• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce Now Beta Testing is pretty sweet!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Very amazing technology! I am on a Lenovo IdeaPad 300 with cruddy Intel onboard graphics. I signed up for Geforce Now Beta Testing and they gave it to me. I have been kicking the Geforce tires and I am very impressed. Geforce Now is done through my internet to Nvidia servers with Geforce 1080 graphics hardware at the server site. My crudy little laptop is now a awesome gaming machine:D

I just bought Fallout 4 and am able to play on Ultra settings, but my laptop resolution only goes up to 1600x900. At these settings I am at a solid 60FPS in FRAPS. Screenshots to follow.....

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to play Fallout 4 on my laptop through my steam account and it auto-detected my hardware and placed the settings on low. I was getting 11fps with my laptop in Fallout 4...very unplayable. I hopw when they release Geforce Now to the public that it will be affordable. I have seen a price range from $7 to $25 per month for a subscription.

Attachments

• GeForceNOWStreamer 2018-03-17 18-46-17-43 (Medium).png
    GeForceNOWStreamer 2018-03-17 18-46-17-43 (Medium).png
    152.9 KB · Views: 449
  • GeForceNOWStreamer 2018-03-18 20-15-17-09 (Medium).png
    GeForceNOWStreamer 2018-03-18 20-15-17-09 (Medium).png
    398.2 KB · Views: 428
My laptop specs.....

Attachments

• laptop specs.png
    laptop specs.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
My ISP is Comcast and I have 60Mbps download speeds. But at times in the afternoon it dips down to 25Mbps, when everyone is home from work and the neighborhood network hub is saturated. I do get some graphical glitches and lower FPS in-game such as 30-45fps, but the game is still playable. Its like butter when my FPS is at a solid 60fps.

Just thought I would share,

yea I was wondering this too, the response time for your inputs must be affected but by how much.

my guess is not much seeing how your on that fat pipe along i5 but still...

yea I was wondering this too, the response time for your inputs must be affected but by how much.

my guess is not much seeing how your on that fat pipe along i5 but still...

Thats a good point, the i5 probably helps matters. But its mostly bandwidth that makes the magic happen. I dont know how they do it...kinda like alien technology...LOL!!

So lag isn't an issue with that setup? I would have thought FPS games would be a problem with all that back and forth.

It is an issue when my comcast node/hub is blitzed by everyone in my neighborhood on it at the same time. But...whne my bandwidth is the advertised 60Mbs its is flawless and smooth with all eye candy turned on.

So you're basically sending control inputs, Nvidia server renders graphics and sends you back a 'movie stream'?

So you're basically sending control inputs, Nvidia server renders graphics and sends you back a 'movie stream'?

Never thought about it that way, but yeah. I cannot tell any difference on my end. It looks and feels like I have a GTX 1080 in my laptop that refreshes the graphical image 60fps on my laptop screen.

Alas, the end of the beginning is here. It's time for overcockers to unite and fight. Cloud has arrived. Future looks grim

Interesting. Was curious how cloud play would work. Subbing to hear more experiences.

Wondering how it all copes with latency? I mean you have to send the inputs through internet, they have to receive and render, only then they send you the frames.

I can't imagine there isn't noticeable input lag... I mean hell, most people notice it with Vsync on... I can't imagine the latency is lower through the web...

But the question we all want answered-will people find a way to mine with the system? I'm not being facetious, I'm willing to bet someone is working on that angle now. In the (relatively) small controlled environment of Nvidia's servers it's easily controlled, but what if the tech takes off and little graphics businesses spring up from the fertile minds of entrepreneurs? Guys who just want a steady income from subscriptions to their graphics farms? Or is this the solution Nvidia came up with to keep the money flowing from the miners and try appeasing the gamers at the same time?

You know what would bhe funny, fps bogging when too many miners online. :rofl: there goes that steady 60fps

Sorry not getting this so..

Is this a software that some how gets older pcs to run games they normally can't ?

or

Is it some sort of remote desktop connection to a PC that can already run high end games greater than that or the PC/Laptop being used?

Game is being rendered on main GeForce server and then video feed is sent through internet to him. You need fast internet.

When he is playing a game, he is sending to them commands.

Also you send X,Y,Z coordinates for player plus commands to the server.:D With video feed you would think that the FPS would be fixed and detail would adjust according to internet speed.

Well, if you're receiving a video stream, doesn't matter how much detail is there. It technically should be up to capabilities of tendering hardware. Internet speed would dictate video compression(quality)

Well, if you're receiving a video stream, doesn't matter how much detail is there. It technically should be up to capabilities of tendering hardware. Internet speed would dictate video compression(quality)

I want 1080p video not 480p or 720p quality when I watch a game video, that is how the service should work with variable bandwidth.

Back