of which is over my head (im more of a hardware guy :p) http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=3871519&postcount=178

Firstly, it seems that a microsoft KB hotifx (link to KB888111) is needed on XP X86 to first even recognize the audio devices. This a hotfix for Universal Audio Architecture. This hotfix will not install on XP x64 at all. I googled for an XP x64 version of this hotfix and found one (will link later - have it on favorites on another computer) but it says it cannot/will not install this hotfix on my machine since a previous Windows service pack allready covers this.

I have 3 unknown devices in my device manager. After comparing to the Vista x64 factory install device manager I come up with these 3 items being the culprits.

1. Conexant HD Smartaudio 221
2. Nvidia HDMI Audio
3. HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP

At this point, Im really only concerned about getting the sound/audio to work.

Ive tried every driver I can find that seemed even remotely close, and I cant even get XP x64 to recognize my sound device much less install a correct driver. Sometimes the drivers install and I get nothing form it. Sometimes the driver package wont even install because it says I dont have the corresponding hardware.

Any suggestions? Im sure I can overwrite my XP x64 with XP x86, but I really wanted to get the full benefit of my 4gb memory on this laptop and I honestly love XP x64. Its my favorite OS by far and would like to use it on this lappy.

Thanks again and any suggestions appreciated!

bump?

Any suggestions at all?

I know it a tough PITA problem but there has to be someone.....anyone who has any type of solution or suggestion?

Hey Russ,

This is something that caught my eye after a quick look:

"You must uninstall version 1.0 of the UAA High Definition Audio class driver before you install version 1.0a."

Do you have any other versions installed? If thats not the case then what is the error you're getting when you try to install the 1.0a package? It should install on both X86 & X64 editions of XP.

Hmm....

I dont know.

To be honest, I have tried to install so many freakn things to get it to work Im not sure whats on there LOL....

Ill take a look and see if I can hunt down version 1.0

It might be a part of a previous service pack for XP x64.

Thx Mark :)

Thx for the input Mark.

I think you very well may be on to something here!

So I did a search for KB888111 both in the windows search option, as well as in the registry via "find" and I do indeed have a KB888111. HOWEVER, it is not in the same place as it lists it should be for XP x86 in the KB888111 hotfix datasheet and instructions for removal.

Instead of being in the XP/SP3 folder, I only find it under Documents and Settings/Users/Admin/and further down that line of folders.

I cannot seem to locate it within the registry to remove it completely.

Any suggestions on how to find this exact folder in the registry so I can try this out?

Hehehe...nvm the aforementioned post....

The KB888111 which I mentioned is in my recycle bin :p

Im going to uninstall the entire SP2 on this XP x64 install and that should hopefully clear any previous versions that might be complicating things.

Do not try to remove any installed software manually!!! Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Check the 'Show Updates' check-box near the top of the window and then l;ook for the KB # for the UAA 1.0 version, then un-install it if it's there.

If you want, send me a remote assitance invite :beer:

Mark, the only reason I tried to uninstall like that with the registry editor is because that is the way the MS KB888111 article said to do it.

(taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111)

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

I may need to take you up on that remote assistance if I cant get it to work. Im hopeful that the issue isnt as UNsolvable as I think it is. I think it cant be fixed, but.....Im willing to let you try if you want to :)

(I hope Im wrong about it not being solvable)

OK well I do not have the KB888111 on the add/remove programs list, and didnt find it in my registry beforehand.

This it the KB article for the MS UAA for XP x64, and when I try to apply it it says that I allready have this update applied.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901105

Im stuck. If you wouldnt mind remotely connecting and taking a look Id love any fresh ideas or advice on how to get this to work. Id love to use Xp x64 on this computer but no audio on a gaming computer isnt really working out for me :p

Of course I still have the original Vista Home Premium x64 installed which works fine so its not like my brand new laptop is a paperweight either :p

Back