• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good settings overclock i7 6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

Hello guys, i wonder if my settings are oke for my cpu.

I have the asus z170 gaming pro bord, and currrently i,m running at 4.6ghz.
The cooler i have is the noctua D-14.

I stress tested with speedstep and c-states disabled, after that i enabled them both and use adeptive voltage.
The settings i made is the following.

multi 46
llc level 5
voltage in bios 1.34v
cpu current capability 140%
cpu power phase control extreme.
the memory is stock 2133mhz c15 1.2v and its running at 2666mhz c15 1.25v
The rest is on auto
the temps i get when using itb/prime is between 70/75 degrees celsius i have not the best case for airflow, nzxt 440.
any tips maybe what setings can be different or to lower voltage, or going up to 4.7ghz, but for that i need 1.4v

No need for Power Phase control to be set to extreme...

temps look good where you are at.

Seems solid to me!

From ASUS : "CPU Power Phase Control can be set to Extreme to keep the number of active power phases of the CPU VRM at max for the whole time instead of powering down phases when CPU idles. This may gain a little more margin for stability when trying to achieve maximum core frequency. Alternatively, user can adopt Standard for down phase with respect to the change of the Intel PSI signal, optimized for better power saving, or define the custom down phase frequency manually. The faster the switch, the closer it is to setting CPU Power Phase Control to Extreme, just with the down phase capability."

As EarthDog said, either should work well with your overclock.

From ASUS : "CPU Power Phase Control can be set to Extreme to keep the number of active power phases of the CPU VRM at max for the whole time instead of powering down phases when CPU idles. This may gain a little more margin for stability when trying to achieve maximum core frequency. Alternatively, user can adopt Standard for down phase with respect to the change of the Intel PSI signal, optimized for better power saving, or define the custom down phase frequency manually. The faster the switch, the closer it is to setting CPU Power Phase Control to Extreme, just with the down phase capability."

As EarthDog said, either should work well with your overclock.

oke thx then i go for optimized, but i see that you are running at 4.7ghz, with almost the same cooler, what is your voltage and is that your 24/7 overclock.
What temps do you get while playing games?

My 24/7 is 4.5ghz 1.3v 55c/60c for gaming with fans 30%-50%, 4.7ghz 1.4v is for video editing and hits 80c/85c with fans 100%.

EDIT: this is stress tested with Prime95 28.10, so maximum temps possible :p

Last edited:
My DVID Dynamic Vcore and temp for 4.5GHz Hyper 212 is Prime95 v28.10 80c 1.332v, RealBench 64c 1.284v, gaming 55c 1.284v

Last edited:
My max temps gaming or video editing never come close to what I saw in P95. While great for checking stability, it really does simulate a worst case type scenario. If you're seeing 75C stress testing, you will be fine for gaming.

So i did a 30 minut realbench stress test, i can run longer but i know it will pass, did only this run to let you see the temps.
In my house its 19 degrees celsius, so everithing looks oke to you?
the vcore set in the bios is 1.335v

ehc75h.png.jpg

running prime95 27.9 gives me a little higer temp but not that much.

26.6 = SSE = gaming, office work
27.7 = SSE/AVX = x264 encoding, image editing, heavy multitasking
28.5+ = SSE/AVX/AVX2/FMA3 = x265 encoding, folding, important work, ~100% stability

You can also add command lines to "local.txt" in Prime95 directory to simulate older versions:

CpuSupportsAVX=0
CpuSupportsAVX2=0
CpuSupportsFMA3=0

Looks spot on, would recommend you to test for a minimum of 2 hours to make sure its stable, but other then that you're good to go :thup:

26.6 = SSE = gaming, office work
27.7 = SSE/AVX = x264 encoding, image editing, heavy multitasking
28.5+ = SSE/AVX/AVX2/FMA3 = x265 encoding, folding, important work, ~100% stability

You can also add command lines to "local.txt" in Prime95 directory to simulate older versions:

CpuSupportsAVX=0
CpuSupportsAVX2=0
CpuSupportsFMA3=0

Looks spot on, would recommend you to test for a minimum of 2 hours to make sure its stable, but other then that you're good to go :thup:

its already tested for alot longer this was just to show you, but thx for the other info on prime

But lets say i whant it at 4.7ghz i need 1.4v in the bios to do that with adaptive vcore is that voltage good for a 24/7 overclock.
And what are good temps then to play games, i know it can hit 90 degrees safe but i dont whant my core temps at 80 degrees while playing, so what are good temps if you play games

If you see 90c while stress testing (you want to keep it below that), you will see anything from ~60c/~80c depending on the game. As long as you keep it cool (fans at 75%-100% if you have no issue with noise) you should have no problem. You won't see almost any difference in many of the GPU-oriented games though, for example i tried out Far Cry Primal the other day and saw exactly one fps raise from 4.2ghz to 4.6ghz.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...cave-man-joy?p=7984581&viewfull=1#post7984581

Back