• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Crazy with Liquid HELIUM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i love these debates, wouldn't the heat from the cpu itself fracture the core, at those temps, the temp difference would be so great, and theres too many factors, some one said, to put the liquid he on a heat sink i think this would be a very safe idea and would cost a lot less, if you put a large block underneath the heatsink it would have to cool the metal first so it would gradually cool the cpu
wel thats my 2 cents good luck! :D :D

what i would do is build a heavily insulated box with two lines going into it 1 is a cu loop that goes in and bends back up with a fan neer it. the other goes streight down just above the cpu. what you do is turn on the system and start pouring liquid helium into the loop so that it will begin to chill the inside air. once you get down to close to the temp of the he you start to pour it into the chamber over the cpu this would gradualy cool the entire system then you could fill the chamber up so you have some time to work with the system while its submerged in boiling he you could pour more in as the level decreases giving you a few hours to play around

I'm not sure, but isnt liquid n really dangerous? Like you cant let it touch your skin, etc? Just heard that somewhere... so it seems sorta dangerous, esp with helium at 4K.

And im really wondering what those scientists are doint to get so close to absolute zero... I mean everything makes heat, so you cant have no heat, right? And how would you in case something in non-matter? And what would happen - would the thing just disappear or spontaneously combust, lol. Also, do things lose color (turn black and white) in really low temps - heard that somewhere too - seems silly but i did hear it. It would suck if scientists did get 0K and then nothing happens and they find out that abs 0 is actually -1 k.

There is almost no way to get to absolute zero unless you in a vacuum, out in space with no light sources, and no ground to supply heat, Which is why some kind of magnetic field might work, though we probably wont ever see absolute Zero anytime soon... if ever. OH and yes in theory at absolute Zero all molcule movement ceases, they can get really close to A-zero and molcules move really slow... but with the way they do it something is always grounded to the earth which supplies some heat, any heat will stop A-zero. Zero heat is difficult to imagine.

But liquid helium... whoa... thats pretty nutz... is there a better way to use the LH without having to submerge the system...? you wouldnt even need a HS obviously... if u were gonna submerge it... I had to add to this since it is so thought stimulating.

0K (absolute zero) even in a magnetic "bottle" would still be impossible to reach IMO (not to say that my oppinion is reality!). This is because even if you suspend an object so that it is touching nothing, and no light can get to it, you will still have to prevent other frequencies electromagnetic radiaition from getting to it. If some energy managed to come in contact with the molecules, they would HAVE to accept the energy (at least for a time) since the energy diffrence is so huge. And by placing it in a magnetic bottle, you'd be subjecting it to all kinds of EM radiation I think. So, I don't think that even THAT drastic a measure would work.

Though, it works in getting really HIGH tempuratures (Fusion temps). :D
JigPu

A question: how exactly would you maintain liquid <natural form is gas>? Wouldnt it boil? Didnt read any articles on this..

In a sense, liquified gases would *like* to boil when you leave them sitting around in open air containers. They can't just boil off, though, due to a nice little property sometimes called latent heat of vaporization.

Liquid helium, for example, will sit there at its boiling point of 4.22K (about -269C). It can't increase in temperature without becoming a gas, but it can't become a gas without receiving an influx of heat of 83 joules/mole. As the helium gains heat from the air, it evaporatively cools itself.

If you apply more heat-- like a 40W CPU-- then the helium will boil, cleverly taking the heat with it and maintaining the roughly 4K temperature. Unfortunately, you'd chew through your helium pretty quick at that rate-- call it 10 cubic cm/s.

I... guess... you could construct a phase-change system using helium as the refrigerant to pump heat out of the system. Such a rig-up would be exceedingly bada** from an engineering standpoint alone. Even, dare I say: cool.

ok on the absolute zero thing. yes all movement stops at absolute zero.ALL MOVEMENT. we cannot reac absolute zero however do to the fact of what are we going to use to get it the er let alone like someone else above said what to contain it in. well if all movement stops at absolute zero our cooler would stop most likely before it got there. there for u see that this would create such a problem thatit may not be worth the effort. and btw i think it is one of those things we just arent supposed to figure out for quite a while...

ok the way scientists get things close to absolute zero is refered to as BEC which is B----(cant remember his name) Einstein Condensation. they take a gas with a moderate density and encase it in a magnetic field and blast the molecules with lazers from thousands of directions at once in order to nudge it since they are moving it in so many directions at once it begins to slow down in essence becoming colder they have done it a few times down to a fraction of a degree Kelvin. thought i explain that since i saw a few people asking questions about how they do it.

You people are talking like he's actually trying to reach absolute zero. He's not.

A helium refrigerated phase-change cooler would oh-so-definitely require several other phase-change coolers in a 'cascade' arrangement to bridge the temperature gap up to ambient. I mean, really-- when the highest temp in the loop is somewhere in the double digits Kelvin... that's one seriously cold condenser coil.

But with the right refrigerants and enough cooling stages, there's only one reason why you might not be able to chill liquid helium with fairly normal phase-change technology. I don't know about such things in detail, but I'd be mighty worried about the strength of materials at temps as low as 4K.

One might also worry about motors to drive the compressors functioning at such temps, but you could locate a motor in a more temperate zone and drive the actual compressor by shaft-- but that will also only work if you find a material strong enough at... pretty darn cold... to transmit the power. I estimate "pretty darn cold" because the temp at the compressor would no doubt be higher than 4K... but still really cold.

Now you've gotten me all stoked on this notion. We have to try modding some motherboards to move anything electrolytic elsewhere, so that the board *might* be able to survive a super-mega-deep-freeze. Unless we can think of anything else geeky to do with a fridge that will go to 4K. There must be something, and the Geek Quotient for having a gizmo like that would be inversely propotional to the temperature.

Stagger said:
You people are talking like he's actually trying to reach absolute zero. He's not.

No kidding... :p
He probably wont even use helium....

A helium refrigeration system would need an ln2 system cooling its condenser, not sure what kind of compressors they use for the helium loop, but it would be a kickass compressor.

Oh the compressor shouldnt be the temp of the evap, much like an average refrigeration system....You would get liquid returning, and you dont want that....

This is a really cool idea, and i love this debate.
Let me get some things strait:
If the processor was a super-conductor it would produce no heat?
Can't you be a superconductor w/o being at 0K?
Could you very very slowly lower the temperature till you made the silicone a super-conductor?

Back