• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

go with high end netbook or ordinary laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I found that after some practice i can type at around 80% speed on a mini9 keyboard.
Took a bit to learn though. The placement of the " is annoying.

Netbook? No way in hell

The asus you linked to has an Intel GMA on it so thats also out of the question.

Sony make a 15.6'' Laptop with an i3/i5 and a Nvidia GT310 in it I believe, well worth the money I'd imagine.

Last edited:
whoa! that's a nice laptop.
the alienware's too thick for me...=p
it's a beast though. i'm gonna go look for that Samsung laptop here in Melbourne now.

ok just after some searching, i can't find the Samsung r480 anywhere online :(
looks like i have to stick with the Asus k52F - which i can't find videos of on Youtube! :bang head:
must be a damn new laptop.

Netbook? No way in hell

The asus you linked to has an Intel GMA on it so thats also out of the question.

Sony make a 15.6'' Laptop with an i3/i5 and a Nvidia GT310 in it I believe, well worth the money I'd imagine.

And they also tend to charge alot more for their name, most sony laptops i have felt, or handled all felt very cheap the casing, the keys, just felt poorly made.

try $1.5k AUD here. it's crazy lol
even after converting USD-> AUD it is nearly 1.5 times more expensive.

i think i'm settling with a net book now...dad said he doesn't want to spend taht much money...
so any ideas guys? :)

i'm tossing between the HP Mini 10 and the Asus 1005HA.
i'm also open to anything else in this price range :thup:

Although Asus Netbooks tend to be higher quality, the Compaq/HP Netbooks Minis tend to be nice as well. Very Light, plenty for daily computer use. Although neither will win a race and are not really capable of high end games, they do OK for regular internet use as well as word processing and light gaming. Make sure you get one with a HDD and 2GB of RAM, either that or factor it into the cost. It cost me $59 dollars to upgrade to a 320GB HDD from the 16 GB SSD and it cost $48 dollars for 2GB of RAM. Since they both only have one RAM Slot you basically can't just add another stick, you have to remove the 1GB and install a 2GB. The SSDs are actually quite nice, however anything less than 80 GB would be counter productive. That being said, a 80+ GB would cost so much it would defeat the purpose of an inexpensive Netbook. So do yourself a favor. Find with with a 160 GB+ HDD and 2GB Otherwise Plan on another $100 dollars on immediate upgrades.

My netbook in my sig is ok. I went from a 754 socket computer with a 7600gs geforce and 1.5 gb or ram. So this is a step up.

12.1 inch dual core atom 330
2 gb of ddr2 800
nvidia ion
250 gb hd

I wanted something small portable 12.1 or smaller with a little bit of "power" for that size and something that could play some of the older games source games stuff like that.

This has been ok i will say the atom is a bit more sluggish then i expected but i like it it's decent little netbook i would argue to call it more of a notebook/netbook hybrid due to parts vs size lol.

but now that the alienware m11x i think it's called their 11.6 inch with a dual core u7300 i think it is and geforce 350 gt or whatever I want that really really bad.

Because the atom is just as i said bit to slow for my taste. But this book is able to do basicly anything somewhat fast by my standards at least lol.

Anyway i'll be saving my cash and selling this book probably in a few months here to upgrade to the alienware 11.6 inch i want.

Not sure if this helps any lol.

Although Asus Netbooks tend to be higher quality, the Compaq/HP Netbooks Minis tend to be nice as well. Very Light, plenty for daily computer use. Although neither will win a race and are not really capable of high end games, they do OK for regular internet use as well as word processing and light gaming. Make sure you get one with a HDD and 2GB of RAM, either that or factor it into the cost. It cost me $59 dollars to upgrade to a 320GB HDD from the 16 GB SSD and it cost $48 dollars for 2GB of RAM. Since they both only have one RAM Slot you basically can't just add another stick, you have to remove the 1GB and install a 2GB. The SSDs are actually quite nice, however anything less than 80 GB would be counter productive. That being said, a 80+ GB would cost so much it would defeat the purpose of an inexpensive Netbook. So do yourself a favor. Find with with a 160 GB+ HDD and 2GB Otherwise Plan on another $100 dollars on immediate upgrades.

hey, yeah i've been looking at the HP Mini series, and the Mini 210 has caught my attention. anybody have experience of this netbook?
the thinness of the netbook appeals to me the most. compared to other Asus netbooks the Mini 210 just looks way better. i think i'm leaning towards the 210 now...i keep changing my mind :p

it comes with 1GB ram which i plan to upgrade to 2gb, and the HDD size doesn't bother me. i'm not going to have much on it...just using it for school work and PDF files etc.

Back