• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 7 7900 on March 9/06 (90nm G71)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RedDragon, I was gonna say... the 7600gt would spank the 6800gs, but not if it's 128-bit, lol.

Btw, how did you obtain that spec sheet?

Well they will come close to each other cause of 7600GT's monster clocks, but 6800GS will have the edge since it's 256bit card. If 7600GT was 256bit with those clocks it would spank not only 6800GS but 7800GT and even come on par with 7800GTX. Margin between pixel pipes/vertex shaders vs core/RAM clocks is big.

I think that Nvidia sole purpose behind this (G73) is just to give us a sneak peak of what's to come in the future in terms of core clocks; cough, cough...G80, cough. Excuse me had to clear my throat :p

That and once again they will dominate the value market with it cause it performs better the ATI's counterpart x1600 and even comes close to x1800XL.

Oh and I got that sheet from my second most favorite site: Guru3D

The results are not what I expected at all. I must say I am definitely happy with my X1900XT purchase. From a business standpoint, Nvidia made the move of levelling out the competition with ATI by creating an almost identical competitor the 7900GTX, having a slight edge in high resolution performance. It seems that all of these reviews are hesitant to release more 3dmark05 and 3dmark06 scores. Could it be that ATI has the lead in the benchmark category.

I must say though, I was considering purchasing the GTX if a sizable performance gain was realized over the X1900. It wasnt, at least from the results presented thus far.

Dom

dominick32 said:
The results are not what I expected at all. I must say I am definitely happy with my X1900XT purchase. From a business standpoint, Nvidia made the move of levelling out the competition with ATI by creating an almost identical competitor the 7900GTX, having a slight edge in high resolution performance. It seems that all of these reviews are hesitant to release more 3dmark05 and 2dmark06 scores. Could it be that ATI has the lead in the benchmark category.

I must say though, I was considering purchasing the GTX if a sizable performance gain was realized over the X1900. It wasnt, at least from the results presented thus far.

Dom
Not at all... here's 3dmark06... the 7900 is in direct competetion with the 1900 if you ask me:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/310/11/

looks like a good card, now if I sat them side by side and played the same games on the same screen which one would have better IQ ? I would probably say x1900 since there's no diff between 7800/7900 features.

OPP over at XS has one voltmodded. He seems to think they're gonna overclock really well. Could get interesting.

It definitely does look like a good card, just not as powerful as many made predictions about a couple of weeks ago. 32 pipes and 13,000 3dmarks stock. We had all sorts of false hype going around. I found myself believing most of the hype and I guess thats why I am a bit dissapointed with current results. Like I said before, in a business sense they had a great idea: Level the playing field in the mean time until the next gen stuff comes out.

Dom

woot, im love'n life right now (with my X1900 XTX) :attn:

im glad to see "some" pricing sanity being brought back to the high-end card market :thup:

it should be interesting to see how the 7900's clock under EXTREME cooling...
the x1900's dont seem to have a cold bug (El'Maxi D-Ice tested one @ -50c)

So the 7900GT uses is a 7800gtx with just faster ram and smaller core... that's probably why the gpu cooler is so much smaller on a 7900gt than a 7800gtx.

Meaning, the 7900GT OC is most likely gonna beat the crap out of a 7900gtx OCed... just an observation... the 7800gtx has got to drop in price immensily.

My guess is that the 7800gtx may stay at the higher price cuz people that aren't computer savvy will buy it for a little...

It's so funny watching the pricing. I think I've mastered the video card market. It's a good thing to watch how the PC market works. It's like stocks!!! I unloaded my 7800gt so fast a few days ago... cuz I knew this was gonna happen.

g0dM@n said:
So the 7900GT uses is a 7800gtx with just faster ram and smaller core... that's probably why the gpu cooler is so much smaller on a 7900gt than a 7800gtx.

Meaning, the 7900GT OC is most likely gonna beat the crap out of a 7900gtx OCed... just an observation... the 7800gtx has got to drop in price immensily.

My guess is that the 7800gtx may stay at the higher price cuz people that aren't computer savvy will buy it for a little...

It's so funny watching the pricing. I think I've mastered the video card market. It's a good thing to watch how the PC market works. It's like stocks!!! I unloaded my 7800gt so fast a few days ago... cuz I knew this was gonna happen.

yep it is interesting to say the least it is all TIMING, these companies risk it all on timing it seems and it comes right down to us, whats thet expression **** flows downhill?

Well, you just gotta keep up with the hype...

I usually unload quick before the upgrades, depending on how much reading I've been doing. The people who get screwed the most are the 7800gtx owners... although, they probably saw it comin...

Prices ain't all that bad. Just between $20 - $50 above the suggested retail. Probably because ATI is lowering down the prices of their X1900 series cards.

Back