• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a video card or system problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Me

system
1000mhz athlon
300watt aopen powersupply
voodoo 3
384 megs pc133 ram
Everytime i play unreal T for like 10- 15 min the game will all of sudden just drop to half frame rate . I have a voodoo 3 which has been overclocked for a month and it seems to just started. Now i recently switched out my powersupply and Ram with no changes. Could it be my motherboard? it is around 17 months old. The only theory i can come up with is that the memory on the voodoo card is fried. I have restored the settings back to default mhz in the overclock menu , but it still happens. my temps when the problem occurs is 41.5 for cpu and 34-35 for system.

I had problems with the voodoo3 3000 locking up due to heating issues; I think what we're seeing are the after-effects of months of electonic wear and tear... I think your ram theory may be on the mark.

Time to upgrade?

Pinky (Jun 07, 2001 03:09 p.m.):
I had problems with the voodoo3 3000 locking up due to heating issues; I think what we're seeing are the after-effects of months of electonic wear and tear... I think your ram theory may be on the mark.

Time to upgrade?

So you think that my video cards ram was damaged because of overclocking 30mhz above spec
Or could it be the motherboard that about 16 months old now

Pinky is right I bet you just pushed it a little too hard for a longtime! try more case cooling never hurts! What are your temps like? Does the case get real hot too? I would try other games too like Rune and Deus Ex to see if the same thing happens.

I tried something this morning with my case open and a fan blowing on my motherboard.

I played unreal T and star Trek elite force for awile and it never bogged down. The only thing im thinking right now is that the fan on my processor "slot a" was designed for 550-800mhz athlons. I recently just put a 900 tbird and overclocked it to 1000mhz and slapped on the old fan, but i was still getting temps at full load that were 42 c , cpu 33-35 case. I just ordered a gold orb cooler which is made for my cpu and its rated up to 1.2 gighertz. I guess will see what happens . If that dosnt work i guss i will raise the voltage ,which is currently at 1.87 to 1.97 volts and see what happens then. I just spent 60bucks for a good 300 watt ps "a open" and new crucial ram . I did set the default the voodoo card back to 166mhz stock and still bogged down after 10-20min when playing a 3dgame.
windows and everthing else works great.
write back and let me hear what else i could do

Back