• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 7 7900 on March 9/06 (90nm G71)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When does everyone expect the G80 cards? I am due a graphics card upgrade at christmas this year... Would it be realistic to expect to be able to get one of them?

get a cpu upgrade the same time as well. Geforce 8800gtx should be due in time for xmas if theres no unforseen delays. Itll be 32 pipes, 800/2000 clocks with 512mb ram and possibily a 1GB verson. May have 48 shaders like the x1900xt. Basically think of the 8800gtx as the x1900xt times 2! Twice the pipes and higher clocks!

I have seen allusions that the 7900s were going to be priced the same or slightly less then the 7800s... however no specifics were given. I belive the article I read was linked to from Ocforums, maybe XS.

Anyway, the last I heard is that they had so much trouble shrinking the core that they have not had time to improve it over the 7800. Pretty much stock in trade marketting though. They develop a base for future products while basically repackagin the old.

As for prices. They prolly will be cheap but places like newegg will jack up the price a bit to make some money on the demand. I am hoping for a surge of 7800s on the market so I can get my SLI rig up to par :)

So come on people buy the 7900 its uber l33t goodness :) :lol:

"OC550.... Sources for your posts?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you must be new on the block, OCC550 makes up his own predictions most of the time, you might call him the local speculation hore (sic, on purpose) ad infinitum...............

i will leave it at that...

baldy

Dan0512 said:
I heard it's just a shrunk 7800 die, no extra pipes or ROPs or whatever. If that's the case, then the performance should be very close to that of the x1900xtx..

dan

*source*

HERE

One more question, who produces Nvidias chips?

dan

Overclocker550 said:
get a cpu upgrade the same time as well. Geforce 8800gtx should be due in time for xmas if theres no unforseen delays. Itll be 32 pipes, 800/2000 clocks with 512mb ram and possibily a 1GB verson. May have 48 shaders like the x1900xt. Basically think of the 8800gtx as the x1900xt times 2! Twice the pipes and higher clocks!
Ya were did u get ur info, im getin this beast :D

Overclocker550 said:

Sounds like this is a $1200 vid card /w 1G memory... heh heh.....

Man... wasn't it too long ago that the most expensive vid card is $400......??? Now a $400 card is considered midrange.......

A lot of this thread seems to be pure speculation - other than the facts that have been laid out already. The whole G80/GeForce 8800 etc is just that - speculation, with no sources or anything to back it up.

Personally, the 7900 seems to me like little more than a speedbumped-through-die-shrink 7800 range. I'm waiting for the 7600's anyway....

well, until 8800 series is released, ATI is still king of the hill. But I'm sure ATI will come up with something later to challenge Nvidia. Hopefully, its not going to be super expensive to buy these cards.

Last edited:
Kenshiro said:
well, until 8800 series is released, ATI is still king of the hill. But I'm sure ATI will come up with something later to challenge Nvidia. Hopefully, its not going to be super expensive to buy these cards.

They will always go back and forth unless one of the companies stumbles so hard they can't pick themselves up.

These cards will always be uber-expensive as long as they use the highest-end ram available, and lots of it.

Voodoo Rufus said:
They will always go back and forth unless one of the companies stumbles so hard they can't pick themselves up.

These cards will always be uber-expensive as long as they use the highest-end ram available, and lots of it.

Will the New 7900 512 be better than the ATI?

No they wont. Any DX10 software will be forced to either tap into DX9, or run through DX9 via a software layer (= higher CPU usage).

Back