• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Started: Updated 12/12/22

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior

Getting started.​

Old guide here.
1) Only use machines that you own or have *express* permission to use.​
2) Select a user name for yourself and obtain your passkey.​
a. Check the user stats database to see if the name you want to use is already in use.​
b. Request a Passkey.​
c. See below for more specifics.​
3) Install the Folding@Home client. During setup enter your chosen name, team number 32, and the passkey assigned to you.​
a. See below for detailed instructions for Windows.​
4) You are on the team! Post in the New Members Thread to say hello to everyone!​

Go to https://foldingathome.org/?lng=en

Find and click on the button labeled “Start Folding”.

Download the client. The Windows client will be up front and center. Alternate downloads is a smaller link for Windows, macOS, Debian/Mint/Ubuntu, Redhat/Centos/Fedora, ARM Linux/Raspberry Pi. There are also installers for Docker and vSphere.

Install the client (Windows). As of this writing, the current version is 7.6.21.

setup1.png

Next.

Setup2.png

I Agree

Setup3.png

Next

Setup4.png

Finish

Configure1.png

Select the radio button to “Set up an identity” and click “Start Folding”.

Configure2.png

Fill in the above three fields. Example below. The “Team Number” is 32. Use links to find a name and request a passkey. More specific guide to select user name below.

Configure3.png

Name: You want a unique name so that you can keep track of your progress. Using the link, type in a user name that you would like and click search. If that name is returned, it is in use. Try another. If no name is returned, then it’s yours. Enter it into the “Name” portion and fold on!

Enter your passkey once you get it from F@H.

That’s it. No flags are needed. The client will poll your hardware and determine its own settings. Generally speaking, F@H will use all resources including CPU cores and your GPUs. However, for every GPU in your system, one CPU core will be left open. A single CPU core or virtual core, is needed to feed any GPU(s) you have in your system. Again, the client will do this without any intervention on your part.

The old guide can be found here. It is a very well done guide that still has useful information. Unfortunately it aged out. Many links no longer work and some of the information no longer applies. Feel free to poke around and see what you find useful.

Attachments

• Configure1.png
    Configure1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'd like to add that the username Anonymous occupies the Name box, so be sure to clear it before entering your username. I've seen users on the list at EOCF with names like...
AnonymousJLK03F150 or JLK03F150Anonymous or AnoJLK03F150nymous :LOL: Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.

Thanks for the guide, Don!

Last edited:
Well, there still is flags but like Don said they are not needed to get started, but flags can squeeze out a few more points :)

Oh and your link to your user stats is broke.
They all seem to work for me so I can't tell what's wrong. Any further guidance?
Post magically merged:

Where were you 4 days ago Don when I was struggling to remember what all I needed to do when setting up my client 🤔😆. Haven't folded in quite some time now that crypto done for a bit I'm back in it.
I think it was your post(s) on the topic that got me to do this. Thank you for folding with the biggest small team i the land.
Post magically merged:

I'd like to add that the username Anonymous occupies the Name box, so be sure to clear it before entering your username. I've seen users on the list at EOCF with names like...
AnonymousJLK03F150 or JLK03F150Anonymous or AnoJLK03F150nymous :LOL: Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.

Thanks for the guide, Don!
I'll work on adding that in but your post as the first response will work for now. Thank you.

Hmmm that's what it says already 🤔
Post magically merged:

Something broken with my signature not showing my heat link or stats correct. Cleared it out and started new.
Post magically merged:

Maybe now lol

Last edited:
For any "NEW" or "returning" folders that are reading this tread to gain information on how to set up their Folding, I found that once I entered my passkey (Windows 11) my Points Per Day (PPD) went from about one and a half (1.5) million PPD to eight (8) million PPD.
So I emphasis getting and entering your passkey to optimize your PPD.

Last edited:
Back