• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce2 MX400 or ATI Radeon 7000 for old system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK this may be a stupid question.... But I feel it never hurts to pick one's brain:beer:

OK I am re building a old Athlon 700 (Thunderbird) system to use as a secondary system to play old games and to use as a file server.
Initially I will put Windows 98se on it but plan to go to a Linux variant when I determine which one will best serve my needs....

OK so here is the Question: I have a GeForce 2 MX (64MB) AGP {EDIT:not the MX 400 as I a accidentally put in the title} card and a Radeon 7000 (32MB) PCI card. Which one would you use???:confused:
From what I remember both cards are rather equal in abilities (depending on what you are doing...)

Ive heard that ATI is not all that Linux friendly??

Any for who... Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
64MB and agp will be better but I would have think the radeon 7000 has a more powerful core.

with linux probably want to go nVidia anyway.

Older ATi cards are pretty Linux friendly nowadays so that's not really a problem.

I'd try both cards and bench them with something relevant to you...

start with the nVidia card due to the linux issue and if it doesnt cut it then try the 7000

Back