• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting GPU fan off...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i541222

Registered
I got the parts to replace my GPU cooler on my Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti200 card, but I can't seem to remove the one that is on there. Someone with the same card mentioned that it is not glued, so how do I go about getting it off?

There are little push pins that do through to the other side of the video card. Get some plyers, and push them together and up through to the other side, freeing the HSF

thermal pad you say... slowly twist the fan in one direction until it comes off and then use a hair dryer on low to heat the pad a little to get it off.

another thing you can do is to run 3dmark2001 for 1/2 hour, shut down the computer, and take out the card quicky and remove it. it should pop off easily.

Kato said:
another thing you can do is to run 3dmark2001 for 1/2 hour, shut down the computer, and take out the card quicky and remove it. it should pop off easily.

never thought of that.. good suggestion:)

Freezer bag method works well too. (put card in static bag, put in freezer for 20mins, pop goes the weasel)

Or the credit card method...

Take a credit card, and put under the HSF. The credit card is covering all the leads, all nice and safe. Then take a flathead screwdriver, put inbetween the HSF and the creditcard, and twist. Shazam!

I just played MOHAA for about thirty minutes and it came off really easily, thanks.

maybe someone could write up a guide or make a list and make it a sticky for all of the ways to get one off so if someone needed to know they could find all of the methods in the same place.

Back